Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 4 thoughts

Author Topic: Season 4 thoughts  (Read 38825 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Season 4 thoughts
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
So how does it work with running custom skins in AC? From what i see you cant pick your skin when you join the room.

Powerful people, read Wally in this case, being admin can opt for the server to select random skins from those in the AC application, or if users are specifically named in the server, assign a skin to a user.
If there are individually created skins, they can be referenced too, but only those that have the new skins installed on their client, will see them.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
oh sweet cool might have to work on a skin :)
do you even motorsports?

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 12:31:53 PM »
oh sweet cool might have to work on a skin :)

Great idea, many of us here have individual skins for the Cobra Cup, and Dick created a set to distinguish the cars in Tuesday's last season by their capability... cool work.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
Fair point Marty. I was aiming for people having to put up with worn tyres at the end of a stint too, but we may still get that at the end of the race if people run the whole 45 mins on one set. It does give people that strategic choice.

I think best just to have a few people try it as you suggested and see what they think of it. I will put up a server with 4x wear and 3x fuel with long enough qualy time to run a few laps or people can vote in to a race which will be setup for around 45 min.

Be interesting to see what sort of strategy works for people and if they would simply be forced to run 2 stints on hards. Maybe 2x wear may give more options so maybe I can put up another with 2x wear to compare.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
I put up a couple server called XGN season 4 test, both at Silverstone factory Aids enabled. 120 min qualy session and 21 lap race so people can run some longer stints in qualy or do a race sim and 21 laps would roughly be about 45 min at race pace. 1 server is 4x tyre wear and 3x fuel the other 2x fuel and tyres.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
After doing a bit of testing on the 4x tyre wear and 3x fuel server I think its a little silly. Running gt2 all tyres fall off the cliff by lap 10 at Silverstone. Fuel wise you will get 12 to 13 laps so not much strategy either 2 stop splitting 3 even stints or 2 stops on harder tyres trying to hang on. If fuel was to be at 2x I dont think a full tank would quite make a 21 lap race at silverstone so youd either need to save fuel or stop could make it 2.1x and make sure of it.

In terms of tyres I think 100% gives you more options as even still the softest tyres only last a few laps. Upping tyre wear just takes the softer tyres out but even the harder tyres fall off the cliff so there isnt really any better option. I tried a 12 lap race with Guybrush me on hards him 1 stopping mediums with 3x fuel 4x tyres and he passed me on lap 11 and my tyres were at 88% front and rear having lost 9 seconds per lap. So I pretty much had no chance giving up 18 seconds the last 2 laps and the pit stop costing him 27 seconds. My last 6 laps would have lost more time then his stop.

At 100% wear youd still have options but could run softer tyres dealing with wear or run harder tyres that stay good all stint. Then GT3 cars have less tyre options then the gt2 so there may not even be a good tyre but I will give a gt3 go next on meds and hards.

I have made the second server 1x wear 2x fuel which I think would like be a more interesting option for a 45 min race for all cars.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
It's not "a little silly". I chose, and tested in all cars, that fuel rate to ensure that all cars will have to stop once, without some of the cars having to stop twice and being unfairly disadvantaged. The nature of all the tyres is that even when they have worn to their maximum, the cars are still quite drivable, as Simone attested to using the super softs. You lose a little lap time, you have to drive more carefully, simulating what drivers have to grapple with with worn rubber, and everyone will be in the same boat.

I agreed before that leaving tyre wear at 100% gives people more strategic tyre choices. But the fuel is 3x so all cars only have to stop once.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
I just ran a long stint on the server. Fuel was as predicted (Ferrari). Needed to change around lap 12 but can plan either earlier or later. Also, tires down to 88% but still drivable (Softs). Lost about 2-3 seconds a lap towards the end but still manageable. I was doing around 1:01 on Softs with Qual fuel load last night. Tonight this went to 1:03/4 with full fuel load then to 1:06 with no fuel and 90% tires.

I'll have to stick some driving notes on my windscreen to keep track!!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:42:11 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Aiman Haziq

• Karts are the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
1.07RC had adjusted BMW Z4 GT3 performance and Fuel for 458 GT2 and SLS GT3. see if it makes difference.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

1.07RC had adjusted BMW Z4 GT3 performance and Fuel for 458 GT2 and SLS GT3. see if it makes difference.
It gives me checksum errors on the 1.0.6RC servers if I select an updated car like Ferrari or Cobra.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »

Yeah, I saw that. In my testing, the Merc had significantly better mileage than the other cars. Hopefully that's brought it more in line with the other cars. The 458 was already much the same as the other cars. The 599x and Evora GX are still fuel misers though.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
Running softs at 4x is much quicker then hards at 4x in the gt2, when both are at 88% the softs are about 6 seconds a lap quicker and the hards maybe last a couple more laps before going off the cliff. Things may be different with no damage but Im not a big fan of exaggerated wear when there are already so many tyre choices with pros and cons to each at 100% wear. Fuel is good to set a figure that forces all cars to stop but would be nice if you could run a little more then half race distance on a tank. Around 80-90% on a full tank would give you option to vary strategy with a longer and shorter tint if wanted or even it out. At 3x you will need to stop close to half distance so limits options quite a bit I think.

Wouldnt see any point running the hards so excessive wear means your better off just running softs in gt2 and meds in gt3. There is no advantage in running harder tyres if they are slower to begin with and still go off the cliff getting much slower at the end. The softs in gt3 are useless as they are undriveable at under 80% by lap 4 and much slower then meds by the end of the outlap.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 07:09:34 AM »
There is a bit of variability in the fuel usage, so there's already a range of distances that each car can go. Most stops would be around about half way, but they won't all be exactly half way. You'll still have some choice about whether to pit earlier or later, which can be useful to either make use of clear track while you've got it, or get out of traffic. E.g. at Imola, the laps you can get out of one tank vary from 13 to 20 between the cars.

I'll just leave tyre wear normal, to give people more strategic tyre options.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
I think that'll be good for now, Guys, let's just have a few races and see how it pans out.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
How many cars are you testing with Marty? ???

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal