Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat

Author Topic: S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat  (Read 12375 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S14R6: Nürburgring Sprint GT Post-race Chat
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »
Pretty good night for me.
Qualified 4th which I was pretty happy with.
R1:  Got away cleanly but two laps in I hit the first concrete blob at the chicane which fired me over the second one and off into the grass.
Now down in 16th I spent the rest of the race chasing hard and was able to gain back 8 spots which were all very had fought and clean.
R2:  Starting in 9th I knew it would be more of the same and so push on I did.  I was gradually passing people or they were pitting and at one point was up to 4th.  After pitting on lap 10 I grabbed a couple more to come home in 5th.

Not many passing opportunities on this track so every spot was hard earnt but credit to all for good clean racing.

News Flash: Maki Engineering now putting serious pressure on Krahl Racing for the 3rd spot on the podium in the Teams Championship with two rounds to go...!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:07:52 AM by Freezer »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »

News Flash: Maki Engineering now putting serious pressure on Krahl Racing for the 3rd spot on the podium in the Teams Championship with two rounds to go...!
With Marty on his own now, DA Racing have a good shot at the team championship, but Struggle Street will make a late charge.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
Wally one thing I dont understand is how you calculate consistancy? I know it doesnt matter but how do I get 2.39 in race 2 when I the 1st 2 laps shouldnt be counted seeing there is a warmup lap and lap 2 is from a slower pace and will always be slower then normal race laps. The pit outlap and inlap should be discounted as these will clearly be slower then laps without a stop. That would mean in a simple way a rolling start race with 1 pit stop should take out the 4 slowest laps.

Beyond these 4 slow laps my worst race lap was 1:34.333 and best at 1:32.804 so a difference of 1.809 which is already less then the 2.39 I got that race.  ;) Each race this number makes no sense to me and isnt in any way relevant to the actual race laps. Possibly it could get a formul update.

The way the consistancy is then worded for example race 2 hylas 68% of laps within 1.2 seconds. If you discount the 4 slow laps this would be a race counting 15 laps. 68% of 15 is 10.2 laps in that race and my average gap would be around .3 if discounting the slowest and fastest 5 of thes 10 laps. Or if counting the 10 fastest laps it would be about .4. I have no odea where a figure of 2.39 can even come from lol.

Race 1 were I got a number of 1.04 with pretty similar to spread in laptimes, actually my times were less consistant as I got a bit faster at the end. Worst race lap 1:34.639 and best lap 1:32.580 so 2.059 between best and worst race laps. My average laps in the race were also less consistant then in race 2 yet the consistancy figure is 1.04.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
From memory, it discards the first slow lap and the pit stops, then calculates the standard deviation of the remaining laps. That's where the 68% comes from - 68% of values are within 1 standard deviation.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »
From memory, it discards the first slow lap and the pit stops, then calculates the standard deviation of the remaining laps. That's where the 68% comes from - 68% of values are within 1 standard deviation.

Seems to spit out random numbers for me not relevant to lap times at all though.  ;) If the difference between best and worst lap is quite a bit less then the figure it gives makes it seem to not be working properly.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »

Seems to spit out random numbers for me not relevant to lap times at all though.  ;) If the difference between best and worst lap is quite a bit less then the figure it gives makes it seem to not be working properly.
I had a look at this, and it's correct. It's a measure of spread - i.e. in race 2, most of your laps were within 2.39 seconds of your average. The smaller the number, the smaller the spread, implying more consistent lap times.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »

I had a look at this, and it's correct. It's a measure of spread - i.e. in race 2, most of your laps were within 2.39 seconds of your average. The smaller the number, the smaller the spread, implying more consistent lap times.

How does that work, here are the laps in race 2.

Lap 1 is the formation lap so should be excluded, lap 2 is from a slow start so really should also be excluded, Lap 3 was my pit in lap and lap 4 the pit outlap so counting any of these first 4 laps is pointless.

My worst actual race lap is lap 5 1:34.333 and best race lap is 1:32.804 so the difference between my best and worst race laps is 1.526 seconds yet it says my consistency is 2.39. What is the average lap time then and how is that calculated I would say my average lap in the race was around 1:33.3 as 11 of the 15 laps were within .2 of that. The best lap is .5 faster and the worst lap is 1 second slower but only 2 of 15 laps are more then .5 off 1:33.3 so I wonder how it can get a number such as 2.39 as thats .8 more then the gap between the best and worse lap.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:48:01 PM by marty »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 07:13:44 AM »
Lap 2 was a slow lap. You can't exclude it, because it's one of the reasons your consistency was lower than normal. You can't exactly exclude inconsistent laps when your calculating consistency!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »
Lap 2 is the race start so it will always be a slower lap for everyone especially those at the front of the grid. Those further back may be already at normal speed by the line but front row is only doing about 100.  :)Not that it really makes much difference but the stat is fairly pointless IMHO if it includes the first lap in lap and outlaps.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »
Unfortunately, so did Doobs, so I came out of pits on his rear bumper again, and it took me another 2or 3 laps to find a way past, with us criss crossing, getting alongside but not quite effecting the pass. It was good defensive driving by Doobs. But finally I passed him, then chased down Bafs then Seanus, and caught up to Bacchulum on the final lap just as Steven spun.

That was fun Wally. It was almost like NkPro (with you carrying 30kg :)).You were extremely unlucky pitting when you did, if you 'd stayed out another lap you would have been past me on the stop I reckon. I pitted to get out of the traffic and I didn't want you chasing me before my pitstop. I was really enjoying it until I started getting a bit too heavy footed and lit the rears a couple of times, which made me a bit scrappy. I was pretty happy with the night and was a little more competitive than I have been for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal