Xtreme Gaming Network

Are ISPs using "Throttle Gate" to limit download speeds?

Author Topic: Are ISPs using "Throttle Gate" to limit download speeds?  (Read 6446 times)

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Are ISPs using "Throttle Gate" to limit download speeds?
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
I have a FTTP connection and paying for a Iinet/TPG 50/20 speed. Whenever I do a speed test the result is always close to the 50/20 I am paying for.
However any download I undertake the MAXIMUM speed I can ever achieve is 5.7 Mbs, from Steam with no download speed limit set, from Rockstar Games Red Dead 2 ( took a day to download ::) ::) ::)).
Is it possible for an ISP to be using some form of software to Throttle downloads speeds for any download other than a Speed test?
Does anyone else have the same problem? It is really starting to shit me >:(. Am I being ripped off.

Test you speed downloading one of these files

https://www.internode.on.net/support/tools/speed_test/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:15:59 AM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Re: Are ISPs using "Throttle Gate" to limit download speeds?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
5.7MB is 45.6mb. You didn't make that mistake in your post, but I mention it just incase.
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
5.7MB is 45.6mb. You didn't make that mistake in your post, but I mention it just incase.
As usual you are right Seanus ::) I have mixed up Bits and Bytes :-[ :-[ :-[.

Why do I think 5.7MB is slow, I am sure ADSL2+ download speeds were faster, or is that just wishful thinking.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »

Why do I think 5.7MB is slow, I am sure ADSL2+ download speeds were faster, or is that just wishful thinking.

Heavily wishful.  No adsl2 was able to do 40+mbps (megabits per second).  But software is getting bigger, that may give the impression that things are slower.  Red Dead 2 is enormous, so...

But since you've fttp/ftth, you could get 100 or even 150 or 250 downstream connections (admittedly, the over-100 connections are rare)

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »

Heavily wishful.  No adsl2 was able to do 40+mbps (megabits per second).  But software is getting bigger, that may give the impression that things are slower.  Red Dead 2 is enormous, so...

But since you've fttp/ftth, you could get 100 or even 150 or 250 downstream connections (admittedly, the over-100 connections are rare)
I was also thinking the same Bird , software has really bloated, tracks for AC are now often well over 100Mbytes.
I think I have become confused with the downloads speeds I was getting when I first connected to the NBN four and a half years ago, I think initially I was getting up to 30+ Mbytes/sec downloads, even though my connection was only 50/20, and over time the network has become congested and DLs are now throttled.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
Even on a 100/50 you'll only get 10-12MB/s  (megaBytes) at best.
I can achive that with multi-threaded downloads eg via Steam or torrents.  Only if the server on the other end does not throttle connections, and if the server isn't overseas.

30MB/s ~ 240mbps, at that speed you'd start noticing other hardware limits on your local network / hard drive, etc, even windows drivers can eff up (been there). 
It's really proper fast.

ADSL2 was ~24mbps tops (but that was on a line no more than a few meters long) so most would only be able to achieve half of that at best on average.

Maybe you recall ~3MB/s (ADSL, if you were extremely close to the exchange).
Or possibly it was on your NBN in the early days, but it wasn't multi-threaded download so it did not use the full bandwidth.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:28:09 PM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal