Xtreme Gaming Network

Computer upgrades..

Author Topic: Computer upgrades..  (Read 62159 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Computer upgrades..
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »
FC4 is running 50 - 60 FPS on high settings @ 1440p for me. Pretty happy with it.

Dick we'll have to have some co-op action.

As far as graphics cards go I'd just get the best available for the price.  That's what I did with my 7970 and I haven't had any problems with it.  Thought a driver update caused some stuttering last night but it turned out to either be the Ubisoft launcher or Fraps.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
RAM; windows and a few running programs can easily chew up 6-7GB.  Don't ask me how.  My "idle" (i.e. mail client, skype, browser running but only one tab) ram usage is 4.9GB.
As you install crap that runs in the background, it'll always grow a bit.   
16GB is not waste, believe me.  It ensures that windows won't force stuff on that stupid ramdisk/cachefile (what was it called?).

Playing on SLI;  I've had SLI before, just not 970 - I was using 2x670.  And something else before that.  But SLI for long generations now, I've even done it with Ati cards :)   The first card always runs a bit hotter, and if your mobo layout puts the two cards side-by-side with no gap, that can further increase the heat.   Some cards can overheat that way.   Some gets hot but can tolerate it. 
The current mobo I'm using has a gap between just for this reason.
The current case I'm using (Thermaltake Fortress ft02) was also selected for best airflow & positive air-pressure (plus to reduce dust).

I'm also sporting a h80i watercooler on the cpu;  The main advantage is that it takes the heat out of the case, so other components (gfx cards & mobo chipset) can breathe easier.   Otherwise the water does not cool too much better, compared to a good air cooler  (it's a common misconception - and true if compared to the shitty default coolers).   

As for noise: a big fanless cooler or one with a nice big low-rev fan inside the case will be actually more quiet to you than the WC's fan right outside the case. 

But for a good air-cooler, you'll have to fork out nearly the same amount of money!  And it's a big hunk of sharp metal, that can even damage a motherboard in extreme cases, being too heavy; and it blocks access to other parts, too, it can restrict your choices of ram (space constraints)...etc.

However, if you never plan to overclock, you can fairly safely stick to the stock one. As long as the case have a decent airflow it'll be ok, unless your cpu dissipates an unusual amount of heat.  (there were a few models that were good for cooking eggs...)

Now as for the cost benefit; if you're buying a low-ish cpu, then it's sometimes indeed cheaper to upgrade that instead of buying fancy coolers and o/c.   From the mid-range up, it's borderline, high-end will definitely be more cost effective to overclock with goood cooling.
Plus the wc has the added benefit of keeping other components cooler, as I said.

But again, with one good (as in not running hot) gfx card, and a non-oc cpu you need not worry about wc.  Hence my recommendation of a 970 :)  It's not too power hungry, runs cool and has power to serve you well for years.  Sound investment IMO ;)

Edit: fark, this got long.  Sorry, hehe.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »
It's all great info thanks Bird!
  Looks like once you go SLI you never go back!
What if I found another GTX 660Ti?  Waste of money? Quite naively, I've been hedging all my bets on my 660ti being able to keep up for a few more months. I haven't had a huge look. 970s are all around the $500 mark which make me screw my face up a little.
 Would like to be on the short side of $350 for a GPU. $500 dollars will get me very close to a 20mm Nikkor lens I've been wanting for ages. Oh it will also buy food and water for a month and a half.

I've got a massive thermaltake tower as well. About 70 fans in it. Will be replacing a couple of them on sunday... noisy bastards! shut up!

Yeah Guybrush! Looks interesting the co-op. Wonder if it saves as progress in single player. So far I've only completed the 1st prequel and had a bit of a explore. It's got a huge farcry 3 feel to it. Not sure about my characters story line / history though. Farcry 3 did that very well, established who the character is and his background story in the 1st few minutes of game play.... Here I'm not sure. I think I'm meant to be some TV star or something?

edit.. looking at Toms hardware charts there is little point me getting something in the 700 series unless it's a Ti model. Then it's only a few dollars short of 900 series in that case. Remember, I'm totally ignoring the well positioned, over-powered, under priced AMD crap.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:38:50 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
You're the son of a lady who was involved in the factions but escaped to America.  You've returned to spread her ashes, but unaware of all the unrest.

You're right though, there isn't much fleshed out for the story, at least not in the short time I've played it.  The cinematics that are there are really well done though.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2014, 09:43:26 AM »
You're the son of a lady who was involved in the factions but escaped to America.  You've returned to spread her ashes, but unaware of all the unrest.

You're right though, there isn't much fleshed out for the story, at least not in the short time I've played it.  The cinematics that are there are really well done though.

Ah that's right. I forgot about the ashes. There are radio towers too yeah? I haven't seen any.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »
edit.. looking at Toms hardware charts there is little point me getting something in the 700 series unless it's a Ti model. Then it's only a few dollars short of 900 series in that case. Remember, I'm totally ignoring the well positioned, over-powered, under priced AMD crap.

Well, SLI has its own problems.  You're far better off with one capable card.  But! Getting another 660Ti will get you a bit of a boost.  Not double, mind you.  It depends on the game, some will not benefit at all(!) some will get you 50%-70% extra.   The only things double are your electricity bill and the heat & noise :)

My main reason for SLI is the triple screens.
Also: it's not feasible to go for top cards, as they're often extremely expensive and up on the top the $/performance ratio is really not in favour of the customer.  So two cards somewhat off the top will usually net me better performance.

But there's also the fact that the latest 9xx series cards are extremely cheap compared to the usual new release cards, and they're a nice jump in performance over even the last gen top cards (ask Marty :) )

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2014, 08:25:09 AM »
Ok been playing a bit more FarCry 4. i'm downgrading my PC performance to kinda choppy. Still playable. Huge fire fights I get a bit of chug.
  Watching my cores in my old 2.4 quad they are all hanging around 90% one at least is topping out a fair bit. So will pick up some performance there I hope. RAM is about 57%
   So looks like I'm going to be pulling my hair out till I replace my old GTX 660ti...

Edit.. I know AC hammers my CPU so will see some performance jump there.... maybe.

for sale: GTX 660 Ti.   Never raced.

found a cheapish 970. hmmm Am I tempted. I want to wait for some magical xmas specials... Or do I just get all over and done with..
http://www.msy.com.au/wa/balcatta/graphics-card/14597-gigabyte-n970wf3oc-4gd-4g-gtx-970-oc-pci-e-vga-card.html

further research I find a handful of cheaper, faster AMD cards. This is where brand loyalty sux lol.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:20:29 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »

Well, SLI has its own problems.  You're far better off with one capable card.  But! Getting another 660Ti will get you a bit of a boost.  Not double, mind you.  It depends on the game, some will not benefit at all(!) some will get you 50%-70% extra.   The only things double are your electricity bill and the heat & noise :)

My main reason for SLI is the triple screens.
Also: it's not feasible to go for top cards, as they're often extremely expensive and up on the top the $/performance ratio is really not in favour of the customer.  So two cards somewhat off the top will usually net me better performance.

But there's also the fact that the latest 9xx series cards are extremely cheap compared to the usual new release cards, and they're a nice jump in performance over even the last gen top cards (ask Marty :) )

Do you really need SLI for triples? My single 780 already copes with triples, so 1 980 would do even better.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
Dick, check the prices on staticice, I reckon with a bit of fishing around, or hunting for a xmas sale, you might be able to find something closer to $400.  And maybe not from MSY if you want to avoid potential support issues...
My fave shop is pccasegear  But they only have noname (or shit-name) cards around that price point.

Wally;  I maybe able to run w/o, but don't forget that I run an extra MP on you with 5760x1200.  I'd love to be able to compare it; however, I do not have an extra 980 for testing :D   If I had been adventurous enough, I could have bought one 980 to start with, and maybe another later, but I didn't.  And the price is steep enough on the 980 that I could easily chuck in a third 970 for the price of 2x980 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal