Xtreme Gaming Network

AC server browser android app

Author Topic: AC server browser android app  (Read 51021 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: AC server browser android app
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 06:48:43 PM »
Looking good Joe. I report on the people actually online, not the clients reported, as that can be the number of booked clients only, not who's actually online.

Yeah that part was annoying me. How are you getting that though without polling every server?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 07:20:06 PM »
Looking good Joe. I report on the people actually online, not the clients reported, as that can be the number of booked clients only, not who's actually online.

Yeah that part was annoying me. How are you getting that though without polling every server?

I am polling every server.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
If you want to try it in its current state, you can download the APK file here: https://www.mediafire.com/?mdn3n8yspbmagyw
on your Android device.
Because it's not on the Google Play store, you'll have to go to your settings and go to the Security section and allow installation from unknown sources (other than the play store).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
Awesome work so far Wally.  AND I noticed it's sorted by highest number of players first :)

Only problem is that my phone has come up with a virus warning (avast) "suspicious file detected - APK:CloudRep [Susp]"

I'm guessing that's just because I installed an unauthorised app.  I just hit the ignore button.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
Great! The goal of this app is primarily to show you where the people are racing right now, so putting the busiest servers up the top makes sense.

I don't know how the app can get a virus rep yet, given that you're the only person who's used it :)
It might be because the installer has got a very generic name. More spit and polish to come.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »
Yeah, I thought it was a good move to sort by player numbers.  Makes it a lot easier.  I'm watching F1 practice and checking the app, waiting for someone to jump onto one of Marty's servers!

Is it possible to make it refresh any quicker?  Could it do a run to see which servers have players in them (and if you were able to filter out locked servers / other filters) and only poll those particular servers?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »
Yessir... The plan is to allow you to set up a list of favourites and only refresh them, or update a single server etc.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 11:24:03 AM »
Just gave it a run, seemed a bit slow at retrieving the server list on 4g optus network. Maybe thats because while its running Wally is also sucking data out of your  device which is only fair enough.  :D

Also when I rotated the screen from portrait to landscape the retrieved data was lost and needed a refresh to get the list again.

Pretty cool once it all downloaded, it would be cool if clicking on a server would bring up a list of the guys in the server. Also if we could do a search as in the game lobby where you can type for example xgn marty and just show servers with that in the name.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
Just gave it a run, seemed a bit slow at retrieving the server list on 4g optus network. Maybe thats because while its running Wally is also sucking data out of your  device which is only fair enough.  :D

Also when I rotated the screen from portrait to landscape the retrieved data was lost and needed a refresh to get the list again.

Pretty cool once it all downloaded, it would be cool if clicking on a server would bring up a list of the guys in the server. Also if we could do a search as in the game lobby where you can type for example xgn marty and just show servers with that in the name.

The initial server list isn't too bad... but then it has to go and query each inividual server to find out who's on it, which is a bit slow. It happens in the background though, so you can start using the list that's displayed already. I still want to see if I can speed that bit up a bit.

The screen rotation is a known issue... there's technical reasons why the app can't keep the data, especially if it's still being fetched in the background. But it's on the to-do list, lower priority.

I've aleady got it bringing up the player names now when you click on an entry. It also shows you how many laps, and how many minutes left in a prac/qual session.

I still want to add various search features - like server and player, as well as management of server favourites.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 06:34:01 PM »
New version 0.1: https://www.mediafire.com/?8c3ye336yakxu88

I'm not sure if you have to uninstall your previous version, or overwrite it with this one.
This adds the ability to click on a server and bring up its details showing who's on the server.
Shows time left in a session and race laps.
Also placeholder menu options such as search, settings etc. Refresh on the server details doesn't work yet.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:41:02 PM by Wally »

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
Nice addition Wally.  Could you make it that if you are viewing the players in a server and you hit refresh, it only refreshes the information for that server?

You've probably got a heap to work on so I'll keep the suggestions to a minimum! :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »
Good stuff Wally!

I updated the web version this afternoon to poll any servers with clients on load to get rid of those empty booked servers. It also sorts by clients so the list order dynamically changes as it loads. Added a drop down to change sort order and you can now search by driver name.

http://ac.yeahyou.com:3001/

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »
Nice addition Wally.  Could you make it that if you are viewing the players in a server and you hit refresh, it only refreshes the information for that server?

You've probably got a heap to work on so I'll keep the suggestions to a minimum! :)
That's the plan.  Maybe also auto-refresh too.  Keep the suggestions coming.  It's all good stuff.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »

That's the plan.  Maybe also auto-refresh too.  Keep the suggestions coming.  It's all good stuff.

I was thinking if there were to be any alerts built into it then you'd need some sort of passive auto-refresh to pick up when players are on, etc. when you aren't using the phone./device.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

I was thinking if there were to be any alerts built into it then you'd need some sort of passive auto-refresh to pick up when players are on, etc. when you aren't using the phone./device.

Yeah, that's how these alerts always work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal