Xtreme Gaming Network

My New PC Build

Author Topic: My New PC Build  (Read 35289 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
My New PC Build
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »
Hey all.
Following on from another thread, I'm seeking some feedback on what I'm thinking so I can get back into sim racing.

So my strategy is this:

Short Term - buy a new 32 inch 1440p monitor and minor upgrade of PC to play.  Basically, fun on the cheap.

Long Term - buy cockpit plus 2 extra 32 inch 1440p monitors to run triples and do an overhaul of my PC - when a GPU is available that runs it and isn't rediculously priced.

My current build is:
7970 3gb
i5 3570k
8gb ddr3
Azrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo
Fractal design define R4 case
850W PSU

Short Term I'm just looking at swapping in a GTX 1660 ti.  Will this run AC and ACC at 1440p around 60 fps?  And will I need to upgrade anything else? I don't need Max settings.

Monitor I'm considering is this:
https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/lg-32-qhd-ips-monitor-with-freesync-32qk500-w-lg/

Thanks for any input guys!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: My New PC Build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 05:27:02 AM »
For ac that would be ok although if you run background software like many in-game apps, sim hub, race engineer etc the i5 and 8gb will be the weakest link possibly causing a bit of stuttering. For acc there might be a few cpu related settings that youd need to turn down to maintain a decent frame rate. Do you have a decent cpu cooler for overclocking the cpu? getting more clock speed from the cpu will help however an i7 and 16gb ram will be much better. Try it out first before sourcing upgrades it might be be good enough for you. The 1660ti looks to be a good gpu for a single monitor but will probably struggle triple 1440p (around 11mil pixels) without turning down graphics too much, 4k=8mill.
 Sounds good to me anyways and worth trying it out so to spend only what you need.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 07:38:04 AM »
It would be good to see you back on track Guybrush. I hope you've lost 5 seconds of pace due to lack of practice.  :-X
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:45 AM »
Thanks Wally.  I'll need every bit of practice I can get!
I've been trying to calculate how long it's been since I've properly turned a wheel, and I think it's been at least 3 years???

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
and I think it's been at least 3 years???

I was just about to say it's been nowhere near that long, then I looked back and found my Racer Introduction post and it was over 4 years ago! Didn't think it had been that long, so yeah probably about 3 years since you've raced with us.

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
Hi GB  , I have just done a rebuild and to play with triples at 1080p was an after thought.
I bought the Following.

Amd Ryzen 2600 (not overclocked but turbo boost to 4.2 ghz , I got lucky on the silicon lottery)
Radeon rx 580 8gb
NV me Drive 500 gig ( Only os is installed on this drive and is 5 times faster than an SSD)
16 gig 3200mhz ram ddr4
Asus prime b450m motherboard
3 x Lenovo Thinkvision 27inch 1920x 1080 75hz 4 Ms screens

All works well in single player on high settings , CPU runs at 50%  Gpu 98% and get around 90fps on average.
In an online race the fps drops as low as 45 fps and I really notice the stutters when it does so, which effects the immersion and also the input response times. The third last turn at Okayama was horrid for some reason.

The monitors are free sync enabled ( to go with the Amd GPU )  .

I have had a lot of trouble with refresh rates not matching on all 3 monitors and getting a lot of flickering. After 1 month of research the refresh rate flickering issues is down to AMD eyefinity  ( the equivalent Nvidia's  surround) is not able to cope with using different Gpu outputs. i.e. using 2 HDMI outputs and 1 Display port output or the dvi-d one. Eyefinity needs to use, from what I have read and experienced is the one type of output to be able to match refresh rate across all three screens.
I have managed to fix this issue by not using eyefinity and simply letting windows handle triple screen by extending the desktop and running in windowed borderless mode , which required a few extra settings in the app.ini file and works well now.
Now I also run a 4th screen in a different room and Assetto Corsa seems to handle this ok as long as I make sure in the display settings that the 4th screen is above the three screens. I never have the 4th screen turned on when playing with the triple screens fyi.
The other problems I have had is that I also have iracing and Project Cars 2 and to use them in triple screens with out using eyefinity that 4th screen has to be disconnected physically.

If I had my time again I would make sure that the GPU had 3 outputs of the same type , ideally Display port as they are the best to use ( from what I have researched is that display ports are the only one capable to do 4k gaming above 60hz ) but also ideally make sure your screens also have display port inputs.  For me personally I find 75 hz refresh pretty good I can noticed the difference to when I had it set to 60.
I'd also buy a better GPU, the Gpu I bought was best bang for buck but I would like to be able to run at least 75 fps all the time I am thinking of dropping my resolution down to 1600 x 900 for online racing as I don't really notice the difference and it is 25% less pixels the GPU needs to draw. A minimum of 75 fps keeps the image nice and smooth and matches the monitors capabilities. I haven't tested this yet to see if I get a minimum of 75fps.

For 1440 resolution your going to need a top end GPU I envisage .
I haven't tested my CPU usage in an online race so can't comment on that, I did however notice that if I turned of all unneeded apps in Assetto Corsa the FPS rose, suggesting to me that the CPU was being stretched to its limits.
AMD is supposedly releasing Intel and Nvidia killing CPU and GPU's on July 7th so a few months after that the price for things will drop a lot from where it is now on bang for buck level.

As an FYI my current system with out the Hard drives, PSU and Case cost about $1800 , $660 of which was for the screens just give you an idea of the cost.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:14:05 AM by Jarmel »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 11:46:14 PM »
Thanks dude awesome info and write up
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 05:57:46 PM »
I'm about to build a new one too and was thinking about the following setup. Any ideas on my choices

Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE Intel ATX Motherboard 4xDDR4 3xPCIe 2xM.2 6xSATA RAID 10th Gen LGA1200
Intel Core i9-10900 2.8Ghz 10-Core 20MB Cache LGA1200 CPU with fan

Intel i5-/ i5-10600k

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GD ATX GDDR6 PCIE

Kingston 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX FURY RGB RAM

M.2 NVMe Solid state drive Kingston KC2500 500GB 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:20:03 PM by gawaterman »

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 06:37:13 AM »
Looks good to me GW . 16 GB of ram could be enough and I would probably go for a 3080 over the 3070 oc.
This video shows why:
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
Yeh, I was wondering if I went a bit lower spec on the mb and cpu and spent a bit more on the video card?
btw, have installed W10 now and got AC working in 64 bit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:17:39 AM by gawaterman »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
My only thought is that to save a bit on the CPU, you probably don't need an i9. I recently upgraded to an i5-9600, and it's fine (for ACC anyway).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »
Yeh, I was wondering if I went a bit lower spec on the mb and cpu and spent a bit more on the video card?
btw, have installed W10 now and got AC working in 64 bit.
Good work with W10 now working. As Wally said i5 9600 is good enough. You may still have a problem getting hold of a 3080 though :'(.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
Good idea Wally, the $300 I save on the cpu can go towards upgrading to a 3080.
I can keep using my 980Ti till the 3080,s become available.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »
Quick question  how long between cpu upgrades are you planning  ?

For right now , the 9600k is a slightly better option . But if you don't plan to upgrade for close to 3 years a 3600x will come more into its own as it has  multi threading , 6 core 12 threads.

Another thing to contemplate is the 3080's are going to be hard to get for quite some time still , so maybe jump up to a 10600k or a 5600x  the later which will have gen 4 pcie mobo.  When the 3080s are actually available you may be able to stretch the budget to accommodate the better cpu's now ??

As well as I am presuming Nvidia is going to release new cards to fight back against the new amd cards.

If you upgrade every 2 years ignore my 2 cents and go for what ever you want , but if you upgrade 3+ years the amd cpu's do age better than the intel in regards to the 9600k v 3600x due to multi threading advantage.

edit:  ps  Prices are high atm so waiting a few months may well save you quite a bit, but i understand the i want it now factor also
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:34:31 PM by Jarmel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal