Xtreme Gaming Network

Jul 28 fun run: Lotus 2-11 at Vallelunga

Author Topic: Jul 28 fun run: Lotus 2-11 at Vallelunga  (Read 13072 times)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
Re: Jul 28 fun run: Lotus 2-11 at Vallelunga
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 08:44:48 AM »
Schweeet, got 2 Hunter awards!!!  :P
Much more coveted than those common ole race wins!!  ;D
Fun cars to drive, just not as many dicings as I would've expected.  :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »
Struggled a bit with these cars and couldn't find the pace. Spun off a couple of times in the first race trying to drive it too hard.

Was slower in the GT4 in qually due to not driving it before, but started to get used to it after a while and I think it would be quicker after some practice. Had a few exchanges with Rob before giving it too much out of the last corner on lap 10 putting it into the wall.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Jul 28 fun run: Lotus 2-11 at Vallelunga
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
First race using h-shifter AND heel-and-toe. Good fun but so many crunched gear changes! Who said it was faster with the h-shifter??? Lots of dicing with Bacchulum and Grubbet who were faster but spun out early in the race and then took a few laps to catch back up and overtake. Too many things to do at once - steer, change gears, heal-toe, watch for dive bombs etc etc!

2nd race - ping went south. Everyone was warping around me so had to quit out. But GT4 not as interesting to drive and handicapping didn't work. All the faster guys were still faster and the GT4 guys lost the opportunity to dice in the 2 Eleven. I still don't get who handicapping benefits - it doesn't seem to make the racing in the last half of the field any better. If anything it is better racing when everyone is in the same car and we are racing against drivers of similar pace.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
I still don't get who handicapping benefits - it doesn't seem to make the racing in the last half of the field any better. If anything it is better racing when everyone is in the same car and we are racing against drivers of similar pace.

Same here,  and ballast, I don't get that either,  will just be the same as car handicapping
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
Good fun to drive i think i need to do some setup work on it to get it quicker and maybe not be half asleep when im driving lol but still enjoyable. I noticed people were more spread out in these but could have been the track, i dont fancy it much.

Race 1 my wheel fell off so i spent a few laps putting that back right lol and race 2 i didnt realise there was a qualy so i was just mucking around with setup both races i was alone for most except towards the end of race 1 where i had to fend marty off.
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
I hadnt driven this car here much but had quite a few races on my servers in ktm vs 2 eleven the last few weeks. I found it a bit tricky at Vallelunga and ran a few laps the other day just to try and get closer to GB's pace.

I still found the last few turns pretty tricky needing to be quite carefull through the chicane and final turn. Very easy to loose the rear there and lots of time along with that.

Race 1 I didnt have a very good start from 4th and ende up losing a spot to Wally during the first lap. I tried adding a bit more rear wing for the race to improve the chicane a little and maybe straighten the rear out a bit through most turns. It felt better in corners but was a little down on pace in straights and I struggled passing Wally, also it added sone understeer in the faster turns which isnt that good. Took quite a few laps to pass Wally and I needed him to make a small error first for me to get it done. I then caught Matthew but again couldnt quite get into position for a pass. At the end made a few small mistakes and he hot away again.

Race 2 started in 2nd and went back to the lower wing setting hoping to give GB some more challenge. First 3 or 4 laps he killed me for pace  :'( I was overdriving a little. Then I started putting in some better laps but was still losing a few tenths each lap. At the end I got in a few slightly quicker laps but didnt get much closer.

I think the 2 eleven is a much more fun car to drive then the abarth, I didnt see any of the gt4's on track in practice or race. So I have no idea how they compared to each other on track. When I drove it a while ago even though it was a fair bit quicker it seemed more tricky to get the pace from it. If someone is 3 seconds off the pace in the standard car I dont think they will necessarily make this gap up even if the quicker guys would be that much quicker if in the gt4.

Raceing wise id still probably rather an abarth season for something different. Racing is closer but as always in equal cars passing is never going to be easy.

This is where gt3 cars can be quite fun as each car has strengths and weaknesses but similar times. It spices the racing up a bit more and I still think rather then a gt4 this car against the 2 eleven would get better racing if some ktms were in there instead of that.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
First race using h-shifter AND heel-and-toe. Good fun but so many crunched gear changes! Who said it was But GT4 not as interesting to drive and handicapping didn't work. All the faster guys were still faster and the GT4 guys lost the opportunity to dice in the 2 Eleven. I still don't get who handicapping benefits - it doesn't seem to make the racing in the last half of the field any better. If anything it is better racing when everyone is in the same car and we are racing against drivers of similar pace.

I think handicapping of any sort, be it ballast or car selection, benefits everyone by closing up the field and making the racing more interesting. Look at how often Guybrush just sails off into the distance. He never races anyone, and often has to spice up his races by deliberately starting from the back of the grid. I'm sure the same is true at the tail of the grid too, for guys who get left behind only to be lapped.

We've seen it in netKar with ballast... the racing was always close, and when we tried a race without ballast for the hell of it, it was found by all to be deflating. The leaders just took off, and it was much more like hotlapping again.

The handicapping last night was a bit half-assed, because there weren't enough GT4s, with some people dropping out, and insufficient practice after the earlier prac and race in the base car. There wasn't enough time to come to grips with the faster car. Also, the GT4 isn't fast enough to totally close up the tail of the field, just to bring it a bit closer. We had a 4 to 5 second gap in lap times in the 2 Elevens, and the GT4 is only going to make up a couple of seconds on lap time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:17 PM »

First race using h-shifter AND heel-and-toe. Good fun but so many crunched gear changes! Who said it was But GT4 not as interesting to drive and handicapping didn't work. All the faster guys were still faster and the GT4 guys lost the opportunity to dice in the 2 Eleven. I still don't get who handicapping benefits - it doesn't seem to make the racing in the last half of the field any better. If anything it is better racing when everyone is in the same car and we are racing against drivers of similar pace.

I think handicapping of any sort, be it ballast or car selection, benefits everyone by closing up the field and making the racing more interesting. Look at how often Guybrush just sails off into the distance. He never races anyone, and often has to spice up his races by deliberately starting from the back of the grid. I'm sure the same is true at the tail of the grid too, for guys who get left behind only to be lapped.

We've seen it in netKar with ballast... the racing was always close, and when we tried a race without ballast for the hell of it, it was found by all to be deflating. The leaders just took off, and it was much more like hotlapping again.

The handicapping last night was a bit half-assed, because there weren't enough GT4s, with some people dropping out, and insufficient practice after the earlier prac and race in the base car. There wasn't enough time to come to grips with the faster car. Also, the GT4 isn't fast enough to totally close up the tail of the field, just to bring it a bit closer. We had a 4 to 5 second gap in lap times in the 2 Elevens, and the GT4 is only going to make up a couple of seconds on lap time.
Don't mind me - just giving vent after disappointing ping issues!

But also like to remind people that the mid-pack guys don't really need or benefit from handicapping - Just the outliers at either end of the field.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
GB needs to either tone down the hacks or drive more less good. Handicapping I think spices things up to a point and if it brings more people closer to the front of the pack then its not a bad thing.

Its true the midfield doesnt really need this but the main idea is to have the front and back of pack all get a little closer to the midfield. I think if done properly it wont make it impossible for the most handicapped guy in this case GB to win. But also it should also give the guy at the back of the pack a chance to compete with the guys further up the field.

In the end those further back will likely be less likely to win simply due to being a little less consistant but their beat lap times should be closer to the guys up front. I think Ballast will be interesting in the new build and wonder if its possible to chnage the season to some new cars such as maybe the Nismo GTR seeing we get 1.2 this week.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
We'll let the dust settle a bit on 1.2 and have some time to get accustomed to the new cars. It'll only be a shortish season. Don't want to rush anything like happened with shoehorning the new DTM cars into a season, like before.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:59:58 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:15 PM »

Don't mind me - just giving vent after disappointing ping issues!

But also like to remind people that the mid-pack guys don't really need or benefit from handicapping - Just the outliers at either end of the field.

The thing with handicapping though (ballast) is that the mid-pack guys shouldn't really get much either way, so the racing should be just the same because whoever is exactly at the mid-point is the 0 base for performance.

The problem last night was that those who were in the GT4 probably didn't practice enough in it.  I took it for a run and it took quite a few laps to get to grips with it.

I think ballast will be good, although I think if we could apply certain grip parameters per driver it would be even better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal