Xtreme Gaming Network

S12R4: Spa Pre-Race Chat (with optional CAR SWAP)

Author Topic: S12R4: Spa Pre-Race Chat (with optional CAR SWAP)  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S12R4: Spa Pre-Race Chat (with optional CAR SWAP)
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
2 x 14 laps.

Weather forecast (looking like 17 and light clouds).

This is the round where you can SWAP CARS if you want (at the cost of 12 championship points). Post your car swaps here if you want to swap to the other car.

For this round, the fuel multiplier will be 4.0x.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:43:06 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S12R4: Spa Pre-Race Chat (with optional CAR SWAP)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
Looks like there is a big strategy choice to be made this round, I only ran a few laps in the lotus and with my Misano setup I could only get 7.5 laps out of a full tank. So If I find some more grip and speed it will likely mean some fuel saving could be needed to simply make it with only 1 stop.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »
Looks like there is a big strategy choice to be made this round, I only ran a few laps in the lotus and with my Misano setup I could only get 7.5 laps out of a full tank. So If I find some more grip and speed it will likely mean some fuel saving could be needed to simply make it with only 1 stop.
Of you could change to the Ferrari with its bigger fuel tank ;)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:21 PM »
If there was no points penalty I may but its been hard work getting those points.  ;D

I did run 7 laps and ran out at les combes so should be ok as long as there is no aero damage. That can raise fuel burn and so may force a 2 stopper for anyone in a lotus.

Looking at RSR the Ferrari is 1 second faster here but RSR really doesnt mean much seeing as I would have got the WR in the lotus with not optimal settings and a bit of fuel and fairly high aero. Im sure the ferrari time could also be knocked down a bit but the lotus guys probably will need to squeeze a bit more out of it to keep up with the ferrari here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:34:51 PM by marty »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 11:51:04 PM »
Here is the server times on the usual link, I will try lower aero another day but I think in the lotus at least it needs a bit of aero still. Eau Rogue and Blonchimont are far from flat even needing to brake at Eau Rogue. I really cant see me running much less aero as it will only make those corners slower and in the end give less top speed, the only time less aero really works at this track is if you can take both of those flat at lower settings where it will actually give you a top speed boost.

http://52.62.170.191:50041/lapstat?currservers=acserver

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »
That's a great time Marty. I see the track temp is 27. Race night will most likely be light clouds, which will make the track temp considerably cooler, more like 15 degrees.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »
I thought I set light clouds but possibly not so will check later and change that if it isnt.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
[youtube]
K2cNqaPSHv0
[/youtube]

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
I thought I set light clouds but possibly not so will check later and change that if it isnt.
Maybe stracker is just reporting the track temp incorrectly too.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 01:26:32 PM »
Maybe stracker is just reporting the track temp incorrectly too.

I just checked and using the acServerManager this is the weather it gives base road temp of 10 . So this means 10 degrees above ambient I think. I have disable ambient variation and road variation but can change this to whatever you set by default.

In the manager it has Realistic road temp as +5 for clear, -1 heavy Clouds, -2 Heavy fog, -1 light clouds, -2 heavy Fog, +5 Mid clear, and -1 Mid clouds. This setting can not be changed in the manager but possibly can be if done manually but its fairly simple to understand as it gets ambient temp + base road temp taking into account realistic road temp and any random variation that may be enabled.

Stracker seems to always show correct server settings and readings, unlike RSR which never did and current build doesnt show any settings at all making it fairly useless. These cars seem to get more speed in cooler ambient temps and so if someone really wanted to they could set very low ambient and higher road temps and be much quicker. That is why I would not pay much attention to any RSR times atm even though all times I have set in it have been rsr pro 26/36 100% grip. ;)

Also that speed comparison is showing f1 vs random trackday cars not gt cars as in the title. I find it quite interesting that the cars we are running atm are very similar in laptimes to the gt3 cars but done fairly differently. Top speeds are a bit higher in these f1 cars but gt3 cars have a fair bit more cornering speed.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
I manually set the realistic base road temp to whatever the AC manager recommends for a given weather (and time). So in this case, I would set ambient to 17 and base road temp to -1, giving a track temp of 16.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:47:27 PM »
Having a play in the manager I noticed now that time of day will alter the realistic road temp, Base road Ambient seems to default at 7 and Ambient/Road Variation is by default at 2.

Does that mean that you have base road temp at 0 ? and do you have the randomness in there or do you keep it fixed at 0 to set the temps you want. That would get you the 16 as it would simply calculate Base Ambient and realistic road of -1, then take into account any randomness in the variation figures. I assume they default Base Road Temp at 7 because it will generally be warmer then ambient in the daytime for the road surface.

I cant see how light cloud would actually cool the road below ambient temp during the day unless it was very windy, but whatever you want to set the temps at I will put on the prac server so people can at least get a reasonable idea of where it will be on the night.

Edit again I have adjusted the server to where it should be 17/16 with Base road temp 0 ambient 17 and realistic road -1 but can change if needed fairly easily.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:31:01 PM by marty »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
Seems the realistic road variaton does nothing and its as you had it Wally needing to actually adjust the base road ambient to also -1 to get the temps. I thought the realistic road setting was applied automatically but I hadnt actually checked the ini file so assumed wrongly.

[WEATHER_0]
GRAPHICS=5_light_clouds
BASE_TEMPERATURE_AMBIENT=17
BASE_TEMPERATURE_ROAD=-1
VARIATION_AMBIENT=0
VARIATION_ROAD=0

I did try some laps with this but also managed to get much lower track grip, I had issues getting front tyre temps up but some adjustments and this helped. I was only 1 second slower with 2.2% lower grip levels so possibly actually 1 second faster even if much more slippery, the more worrying thing is that even at this grip level my fuel useage went up and a full tank gets me 7.2 laps so with more grip I dont think pushing will make it on a 1 stop in the lotus. On the race nites though track grip starts lower and so early laps are a bit slower saving some fuel simply down to less grip needing to wait a bit longer for throttle on exit.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:25:31 PM »
Wally: I have been testing a little and I did not manage to do 7 laps. It might be my driving style is not the right one (as Marty said he could do 7 laps), but usually I consume a bit more when I get into the right pace. the best I could do was 6 laps plus until almost the last chicane.

If I remember correctly, you wanted extra fuel consumption only to make sure we had to do a pit stop. Perhaps then we might reduce it a bit to make sure it is not just a night praying it is going to be enough fuel to finish.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
Wally: I have been testing a little and I did not manage to do 7 laps. It might be my driving style is not the right one (as Marty said he could do 7 laps), but usually I consume a bit more when I get into the right pace. the best I could do was 6 laps plus until almost the last chicane.

If I remember correctly, you wanted extra fuel consumption only to make sure we had to do a pit stop. Perhaps then we might reduce it a bit to make sure it is not just a night praying it is going to be enough fuel to finish.

Yes, I'll check it later. You shouldn't have to do more than one stop.

I wonder how much difference the air temperature makes to fuel consumption now?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal