Xtreme Gaming Network

Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.

Author Topic: Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.  (Read 16095 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Why NBN and iiNet are a joke.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
I've just had a bit of a look-around.
It seems that the NBN-fiber market is much nicer than the ADSL was.
Nearly all providers have month-to-month subs, most does not charge any up-front fee (Telstra of course does, and a lot at that; and I could not even find month-to-month sign-up option at Optus).

Skymesh, Dodo, TPG, you can just start using it without any subscription fees.  Just sign up, get connected on one of your ports, and done.  In fact you could run multiple connections simultaneously (up to 4 I think).

I might just try some hopping around to see what's it like...altho 'node is OK, they've just increased my plan's limit to 500GB/month, too.
If anything, Skymesh's 100/100 looks interesting, but what for, really...and it's expensive.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
most does not charge any up-front fee (Telstra of course does......
Telstra didn't cost me a cent up front. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
Nearly all providers have month-to-month subs, most does not charge any up-front fee (Telstra of course does, and a lot at that; and I could not even find month-to-month sign-up option at Optus).

Skymesh, Dodo, TPG, you can just start using it without any subscription fees.  Just sign up, get connected on one of your ports, and done.  In fact you could run multiple connections simultaneously (up to 4 I think).

I might just try some hopping around to see what's it like...altho 'node is OK, they've just increased my plan's limit to 500GB/month, too.
If anything, Skymesh's 100/100 looks interesting, but what for, really...and it's expensive.

I'd imagine there is no need to have a technician turn on or off ports etc. with fibre?
I'd definitely be on fibre if I could, but it's not available to me. :(

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
Same here Guy. I live 6mins from the CBD and stuck in an area that that they pulled their trucks out of when Kev '07 announced his great plan. They left 5 streets not done in the whole area. Even got the guy wire up ready to hang that beautiful cable. No chance they'll get back here til the end...sigh.. :'(

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
most does not charge any up-front fee (Telstra of course does......
Telstra didn't cost me a cent up front. :-\
On the month-to-month "no subscription" option they quoted a hefty amount on their site.  No loss for me, I'd never consider Telstra, it's overpriced and there's no network reason (like with a mobile phone) to go with them.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »

I'd imagine there is no need to have a technician turn on or off ports etc. with fibre?
I'd definitely be on fibre if I could, but it's not available to me. :(
No, you simply have 4 ports on the modem, plug the wire into whichever is active - even multiple.  It's far better, as I said, compared to ADSL. No churn is needed.

Rolz

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
Here I am willing to dig the trench all the way to the exchange to get fibre... and I'm in a rental  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal