Xtreme Gaming Network

ACC fun run Jan 5 - Porsche GT3 Cup @ Zolder

Author Topic: ACC fun run Jan 5 - Porsche GT3 Cup @ Zolder  (Read 8923 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: ACC fun run Jan 5 - Porsche GT3 Cup @ Zolder
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 09:31:17 AM »
ACC can be frustrating, even more so with a car like this. It's worth watching some of aris' videos to understand how the handling of these cars work, particularly gt3 aero and the brake/coast/gas method he explains. Brake: as late as possible without over doing the apex and not leaning too heavily on the abs. Coast: release brake gently into coast through apex, coast over curbs (not always), some corners require a fair bit of coasting. Gas: Getting a good run off a corner is important but getting on too early when you should be coasting means you'll probably have to get off it a bit. From there it's just a matter of being patient, not pushing too hard and the lap times start to come. I think though once you start to get to a certain point, fine tuning set ups can get you a bit more time however I'm shit at it and just use safe/agg sets depending on track and sometimes conditions.
I still sometimes get a bit frustrated when racing at rooz because I can't get "up there" but pulling back a bit and focus on the these things gets me from outside top ten to sometimes inside top ten with them, happy with that because I'm mostly on the stock sets and I'm pretty sure a lot of them spend a fair amount of time tuning.
The safe sets are tuned for understeer since it's generally the easier end of the car to control so starting out with that, especially rear engine cars, getting up to speed with the car like that first really helps me. I did the hour race Mon night with safe set and came fourth, however a whole minute behind the leaders at the end.
Not trying preach, just offering some tips that helped me get to where I am, now just gotta learn how to get the most out of set ups.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:18 PM »
I had a quick practice the other night and found the aggressive setup was so much better at getting turn in and finding apexes but yes, you do have to be more sensitive with your driving.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 12:40:44 PM »
ACC can be frustrating, even more so with a car like this. It's worth watching some of aris' videos to understand how the handling of these cars work, particularly gt3 aero and the brake/coast/gas method he explains. Brake: as late as possible without over doing the apex and not leaning too heavily on the abs. Coast: release brake gently into coast through apex, coast over curbs (not always), some corners require a fair bit of coasting. Gas: Getting a good run off a corner is important but getting on too early when you should be coasting means you'll probably have to get off it a bit. From there it's just a matter of being patient, not pushing too hard and the lap times start to come. I think though once you start to get to a certain point, fine tuning set ups can get you a bit more time however I'm shit at it and just use safe/agg sets depending on track and sometimes conditions.
I still sometimes get a bit frustrated when racing at rooz because I can't get "up there" but pulling back a bit and focus on the these things gets me from outside top ten to sometimes inside top ten with them, happy with that because I'm mostly on the stock sets and I'm pretty sure a lot of them spend a fair amount of time tuning.
The safe sets are tuned for understeer since it's generally the easier end of the car to control so starting out with that, especially rear engine cars, getting up to speed with the car like that first really helps me. I did the hour race Mon night with safe set and came fourth, however a whole minute behind the leaders at the end.
Not trying preach, just offering some tips that helped me get to where I am, now just gotta learn how to get the most out of set ups.
I think you've got some good speed. I'm always on aggressive and I make it even more aggressive as I'm really bad with understeering cars. I'm usually ok with keeping the car under control, but I'm not fast...haha. I still enjoy it...so many cars on raceonoz...always someone around to race with.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
Getting used to the twitchy cars like the Porsche and Audi on the safe presets is a must, at least for me. Can also tune the under steer out but only start tweaks when you feel you're completely comfortable and at the fastest you can be with safe first. Safe sets are also usually good for curbs and maintaining a bit of consistency. Aggressive you don't have much leeway for small mistakes, they usually end up big ones.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
Getting used to the twitchy cars like the Porsche and Audi on the safe presets is a must, at least for me.

Maybe thats my problem  ;D I hardly play ACC and when I do I just choose aggressive and go. I had fun on Tuesday but was off the pace, and both races about half way through got horrible oversteer

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »
Getting used to the twitchy cars like the Porsche and Audi on the safe presets is a must, at least for me.

Maybe thats my problem  ;D I hardly play ACC and when I do I just choose aggressive and go. I had fun on Tuesday but was off the pace, and both races about half way through got horrible oversteer
The Porsches in particular suffer a lot from shifting weight balance as fuel gets lighter. The other cars don't change balance as dramatically.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »
The Porsches in particular suffer a lot from shifting weight balance as fuel gets lighter. The other cars don't change balance as dramatically.
That could explain it

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 04:20:20 PM »
That could explain it
There's a slider on the aero tab of the setup where you can see the effect of different fuel levels on the aero balance.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal