Xtreme Gaming Network

Pit lane penalty app: 2.00

Author Topic: Pit lane penalty app: 2.00  (Read 189916 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: New pit lane penalty app: 1.9 for download
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
Maybe App overlap needs to be enabled?
It might not show if you have another app placed there?
(just guessing, haven't tried it yet)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2016, 11:42:14 PM »
New version 1.9 to download in the first post, featuring new start lights that allow jump starts.

In a race session, the app displays its own set of start lights in the top right corner of the screen just after the AC start lights go out. You ignore the AC lights and go once the 5 PLP red lights go out (they light up one at a time, hold for a few random seconds, then go out). It will be possible to do a jump start if you go to soon. The start lights go yellow to signify a jump start. You will get a 20 second post-race penalty for a jump start.
Wally, we are tersting on server now. We are gettinbg no  lights but 20 sec penalties!!!
Ah fk, I forgot to put the graphics in the zip file. Tomorrow...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
OK, zip file is fixed to include the missing images. It might make a little more sense now :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
OK, zip file is fixed to include the missing images. It might make a little more sense now :)
:) Thanks

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »
I think if jump starts are possible the regular penalty used in most real classes being a drive through should be applied rather then a 20 second penalty.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:50 AM »
I think if jump starts are possible the regular penalty used in most real classes being a drive through should be applied rather then a 20 second penalty.
I think a drive through's a bit harsh, and it ruin's peoples races by taking them right out of the action in a sprint. Better to let the race unfold, and then penalise afterwards, like with the cutting. 20 seconds is already double the 10 second cutting penalty.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
I may be on my own but I think if you get the penalty and it can easily be served during a race its better then a post race time penalty. The time penalty really doesnt mean that much as it doesnt have any real effect on your race other then points penalty post race.

Traditionally a junp start in every series I have seen has been a drive through, if thats seem as too harsh I really dont see the point of having it.

A drive through at most tracks is around 20 seconds anyway and people wont end up stuck in battles they arent really in. The end result will be not much different to them if they get a drive through or time penalty and so if thats seem as too harsh then it proves my point that a time penalty doesnt mean much to the person during a race.  ;)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »
I'd like that. And it seems you can check whether somebody has passed through the pit lane, can't you?

BTW: you are basically making PLP into the answer to everybody's complaints about MP in Assetto Corsa!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
In v8 Supercars they get a 10 second penalty to be taken during a pit stop.  At least that's what happened last year - I don't think it's changed.

The problem is that many race series are racing for 50+ laps, so a drive through penalty can be mitigated against the length of the race.  Seeing as most of our races are around 20 laps, a drive through penalty basically puts you out of contention for the race and you may as well pack up and go home.  You would need to be over a second a lap faster than everyone just to catch the tail of the field at the end of the race.  Turning it into a hot-lapping session would see most people bow out I think.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines as GB. Drive throughs have their place, but probably in longer races that already have pitstops. We can always have drive throughs in different format races in future.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2016, 12:21:12 PM »
The problem is that many race series are racing for 50+ laps, so a drive through penalty can be mitigated against the length of the race.  Seeing as most of our races are around 20 laps, a drive through penalty basically puts you out of contention for the race and you may as well pack up and go home.  You would need to be over a second a lap faster than everyone just to catch the tail of the field at the end of the race.  Turning it into a hot-lapping session would see most people bow out I think.

You normally have a hotlap session at the front of the pack and win by 20 or more seconds anyway in shorter races. If you jumped the start did a drive through you'd probably only just win.  ;D

Be interesting if you could add penalties to a stop, this could also be used as a type of ballast. I know in some gt classes they have a single compulsory stop and time added as ballast for the quicker cars.

So along with the stop they need to be stationary for a certain amount of time. The GT open series used this method to have multiple gt classes run in the same field with a 1 hr race. Gt3 cars had shorter stop time then gt2 gte class cars and that would be another possible way of spicing up some races.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:44:51 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
I'm sure that could be worked into the PitConfig app somehow.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »
Wally, can I suggest having a toggle switch in the on-screen app that activates or deactivates the starting lights?  This way you can easily turn it on/off if you are in a public server or other race which won't use PLP's start.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
Wally, can I suggest having a toggle switch in the on-screen app that activates or deactivates the starting lights?  This way you can easily turn it on/off if you are in a public server or other race which won't use PLP's start.

This would be great, as is I think I would need to disable the app outside of league runs to avoid spamming chat in pub servers for jump starts.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
Regarding the drive through I just did a test at Donnington and the drive through there is only worth just over 7 seconds vs the penalty of 20 seconds. From memory at most tracks we ran the total pit stop time was mostly around 24 to 30 seconds and this included changing tyres or tyres and fuel which is about 10 seconds.

So going by that a drive through at many tracks would be a net loss of less then the 20 seconds time added. Here is my test run at Donnington with the track grip level my average lap pace was a high 1:24

http://52.62.71.102:50041/sessiondetails?playerInSessionId=7631#

I stopped at the end of lap 3 so lap 2 and 5 were clear race pace laps and the average of laps 3 and 4 would be the net time lost for the drive through.

L1 1:38.310
L2 1:24.933
L3 1:25.936
L4 1:31.328
L5 1:24.728

Add together lap 3 and 4 gives 177.264 seconds
Add together laps 2 and 5 is 169.661 seconds
so a net loss here is only 7.6 seconds with a drive through where a time penalty would be 20 seconds.

I did test the start procedure and it seems simple enough, I cant imagine too many people jump starting anyway so not likely to be much different as gaining .1 -.3 off the line is not worth risking 20 seconds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal