Xtreme Gaming Network

Got a spare android phone or tablet?

Author Topic: Got a spare android phone or tablet?  (Read 30702 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Got a spare android phone or tablet?
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
If you've got a spare old android phone or tablet this works well. A lot of customisation by adding as much info and icons as you can fit on the screen. can be a bit fiddly to set up the way you like, but easy to connect to pc.
http://stryder-it.de/simdashboard/
pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/wm1BgLqyuj93dgEq1 my photos don't really do it justice, but I like the way the green lcd section flashes red when its time to change gear.
the app is free but very limited, full version is around $16 and unlocks everything and just about every racing sim on pc, or a couple of bucks to unlock it for just one sim/game. Probably other ways you can do this but I purchased it a long time ago and just recently remember I had it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:58:09 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Got a spare android phone or tablet?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
Thanks Bueller. I think a few of us use tablets like that.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
I do have an old tablet that I could use but since moving to VR, most of this stuff is pointless as I can't see it.

I still use an app on my tablet for iracing though, I set it up pre race and all it does it automatically calculates how much fuel to put in during a pitstop. So I don't need to look at that one, just have faith in that it's not going to get it wrong.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
Ive used dashmeterpro in the past which is similar and slimax have a good one that can also be a virtual button box.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:33:36 AM »
I do have an old tablet that I could use but since moving to VR, most of this stuff is pointless as I can't see it.

I still use an app on my tablet for iracing though, I set it up pre race and all it does it automatically calculates how much fuel to put in during a pitstop. So I don't need to look at that one, just have faith in that it's not going to get it wrong.
Would like to try vr, looked at the cheaper pimax 4k, I just don't think my eye sight is adequate for the task
Ive used dashmeterpro in the past which is similar and slimax have a good one that can also be a virtual button box.
I'll have a look at those, I was considering building a button box

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
I grabbed this Simdashboard last night ($16us), setup a custom dashboard with everything I want (and there is a lot to pick from)
Enables me to remove the clutter off the screens and i find the info in the new dashboard easier to read . . . impressed!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:59:13 AM by Freezer »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:02:43 PM »
I was considering building a button box

Hmmm now you've got me looking up parts! I'm a noob at that kind of thing but would love to give it a go.

I found this video where the dude makes a smaller one:

His using one of these boards:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-To-PC-Joystick-2Pin-Buttons-Wires-For-MAME-/182449380732?hash=item2a7ad49d7c:g:RJgAAOSw~HZZzgu7

Looking a lot more simple as I'd have to watch the other one quite a few more times to understand that wiring!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
I grabbed this Simdashboard last night ($16us), setup a custom dashboard with everything I want (and there is a lot to pick from)
Enables me to remove the clutter off the screens and i find the info in the new dashboard easier to read . . . impressed!
It is pretty good, especially if you don't have anything already set up

I was considering building a button box

Hmmm now you've got me looking up parts! I'm a noob at that kind of thing but would love to give it a go.

I found this video where the dude makes a smaller one:

His using one of these boards:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-To-PC-Joystick-2Pin-Buttons-Wires-For-MAME-/182449380732?hash=item2a7ad49d7c:g:RJgAAOSw~HZZzgu7

Looking a lot more simple as I'd have to watch the other one quite a few more times to understand that wiring!
Had a quick look at the local jaycar store and looks like everything you need is there, just not the cheapest way to do it. That mini box looks good
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:50:32 AM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Had a quick look at the local jaycar store and looks like everything you need is there, just not the cheapest way to do it. That mini box looks good

I had been looking on the jaycar website too as have one just up the road. What USB board did they have in there? Couldn't find any on the website but their search isn't great.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
Couldn't see any online, but they had what looked like the pro micro arduino behind the counter

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
I priced up the larger button box. Using parts from Australia it would be $70+ but going on ebay, sorting by cheapest and getting the parts from China it could be done for $30. With the smaller 12 button ones I could make two for $40 as some of the parts can be shared across the two so thinking I may do that and have one either side on the steering wheel. Just going to design what I want in Photoshop  8)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
I priced up the larger button box. Using parts from Australia it would be $70+ but going on ebay, sorting by cheapest and getting the parts from China it could be done for $30. With the smaller 12 button ones I could make two for $40 as some of the parts can be shared across the two so thinking I may do that and have one either side on the steering wheel. Just going to design what I want in Photoshop  8)
Cool, I'll start looking around on eBay

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
I bought one of these 3.5" screens from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-3-5-HDMI-LCD-Display-480x320-Screen-Case-HDMI-Pen-Disc-for-Raspberry-Pi3-2B/182712193063?hash=item2a8a7ed027:g:wdkAAOSwkepZjP8K

I was thinking of putting it inside one of the button boxes I plan to make.

It came with a little acrylic case that sits nicely on top of my wheel base though. Think I may mount it there. I need a couple of adapters to tidy up the cables so they aren't coming out the top and side of the box, then I'll probably get some carbon look vinyl wrap to put over the acrylic and will prob look pretty nice!

I just installed Z1 dash and it worked out of the box. You can set up multiple dashboards then have a wheel or button box button go through them.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
Looks sweet, I have Z1 but have not used in a bit, might fire it back up,  I did like the telemetry and Z1 Analyzer
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:43 AM »
Looks like a mighty fine setup Joe.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal