Xtreme Gaming Network

A proposal for discussion - more grip

Author Topic: A proposal for discussion - more grip  (Read 46823 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: A proposal for discussion - more grip
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
It should just be a server setting, your sp setting shouldnt have any effect. But this is AC so who knows, the way to make sure its working is check tyre temps when in pits.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »
Yeah, I just turned my tyre blankets off in single player settings, and on the server my tyres are still 80 degrees straight away.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
Did guys yesterday really feel they were lacking grip? Sure it got a little slippery with the tyre wear but that was only because of the higher wear rate. At no point did I feel that this is way too slippery and I need more grip to give a realistic grip feeling.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
Nope, it was stuck to the tarmac like glued on.  Except when I tried to brake in the usual places at the end of the straights...:D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »
In the half a lap I managed last night it seemed very slippery to me ;)

Marty, seriously, I think Wally just wants to experiment with the change in grip to see how it feels in a race situation. I think the opinions on whether it is better/worse/different will be very subjective.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 07:41:52 PM »
It's not really a question of lacking grip, per se. It's to make it feel more like when you take a car on track in real life. If I hired a P1 and took it onto a track tomorrow afternoon, I wouldn't be "micro-drifting" in every corner, like I feel like I am in AC. That's great if you're simulating being a top-flight racing car driver, but I just want to see what it feels like if we're all out there as if we were having an XGN track day, hiring 12 P1's and 12 LaFerraris (who's paying?)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »
You should try the p1 on the practice server it makes the car quite bad I think, regular grip its a fun car being able to balance the car through little slides around corners and it doesnt bottom out much at all as the suspension can handle the cornering loads much better. Now its got so much grip it is having issues with suspension and ride height where the lafa in comparison is now very basic to drive there. I think quite a few guys will have more issues driving the p1 with higher grip levels then they would have on regular grip, the lafa ends up feeling like a soft open wheeler with the amount of grip it has and easily rides the bumps and kerbs where the p1 ride height and stiffer suspension causes pretty big handling issues with the raised grip levels.

But I think still if you want to simulate driving slowly then its best to just drive slower  ;) It doesnt change much with the higher grip it just makes the cars snappier on the limit as if they are now on soft slicks compare to a hard cut slick that they are meant to be running. Trying to make a hypercar on semi slicks feel the same as a much slower and heavier v8 on softer rubber I think is saying that Kunos dont know what they are doing. For me its easily the most natural feeling sim on the limit as is and the extra grip just makes it feel like the cars on a different tyre to what it should be.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
Interesting thoughts.... I didn't get the same feeling. It is only 10% more grip, so I didn't think it was that dramatically different in terms of handling characteristics. We'll see what people think after the Imola race.

As an aside, when I first tried upping the friction, I took the Alfa GTA out with 2x friction just as an experiment. Now that's a strange experience - the car doesn't slide at all, so you basically just tip over if you take a corner too fast.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
So whats the deal for the next race?  Are we going to change the track surface?  Can we leave it the way it is please?...ehhehehehe :-*

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
So whats the deal for the next race?  Are we going to change the track surface?  Can we leave it the way it is please?...ehhehehehe :-*

Check out the Imola thread. There's a new 110% grip track to download it. We will try it for one round and see what people think.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2015, 12:03:25 PM »
Bloody hell!   SURE ::)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »

No harm in trying things! You don't know until you try.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »

No harm in trying things! You don't know until you try.
That's what I always say to jumpers on bridges...

:D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
You know what else would fix this issue of not enough grip?
Change the graphics to show sprinkles of water on the 'screen. ;)
8)

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
You know what else would fix this issue of not enough grip?
Change the graphics to show sprinkles of water on the 'screen. ;)
8)
nah, just play under the shower... :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal