Xtreme Gaming Network

The driving standards thread

Author Topic: The driving standards thread  (Read 11558 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: The driving standards thread
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2020, 09:12:45 PM »
It looks a lot different from the cockpit when racing and fuelled by adrenalin and sometimes frustration, everyone makes mistakes so it's important to remain calm. Learn from them. Two incidents linked by a bit of door rubbing. T1 both cars out braked themselves, the Volvo swerving a bit in fear of rear ending the other car and starting the bumping run to t3. T3 Nissan took a dive, looks as though was barely going to make the turn anyways and bounced off the Volvo sending it.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »
We had an incident at monza in ACC , just because your nose is in front doesn't entitle you to the all the track . You haven't made a pass until you are clear up til that point you need to leave room.  Yet you were angry at me for defending while you are overtaking and saying i should of yielded even tho we were still side by side more or less.

Ahhh  Monza chicane. Wish they buldoze that corner. Two wide on the exit there end up in tears probably 50% of the time.

I also disagree that there always should be space left on the outside. It is corner/situation depended. For example Phil and I went into the fast uphill left-hander at Laguna Seca side by side. I did not leave space on the outside for him. The only time where I would leave space on that corner is if I'm a lot slower than the other driver and accept there are no way of keeping him (or her) behind me.

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2020, 12:26:30 AM »
We had an incident at monza in ACC , just because your nose is in front doesn't entitle you to the all the track . You haven't made a pass until you are clear up til that point you need to leave room.  Yet you were angry at me for defending while you are overtaking and saying i should of yielded even tho we were still side by side more or less.

Ahhh  Monza chicane. Wish they buldoze that corner. Two wide on the exit there end up in tears probably 50% of the time.

I also disagree that there always should be space left on the outside. It is corner/situation depended. For example Phil and I went into the fast uphill left-hander at Laguna Seca side by side. I did not leave space on the outside for him. The only time where I would leave space on that corner is if I'm a lot slower than the other driver and accept there are no way of keeping him (or her) behind me.

This is the crux of the matter. I believe and i thought anyone who sim races would always try and leave room in these situations as its the done thing , Therefore i am presuming you are alone in thinking its ok not to leave room on exit ?    If there is overlap you leave room when overtaking period no exceptions in my book. That doesn't mean mistakes don't happen.
 If others would like to pipe up and say my thinking is wrong i'm all ears .

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
I also disagree that there always should be space left on the outside. It is corner/situation depended. For example Phil and I went into the fast uphill left-hander at Laguna Seca side by side. I did not leave space on the outside for him.

And this goes back to what I'm talking about different people racing in different ways. Some will always give space and some won't. Once you know who those people are you adjust accordingly to save issues like this. I believe you should always leave a bit of space, but some people believe once they've 'won' the corner they can drive for the apex. Probably no right or wrong as rules aren't in stone, just takes experience driving with different people.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:29:40 AM by Joe »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2020, 10:40:51 PM »
I always try to leave space. That way we both get to fight on.  Doesn't mean I make it easy for people to pass, I value race craft and positioning my car well.
That said, if you watch supercars, many will run someone onto the dirt once inside them!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal