Xtreme Gaming Network

A video visit to the 1962 Earls Court Motor Show

Author Topic: A video visit to the 1962 Earls Court Motor Show  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
A video visit to the 1962 Earls Court Motor Show
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »
From the Cooper, the Elan through to the coach built Continental Bentley to the Rapide!

The problem with attending car shows these days is that very few manufacturers build anything of interest for those with a passion for older cars. The reasonable alternative would be to hop in a time machine and dial it up to one’s particular year of interest, but, inconveniently, no one has invented a time machine yet (at least that we know of). Enter British Pathe, the newsreel archive kind enough to provide us footage of the 1962 Earls Court Motor Show, now updated to high-resolution video.

Though fans of American iron won’t find much of interest on the floor, those with a passion for British cars will certainly enjoy the six-minute trip into the past. Imagine seeing a new Ford Cortina on the rotating stage, or a Mini Cooper with a transparent bonnet to show off its 997cc four-cylinder engine, which the narrator boldly proclaims delivers, “both economy and performance.” The same narrator would quickly find himself unemployed in the modern world by proclaiming the 850cc, front-wheel-drive Riley Elf (itself a derivative of the Mini) was, “obviously a car to take the female eye,” implying that women shouldn’t be trusted with more powerful or sporting automobiles.
- See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/#sthash.eya0gti2.dpuf

I had the pleasure to be apprenticed on the like of the Continetal Bentleys and had 'drive' them, a very fast car, considering their weight with a top speed unmatched by any thing else on our roads at the time... (and pretty rapid around the Albert Park track road too :))

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:04:16 AM by Flattop »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal