Xtreme Gaming Network

Jan 3 fun run: Ferrari F138 at Hockenheimring

Author Topic: Jan 3 fun run: Ferrari F138 at Hockenheimring  (Read 15772 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Jan 3 fun run: Ferrari F138 at Hockenheimring
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
2 x 21 lap races at Hockenheimring GP [ TRACK 1.1 DOWNLOAD ]

(Original track site)

The mod track has working DRS zones. For anyone not familiar with DRS zones, you can only use DRS (assign a button to it, as well as for KERS activation, on your controller) in those track zones. You can use KERS any time. Various apps (including AC's built in electronics app) show you when you're in a DRS zone, or for the hardcore, a little blue light illuminates on the steering wheel. DRS turns off automatically when you brake, or when you toggle the DRS button again.

Tyre wear will be 1.5x, as most F1 races are approximately 1:30 hrs in length, and in the season, we would be doing 1 hr races, so this simulates real-world full race length tyre wear.

In both races, you have to use a set of soft tyres, as well as a set of hard tyres. There is no refuelling allowed.

Weather is going to be 21 degrees and sunny.

Skins
I'm going to use skins from this pack: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8033
Downloading the skin pack is optional, however you will just see AC's default skins if you don't download it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:07:12 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Jan 3 fun run: Ferrari F138 at Hockenheimring
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »
DRS

"In Formula One, the DRS (Drag Reduction System) opens an adjustable flap on the rear wing of the car to reduce drag, thus giving a pursuing car more speed and thus a greater chance of overtaking a car in front. The FIA estimate the speed increase to be between 10–12 km/h by the end of the activation zone. When the flap is closed it creates more downforce giving better cornering."

KERS

"There are also boost systems known as kinetic energy recovery systems (KERS). These devices recover the kinetic energy created by the car's braking process. They store that energy and convert it into power that can be called upon to boost acceleration. Once the energy has been harnessed, it is stored in a battery and released at will."
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:36:18 AM »
A tip with DRS is if you have the electronics app it will show you when your in the DRS zone. AC doesnt have any limits on DRS use so can be used every lap and by every car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »
Skins
I'm going to use skins from this pack: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8033
Downloading the skin pack is optional, however you will just see AC's default skins if you don't download it.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 01:38:23 PM »
Skins
Carbon and Gold please Wally. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »
Skins
Carbon and Gold please Wally. ;)
In a fun run with no fixed grid, it's pot luck. Just keep joining and rejoining until you get the skin you want :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
I want that for the season. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »
Just taking a look at the download, seems a bit odd that there isnt a full latest version of the track and just an extra surface ini so I will probably just upload the full version in one link to make it easier for others.

With the tyre multi and these cars I dont really think thats a great idea as it just means the softer compounds are less useable for example the SS tyres will likely be useless as they wont even be good for a hotlap. Even the Softs are only good for maybe 4 or 5 good laps which will make them 2 or 3 If forcing multi tyre compounds I think it would work better keeping tyre wear at 100% and just admit its a shorter race then trying to pretend its longer with artificial tyre or fuel multi's. If proper distance races are wanted then maybe run a proper distance instead.  ;)

One thing that could be interesting in these cars if run for the season would be to have 1 compound as a compulsory one but then also force people to start the race on the same compound they are going to qualify on. A hefty penalty in race for anyone starting on different tyres should discourage that but it would also likely force different qualy strategy or race strategy depending on tyres you want to start the race on. Having higher tyre multi's would just mean everyone qualifies on the race compound likely to go further but if kept at 100% with these already fast wearing tyres it would mix up the grid more and leave it open for more strategy.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »
At 1x tyre wear, I comfortably did around 20 laps on softs. Sure, they wear, but the car was still quite driveable. They plateau.  A 1.5x tyre wear rate just means that people won't be racing on softs as much as possible, and will have to consider decent stints on other tyres. If it ends up ruling out SS tyres for qual, then so be it. There are 3 other compounds to choose from.

Even in the Praga race at 1.5x, people got away with only using softs. That's what I want to avoid.

I thought about the whole "start the race with the compound you qualify on" thing, but it's unenforceable and too much work to check. I opted not to introduce that rule.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
Does the server log data not show what compounds cars are on, I thought it did but then even stracker doesnt have tyre data for cars not running ptracker so it seems this data isnt available outside of the official in game leaderboard that shows all cars current compounds. If it did I think log parse doing a check on tyre used for best qualy lap and tyre started on race could be fairly simple to code if the current tyre compound isnt shown then its not really possible.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »
It does, but I don't have an automated way of checking tyre compounds between sessions. I think without that rule, it will mix up the grid more as even if people qialify on softs, people may choose to start the race on either softs or hards, depending on where in the race they want to use their soft tyres.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
I just ran a few laps on the combo, the DRS zones dont seem to be in the track install but I had made some earlier and it was in the server. There was an extra zone in there but now I have fixed that and so the zones should be as per the last GP at hockenheimring. The server had a drs zone before t1 for some reason so I just removed it.

Here is a link for the track including the update in 1.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kl0nqlux0buf6bv/T78_Hockenheimring_AC_v11_full_XGN_practice_race.rar
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:46:49 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »
My track had a couple of DRS zones in it already. I'm not sure now where they might have come from if they weren't in that track download. Maybe I had the DRS file that you'd already made, as we've used this  track on a Thursday.

Does your download have 1 zone before the turn 2 hairpin, and then another in the long left hander after turn 2?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 01:03:09 AM »
The track link I posted there doesnt actually have the drs zones in it as I noticed it after the upload was nearly finished. The DRS zones are in the server now under content/tracks and users dont actually need this file as they just use whatever is uploaded on the server. The original drs zones I had included 3 zones with the 2 zones the real track should have and also a third between the start line and t1 which I just removed and now its ok.

With the tyre wear I did some test on all the compounds with 150% tyre wear there was only 1.6 between SS and hard on a single lap but SS is done after a few laps and hards dont quite get to temp so long run on those will likely get some graining. Softs I did a long run of 20 laps and they were pretty worn by the end but even with this wear rate it seems the softs can go fairly long. Mediums I didnt run too much but are probably the best race tyre here as they are running in the best temp range but I didnt do long runs on them or hards.

I assume that adding fuel is not permitted in the race as it hasnt been in f1 for some time but I dont remember if the f138 had refueling the year it was racing. Fuel load even over 21 laps here makes the car significantly slower but it seems that there is option for softs or mediums along with hard thyres. Pressures are fairly different in the compounds so this may have a fair effect on race strategy as we cant change pressures in a pit stop which makes running different compounds during the race a bit trickier.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 07:49:24 AM »
That's right, no refuelling.

I'll use whatever DRS zones you have on the practice server, for consistency.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal