Xtreme Gaming Network

S17 - throwing out some ideas

Author Topic: S17 - throwing out some ideas  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S17 - throwing out some ideas
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
I'd like to start getting some opinions about the next season. The two things I'm keen to do is:
  • An open wheeler season (5 weeks) - perhaps choose one of the Lotuses for a single-make season: 25, 49, 72 or 98. I know there are a few mod cars around, but I'd rather stick with "genuine" AC physics, consistent tyre models etc. Single make also reduces the need to balance cars etc.
  • A mixed class season (8 weeks, with a mandatory class swap after 4 weeks). Modern (Porsch 919 vs GT3s) or historic (Porsche 962/Mecr C9/Porsche 911 GT1) vs DTM cars (Merc 190/BMW M3 - Alfa is too fast) or maybe a bit slower (Ford GT40/Porsche 908).
    With mixed classes, I'd want to enforce relatively even numbers in classes, so we don't have 3 919's racing against 20 GT3s for example. The class swap will help with that - everyone gets a go at both classes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Slow_As

• View Profile
Re: S17 - throwing out some ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Open wheel - sounds good to me

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »
Is the lotus Evora GTE or GC comparable to say the porsche cayman gt4?  id like to see a season of something like this but because they're not ultra ultra fast.. longer races by 5-10 laps or more.

a 919 2017 / GT3 / GT2 mixed season would be good.. but not with short sprint races.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »
Open wheel - sounds good to me

Please
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
Is the lotus Evora GTE or GC comparable to say the porsche cayman gt4?  id like to see a season of something like this but because they're not ultra ultra fast.. longer races by 5-10 laps or more.

a 919 2017 / GT3 / GT2 mixed season would be good.. but not with short sprint races.
Mixed class racing would definitely be long ~ 1 hr races, so there's more opportunities for the faster class to lap the slower cars.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »
Although I am really enjoying the single-make gt races (Maserati and Porsche), I agree with Phil that it's time to go back to single seaters for 1 season. I will be away from mid-July to end of September, though, so I guess my preferences should not count too much.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:41 PM »
I have my preferences but I will race in whatever is thrown up.  However, what I would like to see is new tracks.
I know some will say mod tracks aren't as good etc etc but in pre AC days we always ran mod tracks of all types and they did the job.
Tracks like Sebring, Le Mans, Road America etc etc would be great to see again if suitable versions can be found!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »
I have my preferences but I will race in whatever is thrown up.  However, what I would like to see is new tracks.
I know some will say mod tracks aren't as good etc etc but in pre AC days we always ran mod tracks of all types and they did the job.
Tracks like Sebring, Le Mans, Road America etc etc would be great to see again if suitable versions can be found!
All good input guys. Yes Freezer, the list of Tuesday night mod tracks is growing, and we can certainly race more of them. Scratch built tracks are best, rather than rough conversions from ancient games.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile

2+2=√16

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
49 or the 72D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
Open wheel preferably, we have already ran the 72D it was the last OW season we did so anything else for me preferably.

Mixed class would be good the season after, there could be a qualifying race and then split the season up into LMP1 and GT based on top and bottom half of the field. That way it would make it more of a battle in both classes having more evenly matched drivers in both classes.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
Lotus 25 and a Maserati or 2
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 10:34:19 PM »

I vote for the 98T.
As I have "skinned" this car with two entirely different cars.
I've taken the ASR Ferrari 643 and the VRC McLaren mp4\4 as donor cars, both of which I'm assuming are up to AC visual and audio standard, and equipped them with all the physics of the 98T. So essentially a one make series but with out the need to all drive the 'same' car.
Each car will have a very subtle difference as the only thing I change is the wheelbase/track and tyre diameters.
So choose a car whose looks or sound you prefer but still be on equal footing with the entire field. (on a side note with 'Content Manager' you can change sounds yourself, mismatch free, which for immersion can really help as I found many cars either to whiny or muffled to turn me on.)

I don't see the point of running mods, banged together with physics from an official car. Maybe that's the Gran Tourismo or Forza way but the main point of running different cars that are competitive is that they do things differently. Not just to have a different looking model or skin you may as well just run the 98T in that case and throw on a skin pack and not waste time using models that may have other issues with them. If there is a proper solid quality mod worth running then I would be up for it but I cant say I know of too many atm nearly all either have horrible physics, issues with models like no LOD's, sound issues or simply ripped physics from another car.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
Immersion.
Each car looks and sounds different, it really is like driving a different car.

What is this 'Gran Tourismo' or 'Forza' that you mention?

Thats the exact same method they use to add cars to their games so surely your familiar with it.  ;D

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
Had a couple of fun races on a public sever with the Tatuus. it or one of the modern lotus open wheelers may be fun  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal