Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Imola Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Imola Race Chat  (Read 71668 times)

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
Re: Round 2: Imola Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
shouldn't the travel range fix this bottoming out? isn't that what it is there for? I haven't had time to play with the heights yet...
I mean you can set any car low, but if the shock bump travel is next to nothing then it cannot get an lower, so say your car is 20mm off the ground, if you set it to have only 10mm of travel then even with soft springs and dampers it can't bottom out.. (car to ground contact, not the struts bottoming out)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
Then you lose the reason for the suspension and are basically running a kart (to an extent).
Ideally you want to run on the bump stops up the straights (for a stable platform) but not hit them in corners, or your suspension becomes super-stiff.
To see what this is like, go full stiff springs. ;)

The best way is to tune the dampers in combo with the springs, enough freedom for the wheel to move without loading the chassis but tight enough not to smack into the bump stop too hard.
A difficult task (with only susp. travel logged in AIM :().

And that's just for curbs, braking and acceleration heave control wants the opposite! ::)

2+2=√16

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
You kinda missed what I meant. I mean that you're better off hitting bump stops than the underbody as that gets a lot messier. If you love your setup but it's hitting the ground then reduce the travel so that you hit the bump stops just before the car hits the ground. Downforce excluded I can't see anyway you could tune a car t run on the bump stops during straights then magically raise before a corner? Up the spring rate if you want it as hard as bump stops.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
Ah, I see what you mean.
The difficult part is still keeping it off the stops during cornering, as in Aqua Minerali you don't want to be on them through the following right hander (like a kart).
Though if you can do it, that's a good solution. ;)

And yes, I'm talking downforce (even V8Supercars lower and full tilt). 8)

2+2=√16

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »
I'm having a play now with the travel and height. Looks like travel range is a guess as to how far.

Many modern cars are actually made to corner on bump stops. They're just big and squishy like secondary springs.

This car doesn't seen to have adjustable bump stops anyway so it'll bang :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »
Yes, but usually only in heavier cars, ie. tin tops.
In winged formula cars, the stop are more or less solid to give the kart effect (and maximize aero).

And I agree with travel range, more specificity in game would be nice. ???

2+2=√16

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
yeah I'll try and have a solid go at a setup for this race, hopefully build something that helps me ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »
Here's a race setup.
I've been using AIM's suspension travel telemetry to try and control the wheels over the curbs, this is the best I can get it for now.
(wish it had more channels, like ride height, damper speeds and corner loads :()
I've done a 1m46s with 40litres and softs, which are good through half distance, I haven't tested the drop off after that.
Comments appreciated. 8)

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]

2+2=√16

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
Here's a race setup.
I've been using AIM's suspension travel telemetry to try and control the wheels over the curbs, this is the best I can get it for now.
(wish it had more channels, like ride height, damper speeds and corner loads :()
I've done a 1m46s with 40litres and softs, which are good through half distance, I haven't tested the drop off after that.
Comments appreciated. 8)

Cool, thanks will give it a run tonight.

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

Here's a race setup.
Comments appreciated. 8)
Cheers I'll try it as well. I wanted to not use others' setups as a way to force me to learn. I understand it, just haven't played with extensively in game. But just to see how it goes ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »
A good way to learn is to see other's solutions. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »

Here's a race setup.
Comments appreciated. 8)
Thanks. Feels really stable especially over the curbs. Good for low 1m47s for me with quite a few mistakes. How do you get through that damn chicane :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »

Here's a race setup.
(wish it had more channels, like ride height, damper speeds and corner loads :( )
Comments appreciated. 8)
I think you can take a bit of curb on entry to straight line it a bit, but avoid it on exit - it unsettles the car too much.
Thanks. Feels really stable especially over the curbs. Good for low 1m47s for me with quite a few mistakes. How do you get through that damn chicane :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Round 2: Imola Race Chat
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »
Good one - that's why I'm struggling to get the power down coming out of the chicane!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
Yeah, more curb on the first part, less on the second.
I enter in 3rd and leave in 2nd as well. ;)

Wally, what file does AIM use?
The .bak or the .drk (it seems to creat both). ???

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal