Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Monza Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Monza Race Chat  (Read 100326 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Monza Race Chat
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
I was reading the in-game help for the diff earlier, wanting more oversteer under power, and I think it said a higher power lock aids oversteer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:18:04 PM by Bird »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2014, 11:18:30 PM »
I was reading the in-game help for the diff earlier, wanting more oversteer under power, and I think it said a higher power lock aids oversteer.

(...sorry I've edited your post by accident again.)

As far as I know the exact opposite is true...easy to test. :)  Be careful, you can (and will) get snap-oversteer if overdone.  I think it's very nice to test it in the tatuus.

But here's some in-depth info :D
http://www.intothered.dk/simracing/differential.html

As I recall the 0 is the open diff, and 100% is the "live rear axle" (fully locked) situation.   If that's true, then less=oversteer more=understeer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:26:13 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
An interesting article. I have seen that one before. It does contradict the game help. But a lot of that help says things like "Popular belief says softer is more grip, but that is not always true" etc. etc. I think they're trying to rewrite the book in some areas. But the real world is the real world. The key thing is to just try it, like you say.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
so many settings really scare a noob like me.
There is no gentle way into learning settings either it seems. All very intricate and cause changes in the car I have no idea about.
Still grasping the basics with under/over-steer.

I know I can do more damage than help by touching my set-up settings. I just sit back and listen to you guys and hope to learn something.

eg, One thing I do notice my car doing..
If my car seems to be sliding out, when I power out of corners, is it me too hard on the gas? Or as Bird was trying to explain to me the other week, I should be adjusting my Diff? A bit of both?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
A bit of both. Try increasing your power diff a couple of clicks, and see if it makes any difference.
You might also need a softer back end, working on the softer =more grip principle. You could try reducing the rear wheel rate ( spring stiffness) a little. But try the diff first.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd touch the springs - it'll make the whole car behave differently.  And I don't mean just the general understeer, I mean you need to potentially re-adjust ride height, dampers, brakes...I'd rather just change the rollbar, it won't mess with the suspension.  (softer=more grip is the base rule, still)

Altho, you learn a lot by trying and doing, really :)

One very important rule of setup;  unless you know very well what you're doing (even then) they recommend changing one, and only one thing at a time.  However small that may look to be, if you just change tyre pressures, then do it, and then go out and have a few laps, see how things work. 
Change multiple things and you'll never know what worked and what hasn't.
It takes a lot of time to create good setups, yes, you've guessed right :D

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
Thanks guys..... I think. :D

I guess this is also why it's impossible to find a Darren Marsh set up anywhere?

But you know. We are just mere mortals.

"There is fast... Then there is Darren Marsh" -Dick Forrest.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »
And another thing as that there's no "silver bullet" setup either. You have to find the right setup that suits the way you drive the car. Even if you got Darren's setup, it wouldn't necessarily magically make you much quicker.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
And another thing as that there's no "silver bullet" setup either. You have to find the right setup that suits the way you drive the car. Even if you got Darren's setup, it wouldn't necessarily magically make you much quicker.

But... It's pretty clear to me Darren IS using magic..

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
On TS last race I remember hearing a few people mention defending and how some just let others pass.

What's everyone thoughts about defending a position? I'm new to league racing and I don't know if there's some unspoken rule about letting people pass.

Is it OK to defend a position where it's safe to do so?

I think the F1 rule where you can make one defending move is OK but not weave from side to side but I just don't know what is acceptable?
I understand once the cars are side by side you make room but up until that point what's OK and what's NOT OK?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
Definitely no waving.   The old rule was that one change of direction is allowed going towards a corner.  (i.e. you can chose to take the inside line if you were on the outside, and that's it)

Just between us, if someone is quick enough to get alongside of you without you making a mistake - and without bump drafting! - then they're better let through.   For both of the parties.  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:33:35 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
Definitely no waving.   The old rule was that one change of direction is allowed going towards a corner.  (i.e. you can chose to take the inside line if you were on the outside, and that's it)

Just between us, if someone is quick enough to get alongside of you without you making a mistake - and without bump drafting! - then they're better let through.   For both of the parties.  :)

Don't expect me to give up last place without a fight! :o

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »
What Bird said.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
On TS last race I remember hearing a few people mention defending and how some just let others pass.

What's everyone thoughts about defending a position? I'm new to league racing and I don't know if there's some unspoken rule about letting people pass.

Is it OK to defend a position where it's safe to do so?

I think the F1 rule where you can make one defending move is OK but not weave from side to side but I just don't know what is acceptable?
I understand once the cars are side by side you make room but up until that point what's OK and what's NOT OK?

When battling for position some defense is fine within the general no waving and only one move leaving enough racing room for anyone that has got alongside inside or outside. If being lapped there should be no defense and just hold a line or make it clear where your going to let the leaders through. No blue flags makes it quite hard atm and why I was calling out where I was going when lapping most people. Especially in the DTM vs GRP A cars you can catch them before they even realize your there so calling inside or outside is not a bad thing for lapping people.

When going for position its a straight out battle but driving defensive will slow you both down and a quicker driver will find a way past a slower guy defending easy enough. Mostly just avoid cutting across people or running them off the road, if you know someone is on your inside or outside and you haven't cleared them in the apex make sure to leave enough room for one car on whichever side they are on to avoid incidents.

I may generally defend position into t1 if in pole and get a good jump I will go the inside line and just hold that then once clear will drive a regular line trying to get rid of anyone behind rather then defending and losing time. If your quick enough on a good line with no mistakes in even cars and no draft its pretty hard to make a pass atm in AC so just putting your head down and running good lines is normally the best for of defense.

Also last lap if its very close I may defend my position a bit more or even in any corner if I know Ive had a bad exit and someone will make a run. Basically show them where your going early and make them find a way around generaly on the outside where they will need to do something special to get by.  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
For me the golden rule is to give a car widths room to the edge of the track on the side you think your opponent might be.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal