Xtreme Gaming Network

S12R6: Imola Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S12R6: Imola Post-Race Chat  (Read 11753 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S12R6: Imola Post-Race Chat
« on: July 19, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »
RACE RESULTS, CHARTS AND RIVALS

Clean starts, no penalties.

Round Points

NameQualRace 1Race 2BonusTotal
Marty
Matthew111
Phil.8
Mael
hylas
Bacchulum
Wally
Freezer
Bafs17
Rob
Joe
Doobs
Hornbag
Chap111
Congratulations to the Season 12 Champion, Marty.

Podium
1. Marty, 448
2. Matthew111, 426
3. Phil.8, 366

Season Stats
Marty dominated the statistics.

Most wins: Marty, 7
Most podiums: Marty, 11
Most poles: Marty, 6
Most fastest laps: Marty, 10
Most consistent: hylas, 4
Hunter: Bafs17, 3
Hunted: Freezer and Matthew111, 3
Busiest: Freezer, 3
Loneliest: Doobs, 3
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:58:10 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S12R6: Imola Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »
Good round for me.

Race one was a solid run after getting over a couple of silly early mistakes.

Race two was difficult. Heard this funny grinding noise before race start before realizing I left the car in gear  :(  Started the race with a yellow gearbox and ended it with a bright red one. Luckily the race was not one race longer.

The lotus seemed to be a lot faster than usual or was us Ferrari's (excluding Phil) just slow?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
Thanks for organizing another awesome season Wally
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »
Second race back after the long break and really really enjoyed both races; way better than last week when I was way out the back with nobody in sight.

First race was in a nice little group for a while with Mael, Wally, Bafs and a few others which I ended up at the front of after Wally's monitor incident only to spin off on the second to last corner soon after and have to let that group by again for a safe reentry. After the pitstop I didn't have anyone ahead, but after a few laps had Freezer slowly gaining on me. Was pretty confident I'd hold him off till the end, but on lap 16 or so I messed up my entry to Tosa and lost traction on the curb letting Freezer take me up the hill. Kept him relatively close right up until the last lap where when pushing a bit hard I lost traction on another curb.

Second race I started way out the back due to only running 2 races this season, then was right behind Wally and his fuel laden Ferrari for 10 laps but couldn't get by. Any time I got close enough I'd make a mistake and drop back a little. After the pit stop there wasn't really anyone around me but I slowly started gaining on Bafs (good to see my old nemesis is still around). I closed the gap a little pretty much every lap to the point that we crossed the line with me on his rear bumper. Great chase.

How many people did we loose while I was away? We were a 20+ grid back then with people in reserve  :o

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:56:28 PM »
Was a fun season thanks Wally and all that hung in there in these tricky cars.

Race 1 was actually great fun thanks to again the 2 stop strategy. Ive had a few starts since 1.7 and first jump so was good timing. A bit of a shame as Matthew was right on the pace and so it ended our battle that race, getting back in the pack it was fairly hectic but all did well to keep it clean. A couple of my passes were more aggressive then normal as I was somehow hoping to get into a top 3 position at the end. I pushed real hard but made a couple of little errors but in the end they only cost a couple seconds and I was about 20 seconds off the lead 2 so it made no difference. I think I got into 3rd with about 1 lap to go but must have made 20 passes that race due to my drive through and second stop.

Race 2 I had hoped for a better start and got off the line well but then shifted to 2nd and got bogged down, from there I knew that to get 10 laps out of this was borderline but also knew that Phil going heavy early was going to be very hard to beat. Matthew and I were going pretty much qualy laps in formation I had a bit of a crack at a pass early and saw it wasnt going to happen and I really had no pace advantage. So I tried to save fuel for a couple laps then mount an attack before the stop, I noticed Matthew left his fuel saving to the last couple of laps and he backed off quite a bit. I had a couple looks at the pass but couldnt get it done anyway. We entered the pits together but not quite inside each other this time, I put in 98 litres and he did 110 so that was about 6.5 seconds I gained on the stop.

Unfortunately that ended our battle but then I saw Phil was going to have about 25 seconds advantage on his stop I was 20 seconds ahead before my stop and so figured it would be real close. I just went qualy laps to the end hoping it would be enough, was qualy laps from lap one other then 2 or 3 laps shifting up a touch earlier to save some fuel. I saw Phil made his stop and was amazed to see him just leaving pitlane as I passed so thanks to going 290kmh vs 100 it was a fairly easy pass. Then I saw Matthew put in some cracker laps and I wanted to try get fastest lap to finish the season and went as hard as I could the last few laps to just sneak it in.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:07:57 PM »
As well as the season stats I posted in the first post, there's a few changes in the all time stats as well.

Marty has now had the most podiums, overtaking Guybrush, and Matthew has drawn level with Bacchulum for Most Consistent.
Racers with over 100 Tuesday night races:

Wally   165
Freezer   159
Marty   144
Rob   141
Bacchulum   139
Phil.8   133
Matthew111   128
Standaam   128
Bird   114
Guybrush Threepwood   109
Vipergod   103
Grubbet   100
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:16:05 PM »
Race 1 wasn't the greatest, since I was on hard tyres and a full tank, thinking incorrectly that the softs wouldn't last to lap 14, where I did a quick stop for 4 laps fuel and new softs. The car felt very hard to pull up, and I kept locking the brakes. I also had the monitor go black for a couple of seconds, where luckily I could just run off the track at turn 1 without hitting anyone.

Race 2 on softs was much better. I also took a little camber off all round, and the car felt like it pulled up a lot better. I had some great racing with Joe and Hylas. Hylas was on a slightly longer 1st stint with me pitting one lap before him, and when I came out of my stop I was right on his hammer which was great. I managed a pass, but then on the final lap I hit one of those little sausage kerb bumps at turn 1 which launched my car a bit and unsettled it enough to let both Hylas and Bacchulum past, losing me a 5th place.

How many people did we loose while I was away? We were a 20+ grid back then with people in reserve  :o
We lost a few for whom the open wheelers ended up not being their cup of tea. Grat is away.

The lotus seemed to be a lot faster than usual or was us Ferrari's (excluding Phil) just slow?
I think the Ferraris were just suffering from heavy fuel loads.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »
Race 1: got away to a good start and ended up getting to 3rd but then a dodgy down change at T1 saw me run wide and drop 6 spots.  I gained a couple of spots back over the next laps.  Pitted at lap 9 but my pit app had two stops recorded (1) Full tank, (2) 15L.  Little did I know that was on the 2nd option and so on stopping I came out with no new tyres and minimal fuel requiring the whole thing to be done again.
This basically cost me any chance of a good result. . .
Race 2: bogged it a bit off the line dropping a spot to 4th.  Didn't really see to many people this race.  Mael was behind in the Ferrari which I now understood I had to be well ahead of to have a chance due to the fuel difference.  I pushed out a reasonable gap but not nearly enough and ended up coming home 8th after the stops all played out.
Unfortunately my pitconfig stuff up possibly saw me drop to 5th on the ladder behind Mael who I found myself having a lot of good battles with over the season but all in all a good result. 

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »
The Ferrari did have the edge here thanks to fuel stops being much longer, the Lotus had 1 option and that was fill it up with its 120l max and go to lap 10 if you could or stop at lap 9. Then if you made it to 10 could add 8 laps of fuel and go to the end. If you made 10 laps thats 12l per lap so you could add a minimum of 96 litres to just make the finish on fumes assuming you used no more fuel. I added 97 race one and I think 98 race 2 woth Matthew going 120 and 110 costing him a bit in the end.

The Ferrari used a bit more fuel per lap but also has a bigger tank of 200l, this meant the option was to start heavier and save time in the stop adding less fuel. Last nite Phil and I did some testing and found the difference was about 25 seconds in stopped time if Ferrari started with a full tank and added a min amount of fuel on the stop. This extra weight though wpuld cost nearly 2 seconds per lap over the full tank in the lotus in the first stint.

Lotus could just do 10 laps so this meant the strategy was about 5 seconds faster to that point for the Ferrari. After the Lotus stopped we are again running heavyier with around 100l vs maybe 60 in the ferrari. But fresh tyres vs used hard to say which was quicker at that point.

Ferrari could also have gone a bit more fuel and as long as it wouldadd less then 98l in the stop would have a quicker stop. So depending on how heavy it would start you could save some fuel at the stop and still possibly run longer. Net result still would favour the Ferrari if they could match the lotus for pace.

I think I couldnt have done race 2 much quicker with barely even a tiny error pushing close to maximum every lap just hoping to be close to Phil after his stop. He said he lost a bit of time near the end of his run so this meant I just edged him out of the pits.

This did make for some intersting racing but if the Ferrari guys had this for more races then they may have figured the optimal strategy and been even tougher to beat.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »
I think most guys did the same in the Ferrari, filled it up, ran to lap 14 or 15, then you only needed to top it up to 60l or so to get home.  Even that took a reasonable amount of time to refuel. Your Lotuses must have felt like an eternity.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
Your Lotuses must have felt like an eternity.

Yeah, got to check facebook and email, get a drink and go to the bathroom...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
I think most guys did the same in the Ferrari, filled it up, ran to lap 14 or 15, then you only needed to top it up to 60l or so to get home. Even that took a reasonable amount of time to refuel. Your Lotuses must have felt like an eternity.

My stop took nearly a minute and that was running maybe 2l more fuel then required for the full distance so that was cutting it very tight. Had I had any damage I probably would not have made it on fuel.  ;)

Here is a race 1 video, I added the pedals app but it doesnt show clutch use and so my roll forward makes no more sense in the video then it did to me.

My passes on Bacchulum and Mael were fairly late dives, but both of those I had no intention of really making a move until well into the brake zone when they gave left more then enough room to squeeze in. Bacchulum either ran wide or left too much room so I took the apex.

Mael eased off the brakes quite a lot too and so the apex was free and I took it. He did start to squeeze me though so I had to turn in tighter to avoid contact. I wonder if that would be a legal pass? I probably had 4 wheels off the track at 1 point but was forced off the road, the move was late by me but so was the squeeze.

Pass on Bacchulum was 21:30 and Mael 26:00

Most of my passes were simply not planning a move but the guy ahead missing the apex so I took it. Passing wasnt the easiest thing here but was doable just.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:42:43 PM by marty »

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
Mael eased off the brakes quite a lot too and so the apex was free and I took it. He did srart to squeeze me though so I had to turn in tighter to avoid contact. I wonder if that would be a legal pass? I probably had 4 wheels off the track at 1 point but was forced off the road, the move was late by me but so was the squeeze.

I tended to have a wide entry for that corner Marty and would have made the apex  :) But also knew you were coming up fast and aggressive so took a bit extra care to avoid any contact as you would have just driven past me down the main straight. So overall aggressive but fair.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
Mael eased off the brakes quite a lot too and so the apex was free and I took it. He did srart to squeeze me though so I had to turn in tighter to avoid contact. I wonder if that would be a legal pass? I probably had 4 wheels off the track at 1 point but was forced off the road, the move was late by me but so was the squeeze.

I tended to have a wide entry for that corner Marty and would have made the apex  :) But also knew you were coming up fast and aggressive so took a bit extra care to avoid any contact as you would have just driven past me down the main straight. So overall aggressive but fair.

Thats one thing in racing, the late apex very wide entry is not a good form of defence. My view if someone leaves a big enough space for me to safely take away their apex and not run wide leaving them room then they need to decide if they want to make contact or concede some space. If the guy inside takes a proper dive bomb hail Mary type move where they go inside with little to no hope of holding that inside line I dont think thats on. If contact is made by the inside car running wide or even running the car outside off the track then they are at fault, its hard to say if making a pass outside track limits is legit if the only reason the car goes outside the track limits is because they got squeezed and staying on track would cause a collision.

When racing for position as all those passes were then everyone is allowed some form of defence, the fact I am out of position is my fault not anyone elses so they have as much right to battle as anyone else. Some clearly conceded a little easier seeing its not a battle they would likely win especially early in the race. But come reverse grid racing everyone still has the right to the racing line but anyone passing or being passed should I think always either show early they plan to defend or leave room for overlapped cars. The guys behind though still need to respect others they are passing as people pushing through the pack is never a good thing and this will just make those starting at the front not want to continue racing if it means they keep getting forced off the road.

My proudest stat was only having 2 contacts all season and both in the 1 race with one very weird contact at pit exit. The other was just both of us making an error at the wrong time. A couple races I had to battle back through the field and had no contact in any of those so it would be interesting to see total collision counts for all also in the statistics. Maybe in the reverse grid racing have bonus points for anyone finishing a race with no contact.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »
Bacchulum either ran wide or left too much room so I took the apex.
You initially braked later than me and went into my blind spot, so I left the room.
I thought my race would be quicker if I kept to the line and tried to follow when you passed, rather than fight the inevitable. ;)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal