Xtreme Gaming Network

Poll: Season 15 Cars

Poll

What car do you want to drive in season 15?

Ferrari F138
14 (35.9%)
Tatuus Formula Abarth FA01
5 (12.8%)
Praga R1
20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Poll: Season 15 Cars  (Read 41881 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Season 15 Cars
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »
I'm actually tempted to change my vote as I find driving the F138 a bit boring. Will see after the race though, maybe it's more fun in a race.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
I'm actually tempted to change my vote as I find driving the F138 a bit boring. Will see after the race though, maybe it's more fun in a race.

Boring  ::) maybe your driving the wrong car or not pushing it hard enough. On soft or hard tyres its far from boring as its very on edge even on corners that seem straight forward like the little left hand kink onto the back straight. It doesnt have so much aero that you can run flat in most sections and if you are running that much aero then your likely a going to be a couple seconds off the pace.

The praga is a very basic aero car in comparison and thats not as traction limited so can be easy flat in way more corners, running a race run its going to be far from boring in the f138 I think. Car will want to spit you out into a wall any moment you lose focus or get that little bit too greedy. The praga wasnt that easy near the limit either but also I think the field will be quite a bit further apart in the f138 especially on longer runs where qualy pace may bring people closer. Running long runs on softs or hards will be almost like driving in the wet as the tyres arent going to be great after a few laps and stretching them out for a single stop which is still the fastest most likely will cause a few to make errors.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
Well I'm a couple of seconds off your pace but that's normal.  Been close to 19s a couple of times. I haven't touched setup as wasnt sure what to change. I've also only run a handful of laps and i didnt think much or the praga initially but it grew on me.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
Praga will produce closer racing but then also less passing unless there is a track with long straights so keeping the small tracks for slower cars theory will just make it more follow the leader.

I like to keep it as close as possible to real world series - here is the 2014 Praga schedule, so you can see the kinds of tracks they run on:

18-19-21 April                   Easterraces Zandvoort
23-24-25 May                    Acceleration Nurburgring
27-28-29 June                  Pirelli Superprix Zolder
12-13-14 September      Brands Hatch Grand Prix Track
3-4-5 October                   Racing Festival Spa
17-18-19 October            Acceleration Assen
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »
Just dropped the rear wing down 10 degrees and did an 18.8 after a couple of laps. Still seemed pretty planted though. Whst aero and you running Marty?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
I don't wanna race a Prada :( :(
Never thought a car could annoy me so much. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »

Whats so wrong with the Praga, though I think the Porsche gt3 cup car would be a much better and more fun alternative to it the praga is a fairly simple good handling high aero, low power car.  Racing it on bigger tracks would make for fun draft racing but on some tracks like VIR north there just wasnt anywere to get a draft done easily enough.

The f138 is much more of a challenge but part of that challenge is setup, strategy and driving in a way to maximise tyre life and find the fastest way to complete a race in the fastest possible time. Main reason I am not sharing a setup in this openly is that if people want to run such a car they will need to sort this out and its the key to driving such cars.

During a season people will still likely share setups as I would and GB would most likely, not actually being in the season then others will need to find their own base setups to try make the car work.

MG

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
Agreed!

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you prefer doing. If you prefer fighting against the car more than against other drivers, then you'd probably prefer the F138...

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
I'd prefer the praga over the f138, but I with the praga, anyone who generally came off and kept it under control was back on and at race pace so quick that most of the time it made no difference to the car behind being able to catch or pass them.

THe f138 I can see people coming off and because these cars are so quick they will lose several positions. If they are fast enough they will catch up and pass for positions.  I can't get to race pace and im not used to these cars at all, I'm stuck on 1:25 - 1:26 which is massively off pace and I really don't want to spend hours practising with it.  I will see how I go race wise, but it just doesn't fit with me for close enjoyable racing, but that's just me. I'm finding all the fast cars like this and the 919, 962c, while they are fun to drive, to be a spaced out races with most of the field hotlapping on their own rather than a decent amount of passing after the first handful of laps in a race.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
For me Id race anything but in a pure race a faster trickier car is much more challenging to race close to others. This makes it more rewarding and more fun in a battle, its still not so easy having a proper battle in a slower car just they give you more time to relax as they tend to be less likely to kill you on a sudden error.

The larger the field the more likely there will be people to battle at all levels, I dont think people will struggle along in too many lonely races if the average field is 24+ in any car.

The WEC fun runs and old school mixed class lmp stuff was also fun and will be something Id expect to do at some point later in the year. The next season will be fun in either car I think but the f138 is definatpy a car that needs some laps to get comfortable with it at any pace. The Praga is a car where more people will easier get closer to the cars limits and so will likely have less passing due to more clean and consistant driving by all.

The F138 is great fun on a longer race run, Im not a huge fan of hotlaping it and the main reason I have done most of my laps on long race sim runs and only 4 or 5 actual qualy runs. Getting laps out of it with the tyres going away is much more fun then I imagined it would be. Optional race strategies will also mix things up but Id much prefer people want to run them later so they can put some more test miles under their belts. Also as I will be away and Id feel better about missng a season in the Prada.  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
I just looked back at the race charts of the Formula Renault 3.5 series we did,  and there were lots of close packs. So a faster open wheeler doesn't necessarily mean lonely racing. You can see in Shameless's video of the Tuesday fun run in the Praga that there were close battles here and there, and the season field should be even bigger.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2017, 07:02:20 PM »
Prada's not an open-wheeler, it's a track day car. >:(

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »

I think if the Praga wins then Bacchulum will need some pink Prada sponsorship on his beast.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
Amen brother

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal