Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun run Feb 28 - Porsche and MX5 at Mills Metropark

Author Topic: Fun run Feb 28 - Porsche and MX5 at Mills Metropark  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Fun run Feb 28 - Porsche and MX5 at Mills Metropark
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:03 AM »
Track: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/mills-metropark.7222/

I'll put both the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017 and the Mazda MX5 Cup together in the early practice session,  so you can jump in and out of each car, then we'll have a separate qually and about 25 min race in first the MX5, then in the Porsche.

I'll update the practice server tonight.

MX5: 13 laps
Porsche: 15 laps
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:11:44 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Fun run Feb 28 - Porsche and MX5 at Mills Metropark
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »
Practice server's up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »
Without tyre warmers, the tyres are COLD and SLIPPERY until you get the temps up, which takes a good 2 or 3 laps. You have been warned!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
I like! 8) ;D 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
Had a quick run in each this arvo. Actually really liking the MX-5. Been a while since we've had something with a manual gearbox on a Tuesday.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
I like! 8) ;D 8)
Yeah, it feels really good how the tyres slowly come to you.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
I feel like a hero on lap 3 looking at the delta times! 8) :-[

2+2=√16

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
AC had an update, we neeeeeed server help   ;D

(luckily most seems to be working)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:53:48 PM by Mael »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:54 PM »
AC had an update, we neeeeeed server help   ;D
Tomorrow!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
Server's up.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
I found the Mazda a lot of fun for close pack racing, being a little slower and more predictable. The racing was closer, with 32 seconds between 1 and 10 in the race, compared to 67 seconds between 1 and 10 in the Porsche. But on the other hand, it's a lot easier to make a mistake in the Porsche, so you can make up positions due to frontrunners' mistakes. In the Mazda, if the guy in front doesn't make a mistake, it's harder to catch up.

I reckon the Mazda would be more fun out of these two, as it probably gives good, close racing more consistently. When you're lapping well in the Porsche, it feels very, very good to control the car, but it would also lead to more spins, crashes and frustrations. It would probably be a more up and down season for a lot of people. Don't forget, in the Porsche we would have some enduro rounds, so there's lots of scope for gaining positions due to mishaps etc.

If you want to try the Porsche on a KS track to compare grip with Mills, XGN server 1 is already up with the car at Silverstone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:21:30 PM by Wally »

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
I agree with Wally. the MX-5, as much as it's slower, the racing is a lot closer and a little easier to fight back. Not always so easy to pass though.  Perhaps an official track will yield better results for the porsche gt3 cup cars. I've driven it offline on a green track and never found it to be anywhere near as loose.

I still think racing the porsche gt3 will separate the field too much. If we are going to race it then I'd rather see it mixed with the other gt3 cars assuming its still in spec with them?
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 06:27:28 AM »
I still think racing the porsche gt3 will separate the field too much. If we are going to race it then I'd rather see it mixed with the other gt3 cars assuming its still in spec with them?
I thought this was more like Porsche supercup series... they are quite different, if I understand correctly, from GT3's.

Apart form this, my experience is that with the Mazda you DO NOT recover. Once you lose 2 seconds, it is damn hard to get them back, exactly because times are very close. Only hope is for the pack ahead to start battling really hard.

Yes, racing in a tight pack is fun, but lots of people will complain a lor anyway because of more crashes and more hard passes (remember the Japanese cars series?). So all in all it is not so clear to me what's best for racing. I like that the Porsche is challenging and asks for you to practice during the week and be very precise with your driving. I struggle to be precise, so it is a nice challenge, which I like. Perhaps it is a bit too similar to the Maserati series. So I understand others might like a bigger change. But I also like the instinctive way you can drive the Mazda, just trying to maximize corner speeds, and the fact that races will have some component of chaos when we are all packed (even that is a big challenge for people like me who are not the best in tight packs).

So I am not sure, but I would not make it so simple ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »
For me Mazda is a bit boring to drive but may provide close racing, the porsche cup is much more rewarding to drive and also provided some good racing. Early on some just struggled more in it with the colder tyres but thats another thing I liked about it.

A few more laps in it and some setup work will make it more controllable for all but Id put my vote towards this over the mazda as something id lrefer to drive. Either car though Id hope there is a mix of long and short tracks for the season and not just the usual system of slower cars on short tight tracks which takes away most of the passing opportunities.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal