Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun run Dec 29 - KS DTM @ Nurburgring

Author Topic: Fun run Dec 29 - KS DTM @ Nurburgring  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Fun run Dec 29 - KS DTM @ Nurburgring
« on: December 23, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »
Let's try the 3 KS 90's DTM cars at Nurburgring - Alfa Romeo 155 TI V6, Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II and BMW M3 E30 Gr.A 92.
I have BOP'd them with Alfa - 25% restrictor, Merc - 10% restrictor.

If you get a checksum error with the Merc, see this post.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:42:10 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Fun run Dec 29 - KS DTM @ Nurburgring
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
In order of easiness to drive, in my opinion, the cars go Alfa, Merc, BMW. I don't mind if the BMW ends up being a bit quicker than the other two cars, to compensate for it being more difficult. I wouldn't want the Alfa to be too much quicker than the Merc. We'll see how the practice times pan out.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 11:38:07 AM »
I'm getting a checksum fail with the Merc ???

2+2=√16

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »
I'm getting a checksum fail with the Merc ???
Same here. I think it maybe Seanus's mod of the same car . Maybe if you delete the mod and then do steam check of AC local files.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »
I had some trouble with the Merc too. I think the Seanus mod replaced the data.acd. This is the KS one - unzip it into\assettocorsa\content\cars\ks_mercedes_190_evo2.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
I had some trouble with the Merc too. I think the Seanus mod replaced the data.acd. This is the KS one - unzip it into\assettocorsa\content\cars\ks_mercedes_190_evo2.
Thanks Wally, fixed.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 02:44:41 PM »
Was fun racing last night. Quite a bit went wrong starting with a really average start and then this little nudge Mael received from me...sorry. Err...actually, I think it was entirely his fault braking a bit earlier than me  ;)
Not much happened to me, but he spun and it took some time to get back going again. I waited for him and then started the chase.
R2 was a complete mess. I think everything was ok when I first joined in the Alfa. However, not seeing any lap times in qualy I thought, get out and re-join and see what happens. There was hardly any time left and it takes some time to adjust to the Alfa anyway, so qualy was messed up.
I was looking forward chasing Bueller then and see how these two cars compare, but got suddenly thrown out...weird thing...never happened to me before.
Was late for the 2nd start and learned then that I didn't have enough fuel. Well, I was 1.5min behind the field anyway so I fixed this by going out again and re-joined making sure fuel is ok this time.
Dunno, guess I was maybe 3 or 4 laps behind and ended up right behind Bueller when getting out of the pits...was good having a bit of a race with him.
My best time is in the BMW, but that's the car I've done by far the most laps in, so it's not a fair comparison.
I think the restrictors level the performance of the cars when it comes to lap times quite well. It's tricky...qualifying first in the BMW or the Merc is hardly worth anything if you got an Alfa near you, as they get off the line so much better. Keeping up with an Alfa in a Merc or BMW is then probably ok...hmm, but overtaking to get your qualy position back is maybe pretty hard.
Can't really judge the Merc, but for me the BMW and the Alfa are on par re lap times...with a clear advantage for the Alfa at the starts...enjoy driving the BMW more...difficult decision  :)
2 or 3 restrictor percentage points more on the Alfa would make the decision even harder  ;)
Increasing the restrictor on the Alfa a tiny bit is what I would probably do if it was my decision. However, that's based on my driving style and just on this track...well, or possibly taking the Alfa out entirely, which would be a pity somehow. And these differences in the performance characteristics can produce close racing as well of course...and that's what we want I guess...many different ways to look at this.
However, should be a fun season...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:58:27 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »
Looking at the lap times from Nurburgring, the cars are all pretty mixed up, which is what I'm looking for. There's no bunch of Alfas near the front, for example. So by the time you throw in different drivers and different tracks, I think the cars are balanced enough.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »
Looking at the lap times from Nurburgring, the cars are all pretty mixed up, which is what I'm looking for. There's no bunch of Alfas near the front, for example. So by the time you throw in different drivers and different tracks, I think the cars are balanced enough.
I was bored (split up with my missus recently) and thought, why not write a novel here on this thread  ;)
Seriously, I'm with you and believe the cars are close in performance. What I'm saying is, no one can judge my times without additional, detailed information about what I've done. You just don't know how much practice I've done offline in each car and only I know how clean my fastest lap was. So I thought I provide some info how these guys work with me driving them. Someone else with a different driving style may see this differently...I don't claim I'm right or what I'm saying is representative.
I've done only a few laps in the Merc. It's very stable over kerbs compared to the BMW...generally a bit easier to drive...maybe BMW's will be more often involved in incidents because of that...wouldn't surprise me anyway. However, I couldn't get close enough to the time I was aiming for and decided I'll go either for the BMW or the Alfa. It's fun sorting these things out.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 11:55:07 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but... more sim racing, right?It's always hard to balance the cars. There's so many variables. All you can really avoid is any one car being clearly way faster than the others. On balance, the Beemer was a tad too fast, but now I was able to set quite close lap times at RBR in each car.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but... more sim racing, right?It's always hard to balance the cars. There's so many variables. All you can really avoid is any one car being clearly way faster than the others. On balance, the Beemer was a tad too fast, but now I was able to set quite close lap times at RBR in each car.
Thanks. Yeah, more sim racing...that's the logical consequence  :)
I believe I can do the time I've done in the BMW in the Alfa as well...that's on the old restrictor settings.

Here a possible scenario:
Qualy result (P1-P4): BMW, Alfa, Alfa, Alfa (of course there can be a Merc in there somewhere or you can replace BMW with Merc...just simplifying in order to make a certain point)
Ranking at turn 1: Alfa, Alfa, Alfa, BMW
It will be a challenge gaining your positions back during the race in a car which is the trickiest to drive anyway and not significantly faster.

Just throwing my opinion in there...I'm fine with whatever restrictor settings we're doing. We can pick our car...so, no probs  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:27:35 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
The BMW has several different gear sets, with a shorter 1st gear, so there might be setups which get off the line better than the default.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 11:21:55 PM »
Qualy result (P1-P4): BMW, Alfa, Alfa, Alfa (of course there can be a Merc in there somewhere or you can replace BMW with Merc...just simplifying in order to make a certain point)
It will be a challenge gaining your positions back during the race in a car which is the trickiest to drive anyway and not significantly faster.

Alfa chews its tyres, it is going to be  challenge staying in front without the BMW bumping it off  :P

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 12:50:43 PM »

Alfa chews its tyres, it is going to be  challenge staying in front without the BMW bumping it off  :P
You picked the Alfa...will you be on mediums then? ;)
Done some laps at Hockenheim. Yes, the tyres are suffering big time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal