Xtreme Gaming Network

Rolling Start app - please try it

Author Topic: Rolling Start app - please try it  (Read 27340 times)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Start app - please try it
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »
Tried it in a normal race online (so I didn't follow the instructions).
When grat stayed in front, it kept telling me to back off and leave space until just before the start straight, when it said catch up.
When I passed grat the next race, it permanently said "stay behind grat" but did nothing when I passed the start in front.

It looks like it should work, but still needs a proper test. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
I just tested in some races seemed to do as it should. One thing I wonder why single file and not side by side rolling starts. If people cant drive an out lap side by side then they wont be able to do it in a race.

Also having a 2 wide rolling start may teach some more about how to leave room and be aware of others in traffic. If its single file starts it would be better off doing standing starts I think.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »
It sounds not too bad then. I gave it a bit of a go on a pub server where it didn't display a name to follow, but the pub servers are a bit chaotic with people popping in and out, or not setting any qualifying time at all.

Single file rolling starts work best as we've seen on Thursday nights. It's enough for people to remember who they have to follow, let alone what side to be on ;)
A single file start is much safer, otherwise there's not much difference to a standing start.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
Just tested it by myself, it works for one. ;) :P
I did notice that tyres are cold and under-pressure by the start (@mugello at least), so starts may not be as simple as it appears. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
Tonights races would be a good time for us to test the app I think. We could all have the app and also be on teamspeak so easy to communicate any issues.

I think it would be good to experiment with a single file rolling start and also possibly a double file. Being a fun run if it turns to crap its not a big deal but no better way to test this now I would think.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
For simplicity's sake, I want to stick with single file rolling starts. Otherwise we'll just have more incidents on colder tyres.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
For simplicity sake then it would be easier to stick to standing starts with tyre warmers on.  ;)

I dont see why you give the league guys so little credit in being able to do a 2 wide rolling start, even if just for an experiment. My main reason is single file will just put even more emphasis on qualifying and make it more likely to stay a procession from start to finish aka more boring racing. Incidents happen at starts of races and mostly because people are unaware of those around them, force them side by side at slower speed will make them need to be more aware of running side by side at much slower pace. If they cant do this then they have no hope doing it in a full on battle I think and at that point why even bother racing if someone is unable to drive alongside another car.

Im not saying anyone here cant run side by side and why I propose 2 wide rolling starts, by saying it wont work and cause more issues means you or most people think many here cant run side by side.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 04:02:24 PM »
These races are primarily endurance type races rather than sprints, so I want to avoid the mad scramble to gain places at T1. Single file rolling starts will help that. You have an hour after that in the endurance rounds to make places.

I introduced rolling starts since the GT style races use them. And yes, I know they have double file rolling starts.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
Fuck that, let's go old skool, 3-wide! 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

But with 2 drivers randomly selected to start in reverse gear...    I like this.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

But with 2 drivers randomly selected to start in reverse gear...    I like this.
Maybe you should do the whole race in reverse? Sound like a fair handicap?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 06:50:47 PM »

Maybe you should do the whole race in reverse? Sound like a fair handicap?

Wouldn't it be fun for half the grid to drive one way and the other half to drive around the other way?  I'd love to see that.  10 lap race around Baskerville with a full grid?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
After last night's test of the rolling start app showed problems with the drive list it occurred to me that it might work with a pre-configured entry list of drivers?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
After last night's test of the rolling start app showed problems with the drive list it occurred to me that it might work with a pre-configured entry list of drivers?
It might do. I'm simplifying the app to take out that name stuff, and I'll try to make it display what position you should be in. I think that getting information about your own car is reliable, but flaky when you try to get information about other cars.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Did a quick test of the app pre tonights race with Grat. Mine said GO GO GO as soon as the session changed over but once we got going it said keep a safe distance and stay in p2 which was correct. For Grat who was in P1 it was also saying stay in P2 but he also got keep under 100kmh once the lights went red yet mine never said this so it must have assumed he was in p1. The lights went green when leader crossed the line and I think this is a bit of an issue.

People could use this to back off a little from the leader if they know he will go at the line and so get a small jump on them and maybe a pass into t1. A good option if possible would be to have lights flash red with 500 to go and then go green as soon as leader exceeds 100kmh and therefore has started the race. This would mean apps need to communicate in some way so possibly not likely unless the leaders app calls race start in chat and all other apps would then read this and go green?

This would give the leader the control of the race either within a certain distance of the line or after the last turn for example and passes after app calls race start would be valid. This would need the app to know all cars positions so maybe it should read this a few seconds after the session changes rather then exactly on session change where AC really does some weird chit that could be causing the position issues.

Will do a report here after the races and maybe good if a few others do also to give Wally some feedback.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal