Xtreme Gaming Network

GT3 driver David Perel on real life and simulators

Author Topic: GT3 driver David Perel on real life and simulators  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
GT3 driver David Perel on real life and simulators
« on: September 18, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »
An interesting interview (in English) with GT3 driver David Perel, on his journey into GT3 racing, the dollars, and driving real life and sims. Regarding sims, he says real life driving style is much more aggressive than in sims. You are always doing moves which would be considered "dirty" moves in sim racing. He also says that in general sims don't get the braking right. The real life feel of how a car rotates and the feedback you get via the brake pedal is not simulated very well.

Interestingly, he says that in GT3 racing, you take a "V" line while braking. Brake very hard, nearly stop to let the car rotate, then get hard on the power. It's no wonder so many sim racers complain about understeer. They're just coming in too fast and trying to maintain too much corner speed.

[youtube]rR7Gn3GZTo0[/youtube]
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: GT3 driver David Perel on real life and simulators
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »
 I reckon the missing feel with the brake is mostly the missing 'arse' feel.  I don't think you get too much feedback on a brake pedal, I certainly haven't noticed that, altho I've never driven a GT3 racecar, hehe.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »
you take a "V" line while braking. Brake very hard, nearly stop to let the car rotate, then get hard on the power.
That's pretty much my driving style for all cars, thanks to Rob Wilson. :-[

2+2=√16

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:14:27 PM »
very interesting
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal