Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 2: Imola Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 2: Imola Race Chat  (Read 72803 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Round 2: Imola Race Chat
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
Race 2 should and would have been closer, Marty, but I've made a large amount of mistakes.  I should have been lapping in the low 46's but I've messed up nearly every other lap.   If it would have been like that, maybe I could have capitalised on your bottomings-out, too.   But you're way too fast, congrats.  I had a higher df setup, which served me well otherwise, but it prevented me overtaking you when you made that mistake.   Probably good as it is, I was too tired for a closer racing...altho maybe that was all I needed to keep more alert, who knows? ;)

It's a bit of a shame that I wasn't able to compete in race 1 at all I felt somewhat gutted.   But that's life.

Still, it was the weirdest thing I've ever seen, I could not join the server nor the TS as I've mentioned, but everything else seemed to be working...I've restarted the computer, restarted the modem, and it did not fix anything; it was as if my routing to these servers was completely borked - which is really weird in the case of the race server, as it's sitting in the Equinix datacenter I had (and always have) access to, otherwise.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
No need to feel like a thief Glen if you do it fair and square. You know there's more to racing than just speed.  I'm not the fastest guy, but can usually keep it consistent and stay out of trouble.

I then noticed the lap times in race 2 by Gorgak who was actually my team mate for the race. But seeing a best lap of 1:43.107 made me check the replay and as I suspected he is straight cutting the chicane which just isnt how you should drive in the league I think and they dont look like accidents in any way. At least 3 times in 14 laps too that I noticed but I didnt watch his full race.

I haven't seen the replay (I've got it) but I'll look into it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2014, 09:24:06 AM »
I had a very bad night. Though I sure had plenty of laughs at all the carnage going on pretty constantly in front of me. Alas I am not at all confident or fast at Imola to take advantage of peoples mistakes for long.
  Mainly, I've had this half-flu (or maybe a mild case of Ebola) for about a week now and I had a ripper headache last night. I tried to persevere but looking hard at apexes soon did my head in. I would have probably tried a lot harder on a 'easier' track.

Compared to Silverstone, There was a lot more carnage and driver error this round. I blame Marty's ping and Imola just being a bitch!

PS. I still believe Gratulin won that 1st race fair and square.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:32:02 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Mopz

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
Race 1 for me was fairly incident free, my goal was just to get it across the line so did not push to keep up with Marty for to long.

Race 2 started well, took a hit from behind (Insomniac?) which pushed me wide, car caught the edge of the track and spun whilst trying to reenter the track. Pretty sure I took quite a few out for which I do apologize. Never a good thing ruining races for others, I will take the experience and learn from it. Managed to have some fun in the top ten, I think Grubbet and myself passed each other about 4-5 times. Good clean battles from my visor at least.

I did really enjoy the dynamic track effects, especially on cold hard tyres. Really added a new element to it, my hand is up for more of this.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
Congrats Marty and podium getters!

I was never comfortable with my set because I downloaded and based it off the wrong RSR setup lol

Anyway quickly put together a butchered set in practice with medium downforce so as not to lose too much on the straight but to get around the corners comfortably for the race. It felt good.

Qual 1: Chucked the softs on to try to get some extra speed and it worked well, this long session was good for others and I ended up in 9th spot behind Wally, happy with that as I knew I could be consistent with my safe race set.

Race 1: Start was a bit of a shambles with Wally and I coming together at the start due to the car infront not starting. But I put my head down and churned out some good laps gaining a few spots upto 8th, but then a mistake or two saw me lose a couple positions and I just couldn't get past Glen being super cautious just to finish the race but put a bit of pressure on to try and force a mistake.

Qual 2: I learnt from previous races that you need to be on the server and getting those laps in because time is precious. I was pretty much the first one on the server and out on the track coming around for my flyer when others were exiting the pits. Got blocked by someone who had just left the pits on the straight and coming up to the first corner so that lap was ruined. Was running very low fuel and softs to get the advantage so had to pit and start again. Luckily the next lap was good enough to get 2nd, there was no way I was going to beat Marty and his low 1.45 lol

Race 2: Had a really weird start, the car seemed to bog down even though I was holding it to the floor. This gave Bird the opportunity to get past and Mopz was fast approaching. The track was slipperier than I remembered so a few mistake saw Mopz get past me as well until I misjudged his braking spot at Acque Minerali locked em up and went into the back of him, sorry again mate. I wasn't expecting you on the brakes so soon. You had better pace than me and my goal was to try to stick with you. After that it was great racing coming from 18th to 8th. Had some great luck at Tosa sneaking past about 3-4 cars on the inside as they battled it out amongst themselves,. but ended up making a mistake and finishing 10th.

Overall a great nights racing, really good fun, looking forward to Mugello and those curbs!

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »

I feel very hard done by! Given the effort I put into coming up with the superior pit stop strategy (ie forgetting to put fuel in the car!) I would have expected my race "win" to be upheld by the steward (s?). I also tried to hide the fact that I had pitted by disabling my teamspeak during the race :(
PS. Fully concur with Wally's ruling to not re-join after pitting. I should have retired last night after running out of fuel but was keen to finish the race even if in last place.
PPS. I was really happy in Race 2 to be able to complete the race mid-pack on a track like Imola. Really loving AC and the series :)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:51 AM »

I feel very hard done by! Given the effort I put into coming up with the superior pit stop strategy (ie forgetting to put fuel in the car!) I would have expected my race "win" to be upheld by the steward (s?). I also tried to hide the fact that I had pitted by disabling my teamspeak during the race :(
PS. Fully concur with Wally's ruling to not re-join after pitting. I should have retired last night after running out of fuel but was keen to finish the race even if in last place.
PPS. I was really happy in Race 2 to be able to complete the race mid-pack on a track like Imola. Really loving AC and the series :)

you where robbed! Maybe the 20 second lead made it look a bit suspicious though.

I think the bug is happening on the tracks where the pits are after the start / finish line.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

The pit bug is a strange one as in most tracks I found that I lost my last lap but if your pit spot is either behind or in front of the line (not sure exactly which it is) you will gain a lap. I found it quite funny getting a good start from pole and putting in pretty good consistant laps in race 1. At one point I dropped to 2nd then to 3rd but I passed somebody to get back into 2nd, even though this entire time nobody passed me I was just losing spots.  ;D

Here are the replays from both races for anyone that didn't save them.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l95x1y9hhrrzmme/Imola+tatuus+race+1+XGN.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/o3t3onuv6384yty/Imola+Tatuus+race+2+XGN.rar

I think the next round I wont have any advantage, but I need to find my old setup as its a bit quicker then I managed last nite with Mopz who did have the pace on me by a bit. I think all others will be a bit closer there and Guybrush maybe Darren (if rift gets a fix) will find a second on even the next quickest somehow as I was still nearly 3 seconds off the WR pace in the first test and .5 off Mopz.

Here is a screen from my first bottom out at Aqua Minerali, surprisingly its hard to make the corner when the wheels arent on the ground.

I am uploading a video of this and also Gorgak bypassing the chicane completely on laps 8 through 12 in race 2.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:02:17 PM by marty »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2014, 12:10:42 PM »
Here is Gorgak on laps 8 through 11  ???

[youtube]vmsQP69p0Fg[/youtube]

Here is my first bottom out on Aqua Minerali on lap 8, Same setup and line used all through practice qualy and race 1 without issue. I do go flat through this corner normally but the next few laps I lifted a little avoid it. Was using more throttle each lap and went for a faster final lap with delta of a high 1:44 to this point only for it to happen again.

[youtube]HSykDcliJW8[/youtube]

edit: Both videos are up now
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:03:30 PM by marty »

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
Enjoyed last night. Quiet first race taking it steady. Finished well enough but can't remember where!
Second race i had a major off after passing bacculum. He complimented me so I repaid the favour by binning it nicely in front of him. I made a point to return cleanly after the previous carnage but it was pretty much all over after that. Overdriving to catchup forced more mistakes. Learned a lot though :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
Wow.  Those cuts are not accidental.
It's amazing for me that someone would want to race in a league and would do this. 
I'm at a loss of words right now.   The immaturity of this behaviour is astounding.

Online Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
It's amazing for me that someone would want to race in a league and would do this. 
I'm at a loss of words right now.   The immaturity of this behaviour is astounding.
Don't jump the gun. I'll talk to him.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »

Steering & brake failure? :)  I can't see any reasonable explanation otherwise. 
But it's your league, so I'll just pull my neck in ;)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »

+1 Wally. It maybe his first league run ever and may not know what is and isn't except able.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »

Here is my first bottom out on Aqua Minerali on lap 8, Same setup and line used all through practice qualy and race 1 without issue. I do go flat through this corner normally but the next few laps I lifted a little avoid it. Was using more throttle each lap and went for a faster final lap with delta of a high 1:44 to this point only for it to happen again.
I was following Vipergood in R2 when at the same spot he suddenly was kicked right onto the infield...!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal