Xtreme Gaming Network

Coming weeks - throw in some ideas!

Author Topic: Coming weeks - throw in some ideas!  (Read 13523 times)

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Coming weeks - throw in some ideas!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:52 PM »
Sorry that I’ve not raced many of these as I’ve had a bit going on with work. My 2cents is that I like the concept but I think there needs to be some reward for showing up and finishing races. As to th sort of car, my preference is for something with big horsepower and bigger all grip compared to high grip, low power cars

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
Why don't you have everyone start in the Reliant Robin and then allow people to use their $$$ to repaint the car?
My Little Pony paintjob coming right up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
It's sorely missing from all race sim's but, a high fidelity AI driver would serves us well as we could get representative times for each level of BOP or between cars.
But having just said that, if it is only one car with different amounts of ballast then AC's current AI should be able to measure the differences.
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »
It's a tricky concept...not an easy task getting it right. Differences in the performance of the cars can be very big...and that means close battles for position are reduced. How can I race a driver in a Carrera R driving a Carrera S myself? It doesn't work. It will level the overall standings, but you need a large field so everyone has someone to race with.
Guess nothing gets more close racing than a one make with ballast/restrictor for the guys in the lead or winning races.
However, keep in mind I haven't done this for long so I'm content with doing just this normal racing. I can understand that if you've done this for a long time something like the car dealer is more interesting.
I'll go along with what you're coming up with. Don't really have an opinion on race cars vs road cars.
As I don't always have enough time to prepare, it's handy for me to race just one car for a while where you can use a setup and maybe just tweak it slightly.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
It's sorely missing from all race sim's but, a high fidelity AI driver would serves us well as we could get representative times for each level of BOP or between cars.
But having just said that, if it is only one car with different amounts of ballast then AC's current AI should be able to measure the differences.
I've already been using the AI to see the effect of ballast and restrictor on any particular make of car, since the AI use the same physics. The AI gives a pretty good, consistent indication of the slow down. Human lap times are too inconsistent.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
It's a tricky concept...not an easy task getting it right. Differences in the performance of the cars can be very big...and that means close battles for position are reduced. How can I race a driver in a Carrera R driving a Carrera S myself? It doesn't work. It will level the overall standings, but you need a large field so everyone has someone to race with.
Guess nothing gets more close racing than a one make with ballast/restrictor for the guys in the lead or winning races.
However, keep in mind I haven't done this for long so I'm content with doing just this normal racing. I can understand that if you've done this for a long time something like the car dealer is more interesting.
I'll go along with what you're coming up with. Don't really have an opinion on race cars vs road cars.
As I don't always have enough time to prepare, it's handy for me to race just one car for a while where you can use a setup and maybe just tweak it slightly.
Fair points. Yes, it's really just to try something new and mix it up a bit. We used to use a car dealer many years ago, and it's good to try it again, but we certainly won't be using it all the time. The closest racing is when you apply a performance based handicap with restrictor or ballast, which we also sometimes do.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »
The car dealer is partially about the close racing, partially about giving everyone a chance to lead here and there.  To "mix it up".   To be consistently at the back is very tyring, and there's usually quite a few people around who cannot put many hours into practice each week.   

The car dealer can give them a boost of fun.  ;)

Btw; talking about close racing; I don't think you can achieve that for everyone in any way in a small field (not with the same car that's for sure).  The difference in skill means there'll be groups.   
The car dealer mixes the field up.
Now, of course each track is different, one car maybe more advantageous at one track compared to the other.

But the cars need to be fairly close in performance; eg if you have an alien, who can lap 2-3s faster, they need a 2-3s/lap slower car to even it out.   So as you can see, the selection of cars would have to be dependent on the field of participants as well, to some extent.    (although if you have to buy the cars weekly, and not keep it, I think it balances things out pretty darn quickly, and to a good extent)

But it can work.     It has worked in GTL and we only had a handful of cars to play with  8)

I think the one thing to aim for is that the biggest difference in car performance should be just over the greatest laptime difference between Alien Joe and Turtle Harry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:45:16 AM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal