Xtreme Gaming Network

S21R4: Croft Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S21R4: Croft Post-Race Chat  (Read 19006 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S21R4: Croft Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 09:19:34 AM »
I cant believe i had a call at 7 pm to go out for dinner with my wife and mother in law......i can not believe it.!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey joe!!  I love this car ..hips of fun!!!!! Especially at Croft it was real fun!!
Damn mother-in-laws... :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »
Who was in the red car following me? My cars green and the only one in that colour. It was enjoyable while it lasted.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
As to the car, personally I like it. It's fast and predictable

I'll go with Joe, in fact I find the car to be particular unpredictable especially under brakes.

The whole of race one and two were a battle against Shayne with both races decided on the last lap thanks to Shayne's car propensity to eat tires  ;D Sympathies mate I know how it feels to lose positions on the last few corners.

As for Maki Engineering, Freezer seemed to find the car a bit unpredictable as well. Last I've seen of him he was taking a 90° turn into a wall just after the first turn  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:42:43 AM by Mael »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »
I'll post my setup tonight, or add it to the practice server. I haven't had a single mysterious spin.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »
...then had to chase Seanus for a long time until he made a mistake and I could pass (sorry about the tangle at Tower Bend. I was trying to stay wide to give you room, but somehow we ended up rubbing door handles. I haven't watched the replay, so I don't know what happened)...

That was all down to me. I took the defensive line down the inside but having never done that before I was a bit late on the brakes and ended up carting you wide. Lost an extra place for my sins as I backed it right down hoping not to run you off the track and Jeremy nipped past on the inside.
All good. I was hoping to maybe set up a possible criss cross, especially if you got unsettled by the bumps.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
I'll post my setup tonight, or add it to the practice server. I haven't had a single mysterious spin.
Spins aren't my issue, I can control the power on oversteer (thanks to Can-Am 8) ).
It's turn in that I find unpredictable.
One lap I turn in and nothing happens and I miss the apex by a metre or two.
Next lap, same turn in point and it grips up, responds and I'm into the tyre bundle inside the apex. ::)

I suspect it's braking related, as I have to turn the sensitivity right up on my brake pedal to get the ABS to kick in, or I'm just not using the full potential of the retardation available.

2+2=√16

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
The whole of race one and two were a battle against Shayne with both races decided on the last lap thanks to Shayne's car propensity to eat tires  ;D Sympathies mate I know how it feels to lose positions on the last few corners.

I still look at last night as a win, even though both races I ended up losing the position to you in the final laps. The move you made around the outside of me in race 2 was really good. I was actually quite shocked at how well you did in taking that position away from me.

Last night I really struggled with the tyres. I must of been a bit too aggressive with them, not surprising as most laps I was looking at you in my mirrors and trying to make a gap so they were getting a workout each and every lap.

It wasn't just the car that was giving up at the end, my mind and body were calling it a day as well. I'm just glad I was able to struggle through and finish without making any critical mistakes.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
My night started off okay but around 5 or so laps in my wheel went into hypersensitive mode and I spun trying to control it.  A quick reset and back going
but well down the pack.  I chased Bacculum all of the second half and he refused to make a mistake, although I did a few for him!
2nd race not a lot better as I clipped the tyre bundle around half race distance and then struggle to keep a badly damaged car on track to the end.  It was
further ruined by the fact I ran out of fuel on the second last corner . . :(:(:(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »
This was my Croft setup, if anybody wants to try it.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Car was a bit average for me hear, didnt get to change it up much in prac so qual 4th with a meh lap.

Race 1 i got a decent start but couldnt keep up with grat and russ, somehow my pressures were too low and the car was sliding everywhere which compounded into tyre wear which put me back into phil for a nice little fight for 3rd in the last few laps.

Race 2 i made some changes to the car and it was way better and i could fight russ for the lead for a few laps but then he got away towards the end and again tyre wear started to kill me lol i think i may have it to agressive with the cambers or something. The last lap i decided to go nuts to try and build on my 1 sec gap to grat but i instead fried my rear tyre and he caught up lol. Was a good pressure race russ did not blink and the pace was super quick and consistent all race so well done man good drive.
do you even motorsports?

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
I don't think I've disliked a car as much as this one. I did no practice because I hate driving it, but then that means I can't drive it at all for the race. Usually a car I don't really like I can still have fun with in a race but not this one.
You've done a great qualifying though considering that's without any practice.
I beat you by just 2/10 and I did prepare for this race...had to learn the track though.
The car feels pretty good to me and I like driving it.
On the other hand I simply do not understand it...really struggle setting it up.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
Spins aren't my issue, I can control the power on oversteer (thanks to Can-Am 8) ).
It's turn in that I find unpredictable.
One lap I turn in and nothing happens and I miss the apex by a metre or two.
Next lap, same turn in point and it grips up, responds and I'm into the tyre bundle inside the apex. ::)

I suspect it's braking related, as I have to turn the sensitivity right up on my brake pedal to get the ABS to kick in, or I'm just not using the full potential of the retardation available.
As I stated in a previous discussion, my impression is simply that the ABS is not very good and a little hard to predict. So turn in is really sensitive to how much, when, for how long etc you brake. Notice: I am not claiming I am managing better than anybody. Just that experimenting with it I noticed it makes a lot of difference with very little variations...

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
Yeah, that's my current theory Grat.
Therefore it's probably more my lack of sensitivity to the ABS that's causing my issues. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline JamieP

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
I have to agree about the braking inconsistency but found moving the bias a little rearwards helped a lot but I have to change my style to brake effectively. For me it seems to be the bumps that really unsettle the car

Race 1 - started on softs and just hung off the back a little. Made my way past a couple of cars and then just concentrated on being very smooth and making the tyres last. 1st tyre gave up on lap 10 quickly followed by the front tyres and by lap 16, I was struggling to keep the car on track.
Limped home last of the runners

Race 2 - Thought I'd better run the mediums given a higher temp and there was no way to make them last. Proved to be a complete error. I dodged the issues on lap 1 and tried to pull a gap. I knew everyone would catch me but I didn't expect it so quickly. Tried to battle as hard and fair as I could but it was all in vein. Couldn't get temp in the tyres and it was like driving on ice most of the time. Once everyone went by, I collected the tyre bundle and wrecked the car. Came out of the pit almost exactly where I was behind Dave O just a lap down.

I'll be glad to see the end of these horrid things

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »
report---short version: nice tense race. Car is hard to drive and passing is really hard. But pace races can be quite fun. Russ was best.

Q: got out first and had free track almost all the time. I can't really ever say I got a clean lap with this car, but had two that were without major mistakes. One of them was ok enough for pole.

R1: I think I made a mistake in raising the pressure for the colder foggy morning. My first few laps were rather good, and I even managed to open a tiny gap on Russ. But after half race my tyres felt really crap. I tried to make them breath a bit like last week, but it did not work. With hindsight, I should have probably eased off a bit, as there are no clear overtake opportunities, but Russ's pressure was high---so much faster on the last 2 corners---and I forced it a bit too much. I paid a bigger mistake when I put 2 tyres on the grass and Russ just flied by. By then, he clearly had a stronger pace, so there was nothing to do.

R2: the car felt better with the lower psi and warmer track. At the start I kept my left lane to see if Russ would chicken out. But he was good enough to send me back in third (yeah, I know, it was a slightly overaggressive move, but which world champion never did one?). From my third place in the train, I had some difficulty choosing my braking points following Matthew so close. We all three seemed to be stronger in different parts of the track and at some places I would get perhaps too close to them. In fact, after a few laps I had to straighten up to avoid him and went off track. Thankfully there was a nice road there and did not lose more than 2 seconds. I honestly felt I had a slightly better pace than Matthew, but it was far from enough to attack him. So I chose to adapt and perhaps try to keep the gap around the 1 second mark. The pace was very high, though, so it was far from an easy task, as any little mistake was pretty costly. Last lap was obviously a sprint between him and me for the final gap, but ironically he made a mistake on the second-last corner and I almost got him. Ended the race in his wake.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal