Xtreme Gaming Network

F1 proposes new qualifying format

Author Topic: F1 proposes new qualifying format  (Read 11629 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
F1 proposes new qualifying format
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/24/formula-one-rules-shake-up-qualifying-fia

The new qualifying format, set to be introduced at the season opener in Australia on 20 March, will see the slowest drivers eliminated every 90 seconds after a timed period – rather than at the end of the three sessions – in hope of providing greater unpredictability.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: F1 proposes new qualifying format
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »
This comment on the article stood out:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/24/formula-one-rules-shake-up-qualifying-fia#comment-69313331

”So stuff qualifying. Line them up in reverse championship order. The fastest have to come through the field.”

Now that sounds like an idea we could try.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »
yeah I dont know why stupid Bernie wont leave stuff alone.  stupid old fool, I tweeted to his moaning about lack of tv viewers suggesting that not everyone has the money to pay for pay tv to watch it,  he responded by saying F1 is obviously not for you , find another sport, if you are not buying ferrari i dont care what you think
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
Sounds like he's got his head so far up his own arse he can't see the real world anymore.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
It may or may not be a good idea,one thing is sure,this guy(Bernie) is becoming more and more and more of a noxious man,at 85,,,,,,,,just fuck off mate,honestly.

Here the qual format explained     http://en.f1i.com/news/43073-fia-outlines-new-f1-qualifying-format-for-2016.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:46:29 PM by Simone »

Rolz

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »
obnoxious, arrogant, rich dude... Because he can and there is SFA anyone can do about it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
Guys, I hate to burst your bubble but Bernie doesn't make the rules, the FIA do - although Bernie has some sway (which hasn't had any effect lately) .  Trust me, the person you want to be hating on is Jean Todt - he is responsible for the current mess F1 finds itself in.   Bernie has been a strong advocate for what the fans want (because that's where the company he works for makes its money), instead of the one sided, unexciting lawn mower races that F1 is atm.

I actually think qual is good as it is, but whatever.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Yeah, but we still hate Bernie.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 10:27:57 PM »
He's really only interested in ad and TV revenues hence the Ferrari comment. Look at the brands that advertise in f1. All luxury brands.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:37:02 PM »
 Bernie and I have some great little chats, I see it as my job to annoy him,  like when I tell him to retire I wouldn't trust my grandfather with that sort of responsibility or money and he is a stupid old fool, he just tells me at least i am a rich fool, or the time I said happy birthday and he said nothing happy about it, just another year closer to death.

I have more lol,  I just hope when I get to Melbourne this year lord Bernie has not had me barred from the track.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 10:40:57 PM »
I liked these rules fore Qualifying
each driver was limited to twelve laps with the inclusion of a 107% rule to exclude drivers with slow lap times. This was calculated by using the time of the driver on pole position and adding on 7% to create a cut-off time. This format remained until the conclusion of the 2002 season.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
Qualifying sessions

Traditionally before 1996, qualifying was split into two one-hour sessions; the first was held on Friday (Thursday at Monaco) afternoon from 13:00 to 14:00 local time, with the second held on Saturday afternoon at the same time. The fastest time set by each driver from either session counted towards his final grid position. Each driver was limited to twelve laps per qualifying session.[2]

In 1996, qualifying was amended with the Friday qualifying session abolished in a favour for a single qualifying session held on Saturday afternoon. As previously, each driver was limited to twelve laps with the inclusion of a 107% rule to exclude drivers with slow lap times. This was calculated by using the time of the driver on pole position and adding on 7% to create a cut-off time.[3] This format remained until the conclusion of the 2002 season.

Between 2003 and 2005, the qualifying session was run as a one-lap session and took place on Friday and Saturday afternoon with the cars running one at a time.

In 2003, the Friday running order was determined with the leader of the Drivers' Championship heading out first. The Saturday running order was determined by times set in Friday afternoon qualifying with the fastest heading out last and the slowest running first. No refuelling was allowed between the start of Saturday qualifying and the start of the race, so drivers qualified on race fuel. The lap times from the Friday afternoon session did not determine the grid order.[4]

In 2004 the Friday session was moved to Saturday[5] The running order for the first session was now based on the result of the previous race. At first both sessions were held back-to-back, but the first session was later moved earlier in the day.

At the start of 2005, the sessions were held on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Lap times from both sessions were counted to give the overall aggregate position.[6] From the 2005 European Grand Prix onwards, the Sunday morning session was dropped for a single run on Saturday afternoon having proved unpopular with drivers, teams and broadcasters. The running order was the reverse of the previous race result.[7][8]

Since 2006, qualifying takes place on Saturday afternoon in a three-stage "knockout" system. One hour is dedicated to determining the grid order, divided into three periods with short intermissions between them.[9]

Currently, the first qualifying period is eighteen minutes long, with all twenty cars on the circuit. The five slowest drivers are eliminated, and they fill positions sixteen to twenty on the grid. Any driver attempting to set a qualifying time when the period ends is permitted to finish his lap, though no new laps may be started once the chequered flag is shown. After a short break, the second period begins, with fifteen cars on the circuit. At the end of the fifteen-minute period, the five slowest drivers are once again eliminated, filling grid positions eleven to fifteen. Finally, the third qualifying period features the ten fastest drivers from the second period. The drivers have twelve minutes to set a qualifying time, which will determine the top ten positions on the grid. The driver who sets the fastest qualifying time is said to be on pole position, the grid position that offers the best physical position to start the race from.[9]

Drivers may complete as many laps as they choose. However, the top ten drivers must start the race on the set of tyres they used during their fastest lap time in the second qualifying period. These may only be changed if qualifying and the race are held under different weather conditions, or if a tyre is damaged as a result of an accident. The remaining ten drivers are free to start the race with any tyres they choose.

Generally, a driver will leave the pits and drive around the track in order to get to the start/finish line (the out-lap). Having crossed the line, they will attempt to achieve the quickest time around the circuit that they can in one or more laps (the flying lap or hot lap). This is the lap time which is used in calculating grid position. Finally, the driver will continue back around the track and re-enter the pit-lane (the in-lap). However, this is merely strategy, and no teams are obliged by the rules to follow this formula.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
Guys, I hate to burst your bubble but Bernie doesn't make the rules, the FIA do - although Bernie has some sway (which hasn't had any effect lately) .  Trust me, the person you want to be hating on is Jean Todt - he is responsible for the current mess F1 finds itself in.   Bernie has been a strong advocate for what the fans want (because that's where the company he works for makes its money), instead of the one sided, unexciting lawn mower races that F1 is atm.

I actually think qual is good as it is, but whatever.

BULL!!  you burst my bubble!!   

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »
Yeah, but we still hate Bernie.

ok,,,i feel better and my bubble is intact 8) 8)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 02:20:42 AM »
He's really only interested in ad and TV revenues hence the Ferrari comment. Look at the brands that advertise in f1. All luxury brands.

Welcome to capitalism, and the Western world ;)

I think v8 supercars have the best qualifying format with the knock out session to determine top ten shoot out order and then the shoot out itself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal