Xtreme Gaming Network

S8R1: Imola post-race chat

Author Topic: S8R1: Imola post-race chat  (Read 37665 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S8R1: Imola post-race chat
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
I'll start with a Tech Tip:
Dusty CPU fan = 99 degree temps and 30-40 fps.
Clean CPU fan + new thermal paste = 50 degree temps and solid 90 fps.

As for the race, like Wally said I found the GX pretty taily compared to practice so it was more difficult to brake & push it in the bends than previously.
Qualified mid pack in R1 and kept it clean.  Wally snuck by a few laps in and I pushed to catch him but could only hold the gap.
R2 qualify was pretty average and I started down the back.  Worked my way from 18th to 11th but a little spin saw me drop back.  After the stop I had Skaife chasing me for the coveted 14th position but in the dying laps he gave me a little tap and we spun.  Didn't end up dropping a spot and dragged it home.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 02:28:40 PM »
Hi Christopher. I am sorry you felt my pass was unfair. After race I checked my replay as I wanted to be sure I was not unfair there. For all I can see, I entered the corner clean, stayed completely on the inside line throughout the pass, and we touched when your front wheel was half a car behind mine. Also, from the replay it seems that there was plenty more space on the outside and that you turned into the inside line while I was there.

I am very sorry you felt I was not fair. As it might well be possible that my interpretation of the replay is wrong, I apologize.

Cheers!

I have always raced with the attitude that it's the passing cars responsibility to pull it off safely, it's a rule I picked up here many years ago and it has served me well. I gave you more than a cars width on the inside and it still wasn't enough. The fact of the matter is you would not have got the position without the bump and that's what I am unhappy about. You had a car advantage over me and you still felt the need to push your case through a fast tight corner, that really only has one line on lap one of a 17 lap race...

At the end of the day rubbing is racing and no harm no fowl. Just giving my opinion on the events.

I apologize. Found myself side-by-side with you during the straight and thought to go for the pass. I did not know what car you were in and whether I had an advantage. All I knew is that I would have accepted to be passed there in those circumstances and I would have not closed the line. I am a very inexperienced driver and so I am very happy to learn more from you guys. I will look again at the replay and will try to learn to improve from there. Thank you for letting me know.

Offline Bafs17

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »
Just to clarify, in race 2 I thought that the amount of fuel on the bar while in the pits was how much goes in the car. However, that was the amount of fuel left in the car. It mean't that the last 5 laps was a formula one style race for me where I had to do a lot of short shifting and lift and coast on every corner just to make it home. My plan of finishing strong on mediums was thrown out the window lol.

To be honest I thought Joe did get me in the end. Not sure how the timing system works so I'll leave that dilemma for Wally to sort out. I'm happy to concede that position to Joe. Looks like GB had a good view of it.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »
then i saw(i think)  stand daam going wide at "Piratella" we were in pair until "acque minerali" i gave all the space in the world,as usual,but it was not enough and i ended being pushed on the grass.

This gave Simone an outside run on me going down to Aqua Minerali, I took the inside line around the corner and received a bump as I was exiting the corner

Just clearing my name!! (its all about rep n street cred don't ya know!!) :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
Just to clarify, in race 2 I thought that the amount of fuel on the bar while in the pits was how much goes in the car. However, that was the amount of fuel left in the car. It mean't that the last 5 laps was a formula one style race for me where I had to do a lot of short shifting and lift and coast on every corner just to make it home. My plan of finishing strong on mediums was thrown out the window lol.

To be honest I thought Joe did get me in the end. Not sure how the timing system works so I'll leave that dilemma for Wally to sort out. I'm happy to concede that position to Joe. Looks like GB had a good view of it.

Yeah, in the replay, Joe was in front at race end. There's still something screwy in the log output - the sum of your lap times doesn't equal your total time as reported in the server log. I've reported it to the devs. I'll look at improving it.

Edit: I've swapped Joe's and Baf's points for race 2, based on the replay.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:59:27 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »
Hi Christopher. I am sorry you felt my pass was unfair. After race I checked my replay as I wanted to be sure I was not unfair there. For all I can see, I entered the corner clean, stayed completely on the inside line throughout the pass, and we touched when your front wheel was half a car behind mine. Also, from the replay it seems that there was plenty more space on the outside and that you turned into the inside line while I was there.

I am very sorry you felt I was not fair. As it might well be possible that my interpretation of the replay is wrong, I apologize.

Cheers!

I have always raced with the attitude that it's the passing cars responsibility to pull it off safely, it's a rule I picked up here many years ago and it has served me well. I gave you more than a cars width on the inside and it still wasn't enough. The fact of the matter is you would not have got the position without the bump and that's what I am unhappy about. You had a car advantage over me and you still felt the need to push your case through a fast tight corner, that really only has one line on lap one of a 17 lap race...

At the end of the day rubbing is racing and no harm no fowl. Just giving my opinion on the events.

I apologize. Found myself side-by-side with you during the straight and thought to go for the pass. I did not know what car you were in and whether I had an advantage. All I knew is that I would have accepted to be passed there in those circumstances and I would have not closed the line. I am a very inexperienced driver and so I am very happy to learn more from you guys. I will look again at the replay and will try to learn to improve from there. Thank you for letting me know.

I took a look at the replay and assume you guys are talking about race 2 lap 1 piratella, in the replay I cant see Grat having done anything wrong. He was inside and even ahead to the apex with 2 wheels over the line on the left yet got squeezed, I think Christoph was a bit harder done by on the exit of Aqua minerali where Simone re entered and hit him side on. I really struggle to see what Grat may have done different there as there is no reason he cant make a move there and I have been side by side through just about every turn with people at Imola without issues in the past.

Its going to slow down both cars but if you both concede some line and pace to each other you can get through all these corners side by side. In race 2 GB could have challenged me a little more earlier but he saw when he did it was slowing us both down and bringing Jeremey more into play. Seeing he had the extra ballast then he was going to be more of a sitting duck if he got slowed too much in a battle, even the time he did the small dive bomb into the chicane I saw it coming so went more left and he went more right so as to avoid contact. I was entitled to take my normal line but it would have meant we would have crashed.

But in the incident with Grat here I think he simply wasn't left racing room, also contact was before the apex so hard to say if he would have scrubbed wide coming in too hot. But seeing the collision was already there the way id see it is the outside car was at fault, contact itself was very minor too but I don't think Grat drove unfairly or gained any advantage having left as much room as he possibly could have.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've fixed the position mix-up when it was very close. I've updated the race results in the first post. I also fixed something broken by 1.2.3 so the results now show the car and ballast.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
Simone re entered???   ::)

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »

Cheers!

I took a look at the replay and assume you guys are talking about race 2 lap 1 piratella, in the replay I cant see Grat having done anything wrong. He was inside and even ahead to the apex with 2 wheels over the line on the left yet got squeezed, I think Christoph was a bit harder done by on the exit of Aqua minerali where Simone re entered and hit him side on. I really struggle to see what Grat may have done different there as there is no reason he cant make a move there and I have been side by side through just about every turn with people at Imola without issues in the past.

Its going to slow down both cars but if you both concede some line and pace to each other you can get through all these corners side by side. In race 2 GB could have challenged me a little more earlier but he saw when he did it was slowing us both down and bringing Jeremey more into play. Seeing he had the extra ballast then he was going to be more of a sitting duck if he got slowed too much in a battle, even the time he did the small dive bomb into the chicane I saw it coming so went more left and he went more right so as to avoid contact. I was entitled to take my normal line but it would have meant we would have crashed.

But in the incident with Grat here I think he simply wasn't left racing room, also contact was before the apex so hard to say if he would have scrubbed wide coming in too hot. But seeing the collision was already there the way id see it is the outside car was at fault, contact itself was very minor too but I don't think Grat drove unfairly or gained any advantage having left as much room as he possibly could have.

I'm sorry Marty, but I disagree. I both slowed down considerably and left room for grat. I would have had to nearly stop my car if I was going to give up any more track space there, grat was passing me and I gave him room at that point it's his job to get around that corner on the piece of track he has chosen and he couldn't do it without hitting me. Closing the line?? The track went to the left and so did I... I knew he was there and did my best to give space, my steering lock was open at the point of contact. I was not trying to be defensive in that moment. I was simply trying to get through lap one. The fact that he was in front of me is proof of that. I grabbed the brakes very early in an effort to make sure we could both get through without contact.

Just because you can go side by side doesn't mean you should, The Piratella is not known for being a passing place, it's not even a good place to set one up as the next corner is also a single line entry. It has on the other hand ruined many races over the years.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:38:55 AM by christopheraser »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »

Cheers!

I'm sorry Wally, but I disagree. I both slowed down considerably and left room for grat. I would have had to nearly stop my car if I was going to give up any more track space there, grat was passing me and I gave him room at that point it's his job to get around that corner on the piece of track he has chosen and he couldn't do it without hitting me. Closing the line?? The track went to the left and so did I... I knew he was there and did my best to give space. My point here is that I was not trying to be defensive in that moment. I was simply trying to get through lap one.

Christopher: I wish you understand that I have nothing personal with you here and that I am answering only because I wish to see better your point and trying to understand what I can do in the future. The point I tried to make, and---as far as I understand---also Marty makes, is that if I have my two inside wheels on the white line at the moment we touch, then it means that you did not leave a car-width for me. You seem to assume that I would have got wide without the bump, but I do not understand why you think so. From what I can see in the replay, it looks like I was making the corner exactly on the inside line, leaving you all the rest of the track. I am not saying you should have left more space necessarily, but once I am on the apex I cannot do more than stay on the inside white line.

I understand you think I should have not attempted the pass in the first place. But if you think my line is dangerous while in the corner, I would like to understand why you think so. Any new information is really good for me at this stage.

In any case: I promise I will try to be more conservative in future occasions, as I really do not wish to annoy anybody. You seem to be a really nice guy, so I am sorry I did it.

Hugs,
grat

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

Cheers!

I'm sorry Wally, but I disagree. I both slowed down considerably and left room for grat. I would have had to nearly stop my car if I was going to give up any more track space there, grat was passing me and I gave him room at that point it's his job to get around that corner on the piece of track he has chosen and he couldn't do it without hitting me. Closing the line?? The track went to the left and so did I... I knew he was there and did my best to give space. My point here is that I was not trying to be defensive in that moment. I was simply trying to get through lap one.

Christopher: I wish you understand that I have nothing personal with you here and that I am answering only because I wish to see better your point and trying to understand what I can do in the future. The point I tried to make, and---as far as I understand---also Marty makes, is that if I have my two inside wheels on the white line at the moment we touch, then it means that you did not leave a car-width for me. You seem to assume that I would have got wide without the bump, but I do not understand why you think so. From what I can see in the replay, it looks like I was making the corner exactly on the inside line, leaving you all the rest of the track. I am not saying you should have left more space necessarily, but once I am on the apex I cannot do more than stay on the inside white line.

I understand you think I should have not attempted the pass in the first place. But if you think my line is dangerous while in the corner, I would like to understand why you think so. Any new information is really good for me at this stage.

In any case: I promise I will try to be more conservative in future occasions, as I really do not wish to annoy anybody. You seem to be a really nice guy, so I am sorry I did it.

Hugs,
grat

This is not personal and I just want my opinion understood too. I have been sim racing for nearly a decade now and I know how to steer a simulated car around a simulated race track, especially in wheel to wheel battles. I could give multiple credentials of other racers who would be willing to vouch for my ability to battle wheel to wheel in a clean fair way, a lot of them are ex XGN racers. There are two sides to every story, it takes two to tango, yada yada and I accept that, but I should be able to post my race report without having to defend it on two separate occasions.

I take your point and this post does make me feel better, but in future I am just going not post race reports I think.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:23:04 AM by christopheraser »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »

Cheers!

Hugs,
grat

This is not personal and I just want my opinion understood too. I have been sim racing for nearly a decade now and I know how to steer a simulated car around a simulated race track, especially in wheel to wheel battles. I could give multiple credentials of other racers who would be willing to vouch for my ability to battle wheel to wheel in a clean fair way, a lot of them are ex XGN racers. There are two sides to every story, it takes two to tango, yada yada and I accept that, but I should be able to post my race report without having to defend it on two separate occasions.

I take your point and this post does make me feel better, but in future I am just going not post race reports I think.

Hi Christopher: absolutely I did not mean to either (i) suggest you were not an experienced racer or (ii) make you "defend" your post. I mentioned several times I am really inexperienced and I only wanted to "defend" myself, as from your report it might have sounded like I was a really unfair guy. This being my first race with all of you, I just did not want to give a bad impression to everybody. Only that.

As for Marty: I cannot speak for him, but my sense is he (i) really likes to talk about racing contacts and (ii) maybe wanted to help the new guy (me).

PLEASE keep posting your race reports. I beg you. I would feel horrible if you do not because of me. Race reports are great! I love them. And even when they generate a bit of a polemic. Why not? I learned a lot about how others can feel my moves affect them. Maybe others new to simracing like me learned as well. PLEASE have a beer on me (if you're in Sydney, I am more than happy to actually do this in first person) and keep posting as you did before!

Cheers!

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
You are a ridiculously nice fellow =).

I'm not in Sydney, but thanks for the offer.

I am just going to have to agree to disagree on the other stuff. Maybe more could have been done by both. In the end it was a non event really.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:50:26 AM by christopheraser »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »

Cheers!

I'm sorry Wally, but I disagree. I both slowed down considerably and left room for grat. I would have had to nearly stop my car if I was going to give up any more track space there, grat was passing me and I gave him room at that point it's his job to get around that corner on the piece of track he has chosen and he couldn't do it without hitting me. Closing the line?? The track went to the left and so did I... I knew he was there and did my best to give space, my steering lock was open at the point of contact. I was not trying to be defensive in that moment. I was simply trying to get through lap one. The fact that he was in front of me is proof of that. I grabbed the brakes very early in an effort to make sure we could both get through without contact.

Just because you can go side by side doesn't mean you should, The Piratella is not known for being a passing place, it's not even a good place to set one up as the next corner is also a single line entry. It has on the other hand ruined many races over the years.

"I'm sorry Wally, but I disagree..."
That wasn't my post, just to be clear.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
The only reason I made any mention is in one of my servers grat asked me if I saw him do anything wrong in that incident, I took a look and couldn't see anything really. Its his first race and so he wants to learn from his mistakes, I am no admin here just another racer and simply gave my view on it. You made mention of it so he clearly wants to know if he is in the wrong and why but in my view this image shows inside car hasn't been left enough room.

In slow motion on a second look its even more 50/50 but still contact was so minor and basically grat had won the corner at that point the way I see it. Was he running deep on exit is the hard thing to say as contact was made early and while he still had 2 wheels on or even inside the white line. Maybe hitting the kerb has pushed him a touch wide but he doesn't exactly have one car space between you and the white line there at the point of contact so that's why I say he is squeezed from the outside and not at fault.

Theres no reason to not give a race report and discussing incidents is purely so we all can learn from it, heck I may be the only one that sees this incident the way I do. But without discussing such things then nobody really knows what is expected

[youtube]bpKNRQiNVDk[/youtube]

Here is the incident with Simone in the very next corner, you were much harder done by here though its purely an accident on Simone's part. He only turned back into you because it got loose on the kerbs even though he is 4 wheels off track I would see it as a racing incident especially as it didn't hurt you too much, but had he kept 2 wheels on track then the inside car would need to leave room but I'm pretty sure you don't need to leave room for cars off the track and he wasn't pushed off just ran wide on his own.

[youtube]kEH__N5855U[/youtube]

Also Matthew and Jeremy are still out finding every bug and glitch to somehow end what looks like a promising battle up front. This one here was a classic as Jeremy was nice enough to leave a landmine for his team mate, I actually saw Matthew warp infront of me at exactly the same point in one of the sessions but cant remember exactly. Guybrush and I had a big warp between us on the front straight maybe just before this incident. Luckily for us we were not drafting at the time as it would have cleaned us both up, really would be nice if the netcode has some improvement around these random dropped packets. Even just disable collision for a car that has not sent position information rather then leave a random collision landmine on a part of track.

[youtube]2MMamW1WG-g[/youtube]
[youtube]9XINXDZg3hs[/youtube]

Don't take this post in the wrong way, I purely just like to discuss incidents so that we can all have a better understanding of what should be done. Its nothing against any drivers just judging the cars in the circumstances they end up in. Any time I have an incident I first check to see if its something I did wrong, you need to be able to step back and just see it as 2 cars and be open to the fact you may also be at fault at times. It has helped me learn and become better racing others closer but then the closer you race the more likely it is there will be some contact. Guy and I have had some very close races with barely any contact which is quite a surprise, I don't even recall any time he has hit me but I gave him a good dive bomb shunt in the Abarth practice race on the last lap.

Jeremy clearly didn't want his team mate to challenge him in the race but that's a civil war they can deal with amongst themselves. Its been going on for a while as they seem to use practice as simply landmine location scouting to try and get each other on race nite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal