Xtreme Gaming Network

Public server racing

Author Topic: Public server racing  (Read 15101 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Public server racing
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
Just one note: do you guys think there is anything we can do to revitalize the public servers racing community in Australia? We used to have a few races during the week on Marty's servers. But that kind of stuff seems to have all but disappeared. I think it was useful for learning to drive in traffic...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Public server racing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
Just one note: do you guys think there is anything we can do to revitalize the public servers racing community in Australia? We used to have a few races during the week on Marty's servers. But that kind of stuff seems to have all but disappeared. I think it was useful for learning to drive in traffic...

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way. Not enough people play it,  with only 4000 player world wide in a day atm thanks to the recent update, its usually around 2800 or so and currently thanks to the update we are getting 900 - 1300 or so in peak times but that is usually around 600 only, half of them from Europe judging by the ping when they join a server and the rest in leagues I reckon

http://steamcharts.com/app/244210#3m
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
ROOZ is running fun run races on Monday nights between seasons, generally a few people there. I think it’s Tatus on Red Bull Ring this Monday

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:28 AM »

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way. Not enough people play it,  with only 4000 player world wide in a day atm thanks to the recent update, its usually around 2800 or so and currently thanks to the update we are getting 900 - 1300 or so in peak times but that is usually around 600 only, half of them from Europe judging by the ping when they join a server and the rest in leagues I reckon

But the numbers were not much different in 2015... what else has changed?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »

But the numbers were not much different in 2015... what else has changed?
There has been a lot of attempts at making public server racing palatable, none of them successful. The whole process of looking for a server to race on simply doesn't work. People get sick of the hit and miss nature.

I have always believed that if, say, XGN arranged that a race would be run every evening at, say, 9pm then there would be a reasonable turnout. At least enough for a race in a smallish field. Not always the same people but enough to make it worthwhile.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
Is that all it takes though? The practice servers are up all the time, available for racing. I think you need at least MR available, and probably admin presence to keep the idiots out. It's all fairly labour intensive.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:54:30 PM »
I think the idea would be to advertise a server as "XGN sprint races everyday from 7-9pm AST" and add a minorating (AB or maybe ABC) with some palatable content for the masses ;)

You do not need too much admin with minorating. But I presume we could share the duties, if needed....

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
I think the idea would be to advertise a server as "XGN sprint races everyday from 7-9pm AST" and add a minorating (AB or maybe ABC) with some palatable content for the masses ;)

You do not need too much admin with minorating. But I presume we could share the duties, if needed....

That's a good idea, I don't like minorating though because it uses so much data on the server I was getting extra costs.
But maybe the Max Collisions x Km kick until restart server setting might work much the same way ?
Also to do this I will probably have to get a bigger server to run another instance ?   But maybe not, its not like the other 2 will have many on if there a few racing ?   Joe might let me know if hew thinks it will handle more or I should upgrade ?
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
Could just use the practise server as is for starters. Also, a range of time doesn't really work. If you turn up at 7pm and no one is on; then the 2nd person turns up 5 minutes after you leave; and so on. Ends up there could have been a race of 5 or more people but they all missed each other by minutes. This is the public server dilemma. So, I suggest to choose a time and see if numbers build for enough to race and then go for it.

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:59 PM »
I can boot up anything you like anytime on my server set up. Don’t have minorating set up though.
Mine are the servers that are named SM_SRV...

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:41 AM »
Could just use the practise server as is for starters. Also, a range of time doesn't really work. If you turn up at 7pm and no one is on; then the 2nd person turns up 5 minutes after you leave; and so on. Ends up there could have been a race of 5 or more people but they all missed each other by minutes. This is the public server dilemma. So, I suggest to choose a time and see if numbers build for enough to race and then go for it.
I see your point, and you are right. But I would still go for multiple sprint races---they seem to work better for a casual public thing than a single longer race. Maybe we can say "sprint races at 7pm" or "sprint races at 9pm". Personally, 6:30pm or 9pm are both more likely for me, as I typically have cooking+dinner around 8. ;)

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:06 AM »
I think you would run something like sprint races every 30 minutes and set the times accordingly. Like 10 min quali and 18 min race (time based race)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:29 AM »
I think you would run something like sprint races every 30 minutes and set the times accordingly. Like 10 min quali and 18 min race (time based race)
yes

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 09:13:06 AM »
As well as races every 30 minutes, what you also need is a kind of way of registering intent online, like "I'm going to be racing at 9pm". Then others can see that there are a bunch of people going to race at 9, for example. It gives people a chance to clump together, instead of turning up at 8:30 and thinking "well, this is dead, I'm giving up for the night". Part of the beauty of league racing is that you know there is going to be a big grid. I don't like turning up to a public server race where there's just one other guy who's heaps faster than me anyway.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »
Having a start time agreed for the "period of racing" is important to avoid the "ships in the night" problem.

I would have liked the AC Booking system to have been modified to be "I am going to be racing on this server at 8pm" allowing other interested drivers to also add their intent to the booking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal