Xtreme Gaming Network

Is it just me or is AC...

Author Topic: Is it just me or is AC...  (Read 16608 times)

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
Is it just me or is AC...
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
A load of crap?

Sorry I know I'm going to get serious flak for this but honestly I just drove the lotus round donington...I'm new to this game but been a sim racer for years, had a few years off and I know I'm rusty but a lotus that I can plant in any gear takes no throttle balance its just on or off..and steers and feels like a bag of shit FWD Seriously feels crap And the ultimate driving machine...the BMW, feels even worse..and I've owned a few of them....I thought it was just my wheel settings etc with the feel issue and just reloaded my simbin titles and all of a sudden my wheel feels alive, yes the race07 stuff is dated but driving a gt Aston I'm having to think about my braking balance the car on the throttle etc If I don't i spin out immediately...everything I drive on AC feels like it either just wants to under steer on the throttle or lights the tyres and spins u off or just drives like grand turismo

Rant over sorry

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or is AC...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
Sorry, but you're contradicting yourself a bit.

First you complain that things require no throttle balance, then complain that they either understeer or spin the tyres.   That can be avoided by a bit more refined throttle handling.

But to be honest, if I read you correctly you do have a controller setup issue, and potentially a too short pedal throw - or a heavy right foot :)
Simbin games had a decent enough FFB, but they were nowhere near as refined as nkp and ac are.   In my experience nothing comes near to the feel of kunos games, and that includes rf, rf2, iRacing, cars and lots of simbin titles just off the top of my head.

But if your wheel isn't set up right, or if you're running worn out pots, short pedal throws, etc, those will always be problems.

Maybe share your wheel and your in-game setup and ask for help?

disclaimer:
In-game FFB's are not exactly the feel of a real car, usually, because the feedback in a car comes mostly through the seat.  In sims, the feel must come through the wheel, only.  So if you are comparing to real life, indeed iR is simulating more correctly - but that means less feel online.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:04:18 AM by Bird »

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:14:33 AM »
I mean certain cars in the game light up the tyres have no grip and others like the lotus I just drove are dead..pedal to the floor under braking and it still turns..plant the throttle and it just accelerates with under steer if u are to hard on the throttle...I don't think there is anything to wrong with my setup now....not being big headed but won a race and got 2 poles so it can't be to different to the other Alfa merc guys...And really I'm not talking about feedback alone here,  physics I suppose but sorry but in my opinion the lotus which should surely be a pointy twitchy oversteery car feels and acts like a front wheel drive and u can stamp on the brakes like a arcade game.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
Your probably using all the aids, if a server has factory assists then it uses all these by default and you need to turn them off.

Running TC will take away most need for throttle control and if you dont want abs you also need to turn this off. Use the ingame electronics app to see whats running and turn off the things you dont want. Also check your ingame settings make sure your not running any other aids like stability control.

Having a look at stracker results from the thursday serverhttp://52.64.7.168:8080/lapstat?track=doningtonpark-national&cars=bmw_m3_e92_s1,ks_alfa_romeo_4c,lotus_evora_s&valid=1,2&date_from=&date_to=

This shows your running TC in the car you also have auto blip and lift, you also dont use a shifter with the manual cars like the Alfa on tuesday nights.

You may also want to wait til there is a season where everyone is using equal cars before thinking too much of your results in the clearly fastest car in the field.  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
You may also want to wait til there is a season where everyone is using equal cars before thinking too much of your results in the clearly fastest car in the field.  ;)

Hehe.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »
The point I was making is there is nothing wrong with my setup as in compared to other alfas as I'm on the pace...And I use Paddles because I only have one arm lol...all I'm saying is if it's a sim it shouldn't have traction control etc, unless it's  realistic surely....just saying that the production cars feel horrible not sim like to me

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »
In recent years, I've run rFactor, rF2, pCars, NKP and AC (many Simbin  titles before that). I always liked NKP's progressive feedback, easy to feel and catch a slide. That wasn't in AC from the start, but now it's there. I really appreciate how you can feel the weight of the car in AC, and how it shifts. They really feel like they have sprung mass. Each car has a distinctive feel, as opposed to feeling "generic".

I think there's quite a bit of evidence that AC cars behave pretty much like the real counterparts. The real cars don't, in general, try to kill you if you touch the throttle, especially road cars.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
In AC you can make it so TC and ABS are "factory" I. E.  Only enabled of the real car has them.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
The point I was making is there is nothing wrong with my setup as in compared to other alfas as I'm on the pace...And I use Paddles because I only have one arm lol...all I'm saying is if it's a sim it shouldn't have traction control etc, unless it's  realistic surely....just saying that the production cars feel horrible not sim like to me

It's realistic, in the way that the real cars have it.   But if you don't like the feel (many don't) then switch it off, see if it feels better (it will).
Too easy.
Edit: OH, wait, I did not even remember you could switch this crap on for cars that don't have it.  Ok.  I use the real config, where it is only enabled if the car has it - and even then I often switch it off or switch the TC to a less over-bearing level.

And Marty simply had to assert his speed dominance, don't mind him ;)
He and Guy can be real speed demons.   Guy might even beat your alpha using the beemer, he's a real alien.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:54:18 AM by Bird »

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »
Lol I'm no alien and don't profess to be..but I'm reasonably competent I'd like to think after starting on Geoff crammond and carrying  on since then lAnd having raced for 15 years in real life at A  international licence grade lol...I'll try with the aids off...I'd assume the server would be set to "sim" just giving u gear and clutch options but obviously I'm wrong, like I said I've had the game only a few weeks so still learning, just making the point that many of the cars had a real dead feel to them for me...yes feel weighted but unresponsive,  Just expected it to be a huge leap in sims compared to what I'd played in the past And for me it doesn't feel like it at the moment

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
That's exactly why I said, compare configs with others.  It sounds like it could be set up better.
Most of use past sim-racers say compared to other sims this is much better.  It's either your mileage (with real cars, maybe?) or your setup.  Might as well compare it, right? 

Speed on track has nothing to do with it. :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
Thats why you should turn on the electronics app as this will show you what is on in the car. The server is set to factory so people can use what the car has and most street cars have tc. Using these wont make you any faster and most of the time will slow you down but it makes it easier and more boring to drive.

I turn TC off always I fiddled with it in a couple cars but its way more fun off and faster in most cases too. It can be annoying turning it off in some cars with heaps of tc settings but with the electronics app I can easily see if I need to turn it off. Ingame you use ctrl t for traction and ctrl a for abs. I have mapped these to my wheel so I can do it easier even without easy access to the keyboard.

ABS it depends on the car but most street cars have abs on and you cant easily turn this off. Turning off ABS on some street cars makes them quite bad as there is no way of controlling brake bias and so you will struggle with brakes locking on most corners and be quite a bit slower so for most street cars that have it is best kept on.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
Nah AC is way more detailed than anything else I have driven, I find there's so much feel in the wheel and you have to be very correct with how you drive the car with throttle and brake inputs providing you have all assists off otherwise yeah its point and shoot... I have my game set to factory so its what the real car would have like others have said. Try driving 458 GT2 I don't think that has assists or the 1989 c9 merc that's a handful lol.

Out of curiosity what did you race in real life?
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »
With the lotus cars the Evora is the worst handling of the lot, try an Elise or Exige any variant and they are much better cars. These also are all rubbish with paddles and putting tc on a lotus just turns it into a rubbish car to drive. The Evora is the first one where they added extra weight for comfort of the passenger and so its quite different to all the other lotus cars they have.

Id say turn off tc in any of the cars you tried and you will find they are much better. Especially cars like an evora or e92 which the only time youd turn on tc if driving in a severe storm maybe. On track nobody would really use tc on these as it just hurts feel and performance.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
Some great advice thank you guys...then it seems I just have been driving shit cars in this and had idiot aids on some of them...if u guys have similar sim experience to me and are saying it's far better than all the old titles we played then there is something seriously wrong with my setup somewhere obviously..So I use paddles and auto clutch do I need throttle blip etc? I have no option to use anything but paddles unfortunately so stuck with that.

Re racing Mathew used to race motorbikes  had a bad injury then went onto karts then super karts on long circuits running 250 Grand Prix bike Motorsport the British european championships etc on most of the UK euro circuits Isle of Man Donny silver stone Oulton pembrey etc etc...won at national level but never had the huge budget to beat factory teams lol, regular top 10 tho as a privateer...love sim racing tho hurts and costs less after a 220 kph into the wall at church corner thruxton  Lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal