Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat  (Read 20700 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Penalties
Race 1, me getting sandwiched was my own fault, really. I was drifting over to the T1 apex and got squeezed between Bacchulum and Rob LTD, and in the pinballing, I spun off while everyone else drove away. Because I was the only one disadvantaged, no penalty.

Then Insomniac got into the rear corner of Rob for a while, but looking in cockpit view, it may have been that he didn't even realise he was touching Rob, as the pack was tight. But that spun Rob. I'm calling that a hard to avoid incident.

Hornbag lost control at T9, not braking in time to avoid hitting slideways, so because of the clear loss of control, that's a penalty.

Race 2, At T1, Freezer hit the back of Rob LTD - penalty.
at T7, Bacchulum hit the back of Wally - penalty.
Lap 2 (where I'm not officially looking for penalties), Insomniac got into the back of Humper pretty hard at T1, and should have shown more care.

Race 3, At T1, Mitchyy hit the back of Grat - penalty.
At T5, Ben hit the back of Rob LTD - penalty.

There were a lot of rear impact penalties here - which shows that people have to take a little more care braking behind someone into a corner, particularly with reverse grids.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood    74
Ben    62
Mitchyy    62
Marty    56
Matthew111    55
Rob LTD    54
Grat    52
Jeremy    50
Bacchulum    47
Freezer    47
Phil.8    45
Mael    43
Joe    39
Wally    34
Bafs17    29
Insomniac    25
Rob    25
slideways    23
Humper    23
Hornbag    17
Flattop    14

Congratulations to Guybrush on two race wins and the round win in a dominant display, and to Marty for the narrow race 3 win.

Season Podium
1. Matthew, 256
2. Jeremy, 243
3. Marty, 237 (moving back up from 4th position).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:17:33 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S13R5: Baskerville Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
Well what sounded like a bad night for some was the best night I've had all season.

I've found some okay pace in the Skyline; the RX-7 and I did not get along!

R1 going okay in 4th, Bafs lost his backend trough T1 on about lap 4 and in trying to avoid him I want onto the grass at T2 which is terrible place to go off. After that was down a few places. Got back to around 9th I think, then on lap 15 Bacculum went a little wide on T2, I eased off the throttle and got a tiny tap from Matthew which unfortunatly spun me around. He was nice enough to redress and I only lost a few positions finishing around 11th I think.

R2 was also good, held my pace and spent most of the race between Matthew and Freezer finishing somewhere in the top 10, maybe 8th or something.

R3 was doing well again, but half way through the race turned in too early on that blind uphill left, hit the curb which launched me into the air and off the track. Rejoined, but due to being at a different speed to normal into the next sweeping left I missed my turn in and went sailing into the grass. I just dropped off the edge where you can rejoin the track so that was my race over.

Seems I have more confidence now in race situations, so I will sit peoples tail, or fight more to keep position. In the past I was never confident in my ability to control the car enough to do either of those things.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »
Race 1 good
Race 2 dodgem cars
Race 3 missed start
= Dropped round  :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »
Oh, guys... that was a very very strange night. I thought I would have been slightly more aggressive, as it worked well in Imola while being cautious worked disastrously in the earlier rounds (specifically: braking too early first corners had others bump into me). But I fear this was not the right track and I probably need to apologize to two or three of you guys. Sorry.

I do not have the time for a full recap (flying to Melbourne early morning) but I can say I was really surprised by my pace. With a bit of luck, I could have fought for 1st in race 1 and a podium in the other two races. I thought I would have been slow, but this skyline car is actually really good in race, as it is so much more stable than the rx-7 (which was fun and fast in quali, but hard to race).

Anyway: all in all, I think I had my fair share of fun tonight. A bit lucky first 2 corners of race 1, super-unlucky the last corner of that same lap (I had a great first lap, but someone spun in front of me, there was a crash, and I had nowhere to go :(). Race 2 was a mess, but lots of fun... last by 10 seconds after a few corners, ended up 8th, which is not too bad. Race 3... well, I had a good start but got spun from behind (I think) at turn 1... then I f*ed it up myself after a few laps.

Cheers and see you next week!!!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
Race 1 good
Race 2 dodgem cars
Race 3 missed start
= Dropped round  :)

Race 1 dodgem cars
Race 2 more dodgem cars
Race 3 actual race

First couple of races seemed the sheep stations were up for grabs early, I just tried to stay out of most of the crap and kind of did. Worked my way through a few banged up cars at the end.

Race 2 dodging cars all over the place first 2 or 3 laps. Then I got a tag team push out wide by one car and finished off while outside minding my own business by another that had 80 percent of the track but wanted that last bit out wide I was on lol. Facing the wrong way and had to wait for the field  to pass before resuming in last place and picked my way through some to finish in the middle.

Race 3 more dodgem cars up front early and Guybrush pulling over meant I got near the front early. A few nice battles to get to the lead then had Guybrush to hold off for the last 4 laps. He didnt really force the issue and I just tried to hit apexes to get a run out of the turns which was just enough, any more laps he would have found a way past or ran out of patience.

The racing was rather messy but its a track that was not easy to pass on, some guys just wanted the sheep stations more then others it seems. Next round should be a bit more of an open circuit so it should give people a bit more room to play with.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »
Well there was a tonne of contacts tonight but luckily virtually none involved me.  I could get the award for avoiding them though as I repeatedly dived through gaps as people spun.  Aside from that I had a lot of pressure racing with Joe, Mathew, Bacculum etc etc. 
The 370z seems to have better mid corner speed so I had to make sure my corners were precise to hold off the speed of the RX7/Skyline's.  The RX7's seem to be dancing all over the place.  Only made two little slips all night and ended up with some respectable results.
Fun night...!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »
Results in the first post.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline trackmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:34:40 AM »
Rob, looks like you took the brunt of some incidents. Sorry for my tap in race 3. I got some taps in the other races going off track but someone kindly let me retake the position which I thought was great racer integrity there. Never raced the 370z before I still prefer the Rx7 but I got it moving reasonable smoothly around the track. I really didn't expect to get a couple second places thinking id be swamped by cars and hold up the pack. Was a pleasant surprise to get a couple podiums :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:53:49 AM »
I quite like the 370z. It feels pretty balanced and you can get the power down fairly early without too much risk of losing the back end. I didn't really seem to suffer too much from cold tyres that others were talking about. This was the coldest race so far, weather wise, and I wonder if that caught some people out with changed handling causing more incidents this round.

Even though I came off the track a few times, I still had good racing, battling with quite a few different guys, even if i didn't finish in that good a position. Sorry for the hit Bruce. I was being pressured by someone closing in rapidly behind me, so was pushing, but couldn't pull it up in time before I tapped your bumper.

And P.S. I found the problem with the reverse grid server and fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:58:30 AM by Wally »

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 08:15:59 AM »
Another night to forget for me. Amazed I haven't dropped my rating over the last couple of meets. ;D Forgot to save race 1 replay and slowly trolling through race 2. So far I owe Phil an apology for squeezing him on exit at turn 6 causing him to go onto the grass. :-\ :-[  Sorry mate.
Prob got a few more to find yet. Will get back to the replay later on.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:53 AM »
Well with the server issues I got to race my newly painted Supra... ahhh why am I the only one in a Supra?
Need to get the thing to turn in, when I followed the braking and lines with some of you, the exit speed difference is, as always, much better, if I push harder I start loosing traction and unlike Marty when he does, he goes fast, I just languish!

Race 1: kept my lines for but finished with out do or receiving any harm, those blind turns are "virtually scary".
Race 2: lost control on turn 2 heading into the left hander and biffed Joe, sorry, consequently caused Joe to hit me, putting me into the path of the others, sorry!   And no problems Wally for the tap.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
Race 1 was chaos but ended up at the back mostly from my own mistakes. From there made decent headway until I got to Wally. Just could not figure a way past until after the flag had dropped, fun.

Race 2 was better as I managed to get through a couple of gaps between spinning cars to finish in the front half of the field. This meant a bit of clear air for race 3 and a solid result (for me in any case).

Hey Bruce try a bit of negative front toe for the Supra, made the car's turn-in better for me.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »
Race 2: lost control on turn 2 heading into the left hander and biffed Joe, sorry

No worries Bruce. I forgot that even happened when i did my writeup :)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:47 AM »
Hey Bruce try a bit of negative front toe for the Supra, made the car's turn-in better for me.
Thanks Mael, will dial it in!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »
Bruce I think you will enjoy the Supra at Silverstone, I havent tested any of the cars there but I would think its not a track that will be great in the gtr. Fairly long straights and the corners arent that slow onto them so the RWD cars with higher top speeds should have an edge. Any track with some decent straights and not too many slow tight corners suit the supra quite best.

The low temps at Baskerville meant the rwd cars all struggled for front tyre temps. I ended up going maximum front toe in which helped keep some heat in the front tyres and also let it turn in a bit better. This meant it could easily get silly loose at the apex if overdriven but still mich better then getting understeer.

Here is a video from race 3, I was going to make one from race 2 but it looked like a general pub server race at the start from my vantage point, so I picked the one with some better and clean racing apart from the dodgem cars at the front on lap 1.

There I did run into the back of Joe lap 1 t2, he just slowed much more the I thought he would relative to the field but still my fault for running into him. I had a couple contacts with Jeremy somewhere too but you can see we were real close and any contact was the lightest of rubs which you cant even see where they are in the video.

I find it funny how the same trick worked to make most of my passes, force people to defend the inside into t1 which will make them go wide into t2 and leave a nice big space.  :D Its the sort of stuff I like about racing others you need to get your car into a position to force them to choose a side to defend. If they go inside it means their exit will be compromised, if they dont cover the inside then id take it so its more choose which side you think you have more hope to defend on.

The the last 4 laps with Guybrush I knew even a tiny error would mean he would be past so I had to hit every apex and get good exits. Also some defence of the inside lane but not so much to give up the next exit. He had the clear pace advantage though so it was lucky there werent many more laps as he wpuld have fpund a way past soon enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal