Xtreme Gaming Network

Permanent practice server

Author Topic: Permanent practice server  (Read 16364 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Permanent practice server
« on: June 09, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »
I have created a permanently-on practice server called www.xgn.com.au PRACTICE.
This has the same entry list as the current season, and is just a 3 hour rolling practice session, which you can join any time.

You can see who's on the practice server (and you can also see the best lap times of people who've been on before you in the 3 hour session) by clicking HERE.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:01:00 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Permanent practice server
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
Awesome thank you Wally

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
Wally, I believe you can add more entries than the available pit slots in the entry list. A warning will be issued but connections are still allowed unless more than the pit box number actually tries to connect. It is unlikely that everyone will use the practise server at the same time so this will allow reserves to get some practise time with other racers. thanks.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:09:38 PM »
Wally, I believe you can add more entries than the available pit slots in the entry list. A warning will be issued but connections are still allowed unless more than the pit box number actually tries to connect. It is unlikely that everyone will use the practise server at the same time so this will allow reserves to get some practise time with other racers. thanks.

Yeah, fair call. I'll add the reserves to the list a little later.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »

Worth a try but I think in terms of a fully prebooked server all cars will be preloaded, so if you have more people then grid spots the cars will be placed off the map and likely cause the server to crash or cause performance issues at least.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 07:58:32 PM »

Worth a try but I think in terms of a fully prebooked server all cars will be preloaded, so if you have more people then grid spots the cars will be placed off the map and likely cause the server to crash or cause performance issues at least.

Hmmm, I reckon you're right Marty. There will be a number of people that don't turn up on race night - I'll promote Gratulin to the practice grid in their place.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »
Very kind Wally  :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
I think you can pre-book any number (well over the limit).  We really need to see what it does, first.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
This is great Wally, exactly what we need.  I was on earlier with Flatop and Marty and all seemed good.

I will definitely be practicing on the server from now on.  I just wish you could set the delta time app to compare against your absolute best lap instead of the session best.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:26:40 AM »
Thanks Wally, great to have a practice server that we can join 24/7.

rob

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Threw down a lap last night. Ping was 89. Which is mind-boggling-low to me. I'm a west Aussie. I think I'm the only one atm.

Did notice a bit of a frame skip every few seconds.. Logged out and changed a few graphic settings but the server wouldn't let me log back in to see if there was any change.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
This is great Wally, exactly what we need.  I was on earlier with Flatop and Marty and all seemed good.

I will definitely be practicing on the server from now on.  I just wish you could set the delta time app to compare against your absolute best lap instead of the session best.
I use a dashboard from - http://rivalitempo-softgrip.rhcloud.com/apps 
which from memory shows your best session time and your best overall time plust it then shows both a graphical
and actual time difference to your best session time.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Threw down a lap last night. Ping was 89. Which is mind-boggling-low to me. I'm a west Aussie. I think I'm the only one atm.

Did notice a bit of a frame skip every few seconds.. Logged out and changed a few graphic settings but the server wouldn't let me log back in to see if there was any change.

Dick was your ingame name Dave O followed the car for a few laps last night and saw it at 150-160 ping and had some strange warping around. Quite likely on the bigger server this will be better hopefully, also noticed the car spun at piratella when I was following but I am pretty sure I wasnt close enough to touch it though may have been some net lag I felt no contact and many spin there on their own easy enough.  ;)

Where in WA are you? I think with the bigger server it should be better as I have raced guys in the US with 200 pings and my car wasnt warping around from seeing their replay like I saw that car last nite.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 12:37:27 PM »

Dick was your ingame name Dave O followed the car for a few laps last night and saw it at 150-160 ping and had some strange warping around. Quite likely on the bigger server this will be better hopefully, also noticed the car spun at piratella when I was following but I am pretty sure I wasnt close enough to touch it though may have been some net lag I felt no contact and many spin there on their own easy enough.  ;)

Where in WA are you? I think with the bigger server it should be better as I have raced guys in the US with 200 pings and my car wasnt warping around from seeing their replay like I saw that car last nite.

Hi Marty. Nope, my in game name is Dick Forrest. STEAM name is "warpward"
I was on the practice server alone as far as I could tell. Still felt the pressure though. ;D

I'm in Wanneroo.. About 20mins from Perth city.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
Wanneroo thats where the track is isnt it, do you live in the pit building.  :)

Anything under 100 generelly has been great ping wise even the higher pjigs from os up to 300 are quite hit and miss. Some are fine others warp around like crazy but netcode will improve. If your getting 89 thats no issue at all, what is your best ping to the US as your much closer then me in Melbourne and lowest Ive had was 180 to a us server.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal