Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R2: Monza Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R2: Monza Race Chat  (Read 24763 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S14R2: Monza Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
I wear socks in winter and bare foot in summer.
Nothing to do with feel, just keeping the feet warm. ;)

I also left foot brake when the gearbox lets me, if I need the clutch to down shift I'll heel-toe.
I prefer left foot as you can overlap and keep the car settled, especially when braking and turning.
Otherwise there can be a tendency for lift-off oversteer. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »
Having a bare foot on the brake means I get more grip to punch the pedal, where as the throttle I need to gently apply so I need something more slippery that glides over the pedal as I push down hence why I wear a sock on the right foot.

How many of you guys are left foot braking? Would it help in being quicker or just preference. I've always used right foot.
Left foot whenever there is no clutch to operate. I started when living in the US and got an automatic transmission car. After the first few days I felt it was strange I had this useless quarter of my body and so I started braking with it. No need to say: it was not a smooth transition.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
Having a bare foot on the brake means I get more grip to punch the pedal, where as the throttle I need to gently apply so I need something more slippery that glides over the pedal as I push down hence why I wear a sock on the right foot.

How many of you guys are left foot braking? Would it help in being quicker or just preference. I've always used right foot.
I'm like Bacchulum, sometimes left foot brake, sometimes right foot brake.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
I always right foot and heel-toe is way beyond my current ability. Maybe I should give left a go some time.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
I am Faffy :)  I wear kart boots as my feet get sore if i dont,  and i wear kart gloves cause the Alcantara on my wheel makes hands black. I already own said item for when i go karting :)

Currently using these, best ones owned yet,  never buy alpinestar gloves or boots, utter rubbish, i tried 2 sets in the past and both fell apart in weeks
http://www.kkckartshop.co.uk/pc/catalog/1_1517_detail.jpg

I left and right foot brake depending on the car sometimes i do a bit of both in one lap, I think it comes natural to me cause I am lazy and LFB in the old auto ute :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
Im not so much into immersion to try and make it feel like real driving. No need to wear a race suit, boots and gloves for me. I wear some woolen socks mostly and these dont loose any fluff so likely main reason I dont have as many issues as GB does with the pedals.

Braking wise Im much more comfortable right foot braking but then use the left if it is best for that corner. Only real advantage in lfb is for corners where coast gets rhe car too loose off throttle so you may want to drag some throttle into the initial braking and then also transition back from brake to throttle with some overlap.

At Misano I had to lfb into a few corners but at Monza I dont see the need at any corner. The car actually feels much better at Monza then it did at Misano for me.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »
I used to drive barefoot a lot in my younger days. My car had this tiny metal accelerator pedal and I only needed to use my big toe....saved on a lot of effort.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »
I practiced left foot braking in real life, in preparation for sim racing...  (you think I'm joking!?).

For some reason I just prefer left foot braking - or left boot fraking, as they say.  I think I just feel more in control of the car as there isn't that moment when you are lifting your foot from one pedal to the other where nothing is happening downstairs - a bit like a typical saturday night for Marty.

Offline Bafs17

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »
With the G25, socks were a good option for me, but with the load cell on the fanatic pedals I find my feet hurt when pressing down hard on the brake or they simply slide off.

last week I decided to move my brake pedal closer to the accelerator to improve my dodgy heel/toe technique. On Tuesday I got lazy and used my normal wide berth sandshoes and eventually realized that I was occasionally pressing the gas and brake at the same time. that's why I drove straight off during the first lap lol and later while trying to hold off Simone into turn 1. My wheel didn't turn off at all :-[ as I thought at the time. So I back to my slim shoes for next week  :D

Offline Bafs17

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
I can't seem to coordinate my two feet so it's right foot braking for me.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
Interesting read. A lot of little differences we have.

It depends on the car that I'm driving to what my feet will be doing. In the current season I am left foot braking. But if I need to clutch in a car, then the left foot is basically solely used for the clutch and my right foot will be in control of the brake and throttle. I'm pretty bad at heal/toe, I need more practice there before I can rely on that technique. But thankfully it's not a requirement for anything we race or I can turn on auto-blip in AC. I've been meaning to start practicing the heal/toe technique in the new audi quattro in iracing.

I don't like racing in bare feet, it's too cold! Socks are on for all my racing. I'm with Phil too, I need to wear gloves for my wheel, I wasn't initially and relised after a couple months that I had started to wear down the Alcantara. After doing some races my hands can get quite sweaty and that was basically destroying the feel on the wheel. I don't have any fancy racing gloves or anything. I just grabbed the inserts out of my snow gloves :)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
All this discussion makes me think we have not have a "guess who" thread in a long time. Wally: are you ready for a SIMRACING RIG parade?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
With the G25, socks were a good option for me, but with the load cell on the fanatic pedals I find my feet hurt when pressing down hard on the brake or they simply slide off.
All the optional screw holes hurt? ???
I had that. >:(
I just backed off the pressure required ('cause it was buggering my knee as well).
Kind of negates why I have a load cell..... ::)
 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »
All the optional screw holes hurt? ???
I had that. >:(
I just backed off the pressure required ('cause it was buggering my knee as well).
Kind of negates why I have a load cell..... ::)
 8)

Yeah, I've reduced the pressure to the minimum too. I found that at default it was so hard to push down to full brake that after awhile I would get tired and only be pushing down to 50%-75% brake and having my brake points be changing by quite a margin because of it. Also running up the arse of people when they slam on their brakes and I couldn't do the same to pull up in time. Then getting out of the chair relising how sore my leg was, it was a nobrainer to turn that pressure right down.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal