Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat

Author Topic: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat  (Read 15477 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S13R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:11:52 PM »
You could try a lot more toe, either in or out, on the right side, although I don't know if asymmetric toe will make the car handle strangely. In theory, more toe should heat the tyre.

It would come to the point where you negatively effect the handling more then you would gain from the added tyre temps. In the GTR in practice I tried everything I could to reduce the left front overheating too much. Right rear was barely up to temp all race too but that really wasnt as bug a concern.

In the end I couldnt find anything in setup and just had to change line and amount of load Input through that tyre in the corners that were killing it. This meant early I was slower then it could be but meant at the end of the race I wasnt as slow so net result was better off conserving that corner a little.

In the other cars if you couldnt get useable temps on the left side at these temps lets hope we dont have a similar track in cooler temps. I think there are a couple of aussie tracks with eastern creek and the tassie track so this should be a change from the ones we are running in summer.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Need to take a look at my mic, think it's been playing up recently. Probably doesn't help having a 9 month old that loves cables...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
I dont remember hearing you much if at all on teamspeak Joe, so if your being ignored maybe ask if anyone can hear you. I often put my mic on silent then forget to turn it back on.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
I dont remember hearing you much if at all on teamspeak Joe, so if your being ignored maybe ask if anyone can hear you. I often put my mic on silent then forget to turn it back on.

I tested in recording devices that it was being picked up before loading TS and could see it was. Maybe needs a boost or something. Will have a look for next time.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »
Here is a video I made of race 3 at Paul Ricard.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 12:08:11 AM »
Good stuff Marty and thanks for posting it on the AC forums too.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
You could try a lot more toe, either in or out, on the right side, although I don't know if asymmetric toe will make the car handle strangely. In theory, more toe should heat the tyre.
In practice it will put the steering off centre along with the expected toe change. Not sure what happens in the sim.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »

Who was the driver taking the massive short-cut in T2 just after the start?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »

Who was the driver taking the massive short-cut in T2 just after the start?

That was Matthew but you can see he was just ahead of me on entry into the corner then he got tagged and sent straight right this forced him out there. He then ended up rejoining in pretty much the same position relative to me and he only went so far inside because he got a big assist from behind.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »

Some nice horn blowing there. Can see me getting spun around at 4:47 in the rear view, just wasn't my night at all..

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
Lol I remapped my horn and lights back from the f1 mappings, couldnt remember which was which.

There were a few spins around me I was just lucky to not be too close to them. I see in results I just had 2 contacts both with Rob on lap 1. First one would be when I was 3 wide and got squeezed a bit from outside and shifted left into Rob before bailing on the move.

Into the next corner he had a slower car ahead and so brake considerably harder then I expected and so tagged him again :'(. Neither contact was his fault in any way but seeing I had to pass a bunch of cars and was very close to many that being the only touches I thought I had a pretty clean night.

Race 1 was a lonely afair so there was nobody to hit. Race 2 I got rear ended by Bacchulum much like how I got Rob in race 3 I think but that was a much harder hit. I think I gave someone a light touch inside around the 3rd last turn. Guybrush did well not to ram me the last 3 laps or so of race 2 as I was painfully slow into right hand turns with him trying to pass but the awd saved my bacon on all exits. I was expecting a push to pass at some point as it must have been fairly frustrating stuck behind me for that long. I want to check the replay to see if I was fair in defense which I thought I was at the time but it may have been a bit verstappen.

I did think at some point it would end in a hamilton rosberg type mess but our team seems to be better then that. On race nites at least that is seeing we practiced hitting eachother plenty in practice racking up some MR hits.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:52:00 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 12:27:45 PM »
It was interesting to watch Marty following me for several laps in the video, to  see how his line compared to mine and where he gained time. I may have been being defensive, but I can see that I have a bad habit of not using all of the track on turn in, ie not turning right from the very left of the track. I tend to make the corner too sharp.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Great video, I have to have a laugh at myself... Im thinking, "that's the lines I take" hahah, the difference between perception and reality! 
Not to mention attempting versus execution! If only I did get some of your lines Marty I'll be happy!
Like the explanation for race one lack of excitement!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:01:47 PM by Bruce »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
It was interesting to watch Marty following me for several laps in the video, to  see how his line compared to mine and where he gained time. I may have been being defensive, but I can see that I have a bad habit of not using all of the track on turn in, ie not turning right from the very left of the track. I tend to make the corner too sharp.

1 thing with lines especially here is the fastest line using all the track will open you up inside at just about every corner if someone is close. If you go too wide in then anyone can brake a bit deeper and take away your apex at which point you lose the inside lane and have most likely lost a spot.

In defense a tighter line ensuring to hit each apex and never outbrake yourself. If the guy ahead is pushing entries too much they are bound to make an error miss an apex and the guy behind can either sneak inside or simply get the better run out to pass on the next straight. I think you did this very well Wally I needed a great exit put of the last turn to get the tiny draft and help get into position to make a move into t1.

Its quite fun from the back while battling the others around you also trying to get through the guys ahead. Last race I always wanted to maintain at least 1 extra car between me and Guybrush to keep him off my back as he had the pace to be a proper nuisance.  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 03:44:57 PM »
Here is the last 3 laps battle for 4th with Guybrush, he clearly had the pace on me as he caught me fairly easy once he had clear air. I had to go fairly defensive as my LF was badly overheated and I had some rear damage from an early tap and I balanced this out on the second last lap with a bump into a tyre bundle.

Lines were fairly tight as I just couldnt let Guybrush take the inside into a corner and if he got ahead I would never have caught back up. Seeing in the end we finished on equal points for the round this helped save me from dropping 2 points to him so was well worth the battle.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:49:44 PM by marty »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal