Xtreme Gaming Network

The driving standards thread

Author Topic: The driving standards thread  (Read 35808 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
The driving standards thread
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »

This is a place to discuss racing incidents in a way that we can learn from them and improve our racing. It's not a place to blame and shame, but for discussion, keeping driver's names out of it.

For example:

[youtube]5CdBfiZLwLg[/youtube]

The mistake the driver of the white car made was to try to squeeze his car into a gap that wasn't there. The cars in front were already two cars wide; a third was never going to fit. He should have been more patient and waited for a better opportunity, or if the two cars in front were going to force each other into a mistake that he could capitalise on.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: The driving standards thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
Made the front page news. I'm really sorry to Jeremy about that one, it looks bad like that. Reasoning (not excuses) I had some pace there and was already on the brakes, but didn't expect bacchulum to slow down that much even though I could see he was side by side with Jeremy. Wasn't intentionally "sticking my nose in" kind of had no where to go. Definitely a lesson learnt though.
It's almost identical to the incident I had with Phil, sorry guy's my apologies

Edit, I definitely needed to own up to this one and go against the no naming policy of this thread
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:09:47 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
Ah, it was just the first one I found. There's nothing especially "newsworthy" about this one!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
Actually, it's probably good to hear from the following driver, to see how they saw it and what they were thinking, if you like. It's good to get to know what the guys around you might be thinking.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
It's good to see that (hadn't looked at the replay yet).
In fairness to bueller, I did brake a fraction earlier then because I knew I had a car on the outside, so I didn't want to run wide into them.
At the time, I didn't know what had happened, if I had drifted wide, if Jeremy had turned in on me, or if it was something different (which it was).

In the end, I guess the lesson to be learned is 2 cars side by side will be slower through a corner, so if you're following, be prepared to brake a little earlier than normal. ;)
Other than that I considered it a racing incident. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
It's good to see that (hadn't looked at the replay yet).
In fairness to bueller, I did brake a fraction earlier then because I knew I had a car on the outside, so I didn't want to run wide into them.
At the time, I didn't know what had happened, if I had drifted wide, if Jeremy had turned in on me, or if it was something different (which it was).

In the end, I guess the lesson to be learned is 2 cars side by side will be slower through a corner, so if you're following, be prepared to brake a little earlier than normal. ;)
Other than that I considered it a racing incident. 8)
I really thought you were going go hard up the inside. I watched this video a few times now and I think I could have done a million other things, but the split second decision from the driver seat was the wrong one. The final punt that sent Jeremy off I was bad also, I do remember at that time thinking "oh no, what have I done" and "which way is he gonna go"

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
Honestly, I would not judge the first contact too harshly. Buellersdayoff thought that Bacchulum was going to take the corner and go, and had a reasonable expectation to just follow that train through the inside and pass Jeremy. Of course he failed to notice how much Bacchulum had slowed down. This is entirely his fault, but a minor one compared to many mistakes we (at least I) do quite often. It teaches us we have to always have 4 or 5 eyes on the speed of the car right ahead of us, its braking lights, and the trajectory it takes---we can't take for granted it'll do what we would do in the same situation.

The second contact is sadder, and it's a mistake I do way too often: after the first contact, I remain in a brief state of confusion thinking "oh, no, I am at fault, I am an ass..." and forget to just do the right thing soon after: slow down and avoid further troubles. I do it wrong all the time, and it's really hard to get out of this habit, it seems.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 06:44:15 PM »
I always thought a sim wheel that gives you an excruciating pain when you have an accident or make contact would be cool for realism
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
I always thought a sim wheel that gives you an excruciating pain when you have an accident or make contact would be cool for realism

They say the 301 (and now the 401) is a bit like that; playing rally is a fairly painful experience.   Although it's a bit expensive and requires its own (sturdy!) room.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
Honestly, I would not judge the first contact too harshly. Buellersdayoff thought that Bacchulum was going to take the corner and go, and had a reasonable expectation to just follow that train through the inside and pass Jeremy.
Not quite how it happened, earlier footage would give a better picture.
Jeremy was passing me, as I had run wide at T1, so all I was looking to do was deny him the apex.
I wasn't sure if the tyres were still dirty or not either, hence I was reticent to really hit the limit as well.
And on top of that, but known only to me, was that was my bogey corner where I struggled with turn in every lap, so I was never going to push the issue there.
 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »

It should be a normal thing,also.repairing the damage with money would be good too :'( :'(

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 10:34:01 PM »
Here's another one. The orange car hits the white car in front who is in full sight the whole time. Racing incident, or avoidable? Note the driver was on the throttle when he hit the car in front, so it wasn't under brakes. It seems more care should have been taken there, with awareness of the speed of the car in front.

[youtube]rZq48f52mIs[/youtube]

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »
That is an interesting one.  From the outside it looks clear cut, but from the inside it happens rather quickly.   Certainly avoidable but surprising.  The kind of accident I'm prone to cause I'm sorry to say.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »
Avoidable but it does happen when the following driver tries to get a run out of the corner to setup a pass on the next corner, so forgivable (like Bird I've done this often enough I'm sad to admit). Should the orange driver have pulled over and give the position back?

Maybe attached an electric cattle prob to the chair?  ;D

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/fXIAAOSwmOJaKSqP/s-l1600.jpg

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 11:13:28 PM »
My take is that it was completely avoidable and to get a run on the car in front, the first thing is not to drive straight into them. There was plenty of spare road on the right.
My 2c
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal