Xtreme Gaming Network

More AIM telemetry: understeer and oversteer

Author Topic: More AIM telemetry: understeer and oversteer  (Read 35475 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: More AIM telemetry: understeer and oversteer
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »
Another detailed corner analysis

This is zoomed in on turn 12, from entry to exit. Guy is green, I'm red.

Guy is on full throttle for about 25m more than me on entry. Then he is completely off the throttle (apart from engine blipping on downshifts) for only a short distance on entry (up to 3560m on the chart), which is only still just starting the turn in, while I'm holding about 30% throttle. I'm still coming off the throttle at 3560m, when Guy's already putting it back on. Then from about 1/4 of the way into the corner, he's holding the throttle at 85% to the apex, then he's back on it fully, while I'm still dithering about with the throttle. I'm only back on full throttle about 3/4 into the turn, while Guy's been on it since the apex.

Because I'm holding a bit of speed into the corner, I'm faster than Guy 1/4 through the turn, but from just before the apex, he's already going faster. I'm also understeering because of my 1/4 corner speed. I end up having to turn the wheel twice as much as Guy at the apex (see the STEERANGLE plot).

Guy enters the corner going 2 kph faster than me, and leaves it going 6 kph faster than me. I've lost 0.3 secs in that one corner.

So I should try to come full off throttle on corner entry, start to pick it up pretty high from 1/4 to apex, and then floor it. In other words, slow in, fast out.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
Very cool again.

I always think of a corner as starting from the braking zone and ending at the next corners braking zone.  So you might lose a tenth or so in the corner itself but you can gain far more than that from the speed carried to the next off-throttle corner, which in this case is the last corner.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
Spent a few hours racing Guy around here and a few others, I have got a little closer to him but still about .5 behind if we both have good laps. Quite easy to see he just has a slightly better line then me in some sections but there can also be some great racing in this combo. I was able to maych my pb at the end of a race on hards and would have beaten it by a bit on one race but it ended before we crossed the line.

Offline lratafia

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
hi there, here you can get more info on channels, etc about AIM software,
https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata/videos

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
hi there, here you can get more info on channels, etc about AIM software,
https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata/videos
Thanks, will take a look some time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline SirJack

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 03:21:43 AM »
Where do I find the values for the wheelbase?
Many thx in advance:)!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »

I just googled the value for the actual car.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »
Thats quite intersting and I noticed guy getting on gas just ahead of me everywhere when I followed him. Braking could be as I have the pedals on a linear line where default has a curve to it which guy may be using as we both have similar pedals and gteye springs, Im using the g25 he is g27 I think.
Does Guy left foot brake..?  hence keeping the right foot ready to go on the gas...

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:25 AM »
Thats quite intersting and I noticed guy getting on gas just ahead of me everywhere when I followed him. Braking could be as I have the pedals on a linear line where default has a curve to it which guy may be using as we both have similar pedals and gteye springs, Im using the g25 he is g27 I think.
Does Guy left foot brake..?  hence keeping the right foot ready to go on the gas...

I don't think he even has a break pedal installed Freezer. He is a master cutter.

Offline SirJack

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

I just googled the value for the actual car.
ah ok :) Guess I will find it soon :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:14:00 PM by SirJack »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal