Xtreme Gaming Network

S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 18540 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
Race results and charts
Season Standings

Round Points
Marty    72
Guybrush Threepwood    69
Jeremy    66
Ysu    66
StanDaam    60
Matthew111    57
Wally    54
Phil.8    51
Bacchulum    48
Gratulin    45
Simone    42
Bafs17    39
Rob    36
Grubbet    33
Joe    30
Freezer    27
JamieP    24
Benana    21
Imperious    18

Congratulations to Marty on the race win.

Season Champion is Matthew111. A clear and well deserved, with most race wins and most poles.

Congratulations to the Season Podium
1. Matthew111, 480
2. StanDaam, 468
3. Marty, 397

And the winning team is Achilles Heels, Guybrush and Marty, on 862 points to Struggle Street Racing Crew's 845.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:10:28 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S7R8: Donington Park GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »
Here are the Season Stats.

And a summary:

Best average finish: Guybrush, 2.7
Most wins: Matthew111, 5
Most podiums: StanDaam, 10
Most poles: Matthew111, 4
Most fastest laps: Guybrush, 5
Most consistent: Freezer, 3
Hunter: Matthew111 and StanDaam, 3
Hunted: StanDaam, 4
Busiest: StanDaam, 5
Loneliest: Bafs17, JamieP, 2
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »
Thanks for another fun season Wally.

After lots of poor results by me and some bad luck I finally put a race together and just snuck away with the win, In Qualy its the first time Ive been anywhere near my PB in qualy. It was probably the first time I was faster in qualy then in the race too all season.

From pole I had an ok start and just decided to take the inside hoping nobody would get around the outside, I saw a little carnage in the mirror and had a reasonable gap after the first lap. From there on I decided to just keep going til it ran out of fuel hoping to have better rubber at the end and hopefully hang on to the lead after both stops.

The first stop on lap 15 GB was much closer then Id hoped and I only just hung onto the lead into t1, then I wasnt sure If I wanted to go longer on the second stint or come in early to avoid GB getting ahead with an undercut. I pitted the lap after him and this time I exited alongside but he got me into t1. I then just tried to hang on knowing hed be pushing hard trying to get away, then once hed used his tyres a little I could see I had a bit more pace. It took a few laps to get past including one failed attempt where I spun him then waited to let him back past. Another couple laps and finally I got past, then just tried to get enough of a gap to be able to hang on and it was just enough. Luckily the Lafa was the slightly better car so I had more hope against him.

Well done to Stan and Matthew on their seasons, Matthew had the pace pretty much all season with lots of wins and poles. It was a bit of a shame that Matthew and Jeremey both had incidents on lap 1 this race as it would have been quite a bit trickier if they were also up there pushing along.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Thanks for organising another awesome season wally
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
The hardest p6 of my life haha was happy scoring a pb on my last lap of qualy just missing out on pole.

Was planning on a nice simple race staying out of trouble and bringing the car home for the title but that all came to a quick end on the exit of t1 lap 1 haha got launched into a wall off the side of guybrush's car after what was the slightest of touches, so from there the car was rubbish but still able to be driven straight so I regathered myself and charged on lol. Picked off a few cars to get to about p7 I think a few seconds off Wally and stan (my bitter championship nemesis!! :P ) eventually got on the back of wally with phil after his mishap and we battled out for a bit until phil lagged into my car at the last turn so I lost another 6 secs to wally again which took a few laps driving like a mad man to get back again. Came out fairly close to wally after my second stop but had Jeremy to contend with too who had good pace so he ended up clearing us both, after a few laps I managed to get around wally for p6 and that's where I stayed.
Was a rewarding race despite its difficulties lol car was stuffed and with the title on the line I had to drive it like I was on a qualy lap for 35 laps to salvage any kind of result that would secure it lol so I was pretty happy and exhausted with that p6 lucky it was enough :) had a blast this season so thanks to everyone for making it happen!

Congrats to marty on the race win too after a hard few rounds, waited for the last race to come good lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:04:54 PM by Matthew111 »
do you even motorsports?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
Pretty poor night from me. Was sat nicely behind Gratulin up until lap 8 where I spun off on the downhill section loosing a few places, then I did exactly the same thing on lap 9 putting me in last. Had another spin on that section later on and tried desperately to not go back onto the track as I knew there were people coming up to lap me, but of course ended up stopped right on the middle of the track. Luckily Bird saw and avoided me and I managed to get off the track.

Lots of people lapped me, then I had Freezer behind me but I assumed he was also going to lap me as I hadn't taken my last stop and I thought I was in last, but then we both pitted together, I came out in front but went wide on turn 1 and he went past. Then spent many laps chasing him down but couldn't get past, tyres were getting slippery and eventually he lost his line on lap 34 and went wide, I braked too hard to make sure I was inside him and also went off, but I was able to rejoin quicker and got ahead. Despite the poor start the chase at the end was pretty fun.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
It was a clean race for me. I kept up with the lead pack for a little while, behind Stan for a while, but couldn't keep up. I was going to do two long stints, but midway through my second stint, Guybrush came out from a stop behind me. Guybrush hassling me on fresher tyres? No thanks. So I got to about 13 laps from the end and then pitted early for a full tank run home. A bit later, Jeremy and Matthew caught up and made clean passes, helped by me undesteering wide a bit.

Thanks to lapped racers for making it easy to pass them.

That right hander at the bottom of the hill is one of the great racing corners.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
Really glad I gave these cars another try after a washout of a season for me. Finally got the hang of the longer races by just focussing on consistency and keeping it on the track. I also got a bit lucky in the first few laps when there were some collisions and slides. But I think because I was just trying to stay alive helped.

Simone and I exchanged mistakes for a while until he got ahead on the first pit stop. Managed to do a better pit stop second time around (missed the box first time and had to back up). Then I followed Bacchulum to the end. Thanks to Bacchulum for giving me a smooth driver to follow in the last 10 or so laps. I wouldn't have kept my concentration without his car to focus on.

Got 'Most Consistent' AND 'Hunter' award for the night - Yeah!!

And thanks to Wally for a great season. You were correct yet again in your choice of season format. I learnt a lot after really struggling with these cars.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:09:32 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »
Very enjoyable racing thanks Wally and everyone.

I started the race third on the grid and got a reasonable get away, sidling up beside Matthew and right behind Marty into T1.  I held the inside line behind Marty and Matthew and I were heading into T2 side by side.  Not sure what happened; I saw I had some room on Helicorsa and moved over slightly so I could take the corner without under steering to the other side of the track, but it seemed that just after I'd moved over Matthew may not have seen me and came over as well?  Anyway, one of those incidents.

So that sent Matthew and I flying.  I was able to stay on track, albeit losing a bit of speed and then I saw a Ferrari coming up behind so I gave some room on the inside though T3 but the slippery track resulted in that car under steering into me and sent me across the grass, coming out behind Phil8 and Bird.

I was stuck on their tail for a few laps before getting a good run out of the chicane and throwing it up the inside of Bird into the hairpin.  Then I followed Phil8 for a few more laps before I got fairly close and managed to take advantage of some under steer from Phil.

Pitted at the end of Lap 9, then had some clear air to put in some decent laps.  With the damage sustained earlier in the race though it felt like I didn't have much front end grip.  Anyway, did what I could and came up just metres behind Marty once he had stopped.  We ran around together for a bit and came up to lap Benana and Freezer who were having a battle of their own.  Not sure if Feezer didn't see the blue flags (?), but seemed to almost give me the jump on Marty, however Freezer let Marty past on the straight down to the chicane, but may not have realised I was also lapping him as I followed Marty into the chicane assuming Freezer was letting me by as well, however not to be the case and we collided.

I kept pushing on though and then pitted again before Marty.  Again I got a decent undercut and managed to come up side-by-side with Marty as he exited from his final pit stop, however took the lead as I had the inside line into T1.  Kept Marty behind for a little bit.  Got a little tap into the hairpin, but Marty was good enough to wait for me and the battle resumed, however not for long as I think a lap or 2 later he got  past.  From then I was just trying to put in some decent laps to keep up in case he made a mistake, which wasn't easy on worn tyres and a damaged car but a bit of fun.

I think we ended up about 2 seconds apart across the finish line, but those 2 seconds seemed like a mile when we were racing and an impossibility to reduce that gap!

Good fun and well done to Matthew for taking out the season, StandDaam for a well deserved 2nd and Marty for a late charge to 3rd.  I only completed a few races but the format seemed excellent - a good mix of sprint / reverse grid / distance races.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:13:02 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
I had a great race.
Managed to avoid the early accidents, then chased Guy & Jeremy (I think). 
I was able to stick to Guy for a good while, then he went to pit early.   
Later at my pit, I've been staring at the tyre selection for a good 4-5 seconds, before making the executive decision it'll not be the street tyre :)

Even later I had a stupid off at the fast downhilll section, losing another 4-5 seconds.  Stan was nicely chasing me in after that mistake, for a while.

So, lost around 8-10s on stupid things, and I've finished 10s behind Guy.  How about that.

Thanks for the hard work, Wally!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Yeah, you had some really good pace Bird.  I was struggling to pull away from you.  I was on 3 warnings from PLP and was trying to get a 10 second gap to you (I think this is the penalty?).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
Yeah, you had some really good pace Bird.  I was struggling to pull away from you.  I was on 3 warnings from PLP and was trying to get a 10 second gap to you (I think this is the penalty?).
Yep, 10 seconds.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
Very good race!  I`ll be honest with you guys the last 3 laps i had nothing left in terms of stamina,concentration and .....vibrations...lol...no i was stuffed seriously.Very close field i do not think i could have done better  i have been running the whole season with the default set and probably i could have been faster if twitching the set but ,just do not have time to play around these days.
Fantastic start with frantic duels in the first few laps,too bad i lost it touching those horribly noisy curbs  i slid 100 mt without damage but .soon after that i got involved in an accident i the last corner which slowed me down even further.
Great chase and battle with bacchulum and gratulin(good fun!!) but i could not put my nose in front of them.
Good fun guys!!!

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
BTW I removed all Python apps except for PLP for this race and did not have a single stutter or warp.

Could I suggest that everyone try this in next week's trial race?

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »
Congrats to Marty for finally getting a win this season!!  :D (and to GB n Bird as well!!)

A bit of a quiet night for myself, nestled in between Bird and Wally for a lot of the race. Didn't quite have the pace to challenge Bird. Ended up getting run down by Jeremy (he had good pace!!) towards the finish, came home in 5th.

A big congrats to Matthew for taking out the comp!!. My nemisis!! proved to be too fast and consistent throughout the season, a well deserved victory for sure.  :D

Cheers also to Wally for doing the organisings, stella job as always.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal