Xtreme Gaming Network

How I broke my wrist - for Phil :)

Author Topic: How I broke my wrist - for Phil :)  (Read 8408 times)

Offline doobs

• View Profile
How I broke my wrist - for Phil :)
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Hi Wally,

I'm out of this season. I broke my wrist today, I broke it good so I wont be driving for a while.

regards
Darren

Hope it heals well,  May I ask how it happened ?

Funny story Phil - Greek tragedy perhaps. I replaced my old (15yr) CBR600F4i with a new CBR600rr and was lucky enough to be picking it up on my birthday Thursday. I wasn't used to the clutch, engine note etc and was paranoid about new tyre grip (because I've high-sided from a standing start before on new tyres), under revved it and stalled with a little lurch, lost my balance, and refused to drop the bike hard. I was still fighting gravity trying to drop it gently, and when my elbow hit the ground about 100 kgs went through my wrist and it snapped.  Best, and worst Birthday ever. So now I'm paying for 8 to 10 weeks of rego, and insurance on a new bike I can't ride. The Ambulance and hospital hospital staff were great, and Pro Honda Moorooka, bless their cotton socks, are replacing the piece of fairing I did still scratch for nothing, as a birthday present.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: How I broke my wrist - for Phil :)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
wow, bet that hurt :(  Nice bike :) got to sit on my mates Yamaha YZF-R1 last week,  didn't ride it, too scared :)    Happy Birthday
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
wow, bet that hurt :(  Nice bike :) got to sit on my mates Yamaha YZF-R1 last week,  didn't ride it, too scared :)    Happy Birthday
Cheers Phil,
Yeah, the RR is a really nice bike if you like super sports, racing style. If you're a cruiser man, they're the ugliest things on the road. I'm not a cruiser man. :)

It didn't really hurt when I did it because of the adrenaline rush from the fear and embarrassment of dropping the bike, but it was a bit worse later.
I felt it snap, rather than feeling pain from it. I knew it wasn't good as soon as it happened though.
The biggest problem I have now is transport. I use my bike for everything and now I can't ride for a couple of months.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »
We all know how you really broke your wrist  :o

Am I late to the party with these jokes?  Surely...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:49:30 PM »
lol :)

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

They don't work because I broke the left and I'm ri.....  ummm, whatever.

:)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »

Well if it makes you feel any better Doobs, I arrived at work once in the carpark on my vrf800, thought I put the stand down properly and commenced leaning it over . . . and it kept going . . . with me on it!
Anyhow broke a bone in my foot.  I also more recently pulled my r1200GS over whilst parking, but this time jumped out of the way and only a few minor scratches.
Never had an accident riding . . . only parking!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »
Well, happy birthday.   These modern bikes are scary for me, too.   I did not dare trying my friend's 1100cc beast either, it's been a long time and I've only been on low-powered 250cc bikes.  I'm too old for these things, but too young to die :)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »
Well, happy birthday.   These modern bikes are scary for me, too.   I did not dare trying my friend's 1100cc beast either, it's been a long time and I've only been on low-powered 250cc bikes.  I'm too old for these things, but too young to die :)

+1

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
+2   ::)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

Well if it makes you feel any better Doobs, I arrived at work once in the carpark on my vrf800, thought I put the stand down properly and commenced leaning it over . . . and it kept going . . . with me on it!
Anyhow broke a bone in my foot.  I also more recently pulled my r1200GS over whilst parking, but this time jumped out of the way and only a few minor scratches.
ahh those embarrassing moments are worst!
I had just moved up to a new Thunderbird triple, friends suggested to ride down a popular cafe, warm Saturday morning, found the cafe,
"I'll do a you turn" I suggest, I was in a bus stop, peeps had taken on el fresco, I didn't think, I had leather shoes, good for dancing , bad for grip on bike
Pull into bus stop, prepare to turn, right angles to bus stop and direct view of inside and out side peeps,
put my feet down, slight slip to right... bigger slip to the right, no grip bike slowly slides,
Denise steps of and walks away!
bike hit the the deck
snap off an expensive right front indicator and cost me a lot in street cred! hahah - 8)

btt

Happy Birthday Istvan.
[/color]
really sorry about the damage to you, going to be frustrating having just sitting it there, but "absence makes the heart..."

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

Ha, good to know I'm not alone Freezer, my accident ratio is about 8:1 parking standing still as opposed to moving.
I did that about a month ago on the F4i in the Coles carpark. Being cocky, I was throwing the stand down, and getting off the bike in the same motion. Doesn't work if you only flick the stand.  :) No damage apart from a few minor bends on that one because I let it go down. I also have no disc between a couple of vertebrae so can't lift as much as I used to. The worst part of that was the bike was about ten kilos too heavy and I couldn't get it quite up to the balance point and a 75 year old, lovely old woman gave me a hand. It was a touch embarrassing. I seem to do stupid shit in bunches so I'm hoping that's the last of them.

The worst one before that was when I dropped it parking when I'd just torn my AC in my shoulder the week before. I also tore my hamstring when I threw my leg down to try and catch it. I was stuck under the bike because I couldn't lift it off me because of the shoulder and couldn't worm out because of the hamstring. All i could do was laugh till someone stopped to help me. I'm starting to think I need training wheels for parking.

I hear ya Bird, 600's are enough for me. I wouldn't hop on a 900 - 1100. The RR isn't much different to the F4i I was getting off so I'm not concerned about the bike.......once I get on the thing and have a day on it.

Ah Bruce, that's not good. At least you had an excuse (apart from incompetence). :)
It's always good when your passenger just steps off the bike like a cool person, and you look like the noob goose dropping their bike.  :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes blokes.

I go back to see orthopedic on Friday and hopefully get good news about the bones and their alignment, and get it cast properly.
I guess there's half a chance I could drive with the cast in a few weeks, so I might get to do some driving. Because I'm an old fart now I'm not going to do what I would have done when I was younger and I'm going to follow medical advice strictly.

Cheers
Darren

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
Far out this gave me a couple of chuckles.  Must have been a sight when an old lady helped you with that bike!!!  :D

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
Good luck at the docs doobs and wise words "do as they say" it pays off.
Let us know the outcome.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »

Wise, probable the bike was damages too from less interference.
Had broken foot caused on going problems?

Bruce XGN

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal