Xtreme Gaming Network

S13R6: Silverstone International Race Chat

Author Topic: S13R6: Silverstone International Race Chat  (Read 17260 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S13R6: Silverstone International Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
Some good fun races here on Saturday night. Didn't get a chance for more practice last night, and won't tonight either but hopefully will run okay on Tuesday. Was in the low 1:18s at best.

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »
It might be an idea to stick me at the back of the grid here. I've had to abandon my sequential shifter in this car and have reverted to H-pattern. Haven't used it in so many years and I'm missing shifts all over the place atm and a fair bit off the pace.  :-[ ::) Can see me inadvertently causing grief amongst traffic so best to be safe.  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
The GTR isn't too bad around here.  Doesn't seem too much slower than the RX7, although on the straight you can see the tenth's of a second being lost on the delta.  The other cars seem to have the medium/high speed corners and top speed advantage.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »
It might be an idea to stick me at the back of the grid here. I've had to abandon my sequential shifter in this car and have reverted to H-pattern. Haven't used it in so many years and I'm missing shifts all over the place atm and a fair bit off the pace.  :-[ ::) Can see me inadvertently causing grief amongst traffic so best to be safe.  ;)
I can do that.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
Cheers mate, you don't want to be on my arse when I famously slip from 5th to 2nd. Not a pretty outcome.... ;D ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 05:44:01 PM »

If your struggling with the shifter I think best to just take a little more time on each shift, there really isn't a huge gain in nailing every shift to the limit. Missing 1 gear costs more then probably 50 perfect shifts will gain you. On Upshifts make sure to fully lift off throttle and also use clutch to make sure you find a gear, on downshifts avoid skipping gears and also dont shift too early. If you get a compression lockup on downshift the GTR will lock all 4 wheels and so get a massive 4 wheel under-steer on entry which isn't a good thing.

Not sure what wheel shifter your using, I have g27 and even though many say the shifter feels real bad but its actual travel range is near identical to a real r33 r34 skyline shifter. Actual feel obviously is a little different but the short travel in the g25/27 shifter would be pretty much identical I think.

What is it that was causing you issues with the paddles? if your trying to shift so early that downshift protection if that is a thing even on a manual car in sequential. Then your likely shifting down at too high rpm and you will need to delay the downshifts a bit more. This may mean you need to shift fairly late into turn in and so avoid compression lockup is even more critical.

It will take some time to get used to it especially if your not daily driving a manual trans car and dont use the shifter much in game either. Once you get the hang of it though its much more fun and also gives you much more control, I really hate those street cars without manual trans and slow sequential gearboxes, much more prefer driving anything I can with the shifter.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
It will take some time to get used to it especially if your not daily driving a manual trans car and dont use the shifter much in game either. Once you get the hang of it though its much more fun and also gives you much more control, I really hate those street cars without manual trans and slow sequential gearboxes, much more prefer driving anything I can with the shifter.

nailed it :thumbsup:

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »
One thing I've mentioned too is to change the range of travel of your clutch in the AC controller settings - i.e. move the max end of the travel half way back down the slider. A lot of fluffed gear changes are from not depressing the clutch enough, and if you lower the range of travel, you only have to dab the clutch pedal to get full engagement.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
One thing I've mentioned too is to change the range of travel of your clutch in the AC controller settings - i.e. move the max end of the travel half way back down the slider. A lot of fluffed gear changes are from not depressing the clutch enough, and if you lower the range of travel, you only have to dab the clutch pedal to get full engagement.

I got into a habit of making sure to press clutch to the floor both in my real car and in game if I want a fast shift. Its easier to slam the clutch to the floor then kind of trying to guess if you have gone past the bite point or not. My car does have a rather long clutch travel with the bite point about 2/3 of the range, go a touch short and it sounds not good on a quick shift and can get that nasty grind plus back to neutral. Also how I killed a clutch once on track with just one bad upshift.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »

Not sure what wheel shifter your using, I have g27 and even though many say the shifter feels real bad but its actual travel range is near identical to a real r33 r34 skyline shifter. Actual feel obviously is a little different but the short travel in the g25/27 shifter would be pretty much identical I think.

gees how short are the throws on a r33 lol must of had a short shifter!!!

do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
When I jump into some other cars they feel like trucks having to move the shifter so far. :)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
My primary car for almost a decade was a Lada Niva, A day driving it in the city felt like going to the gym between the long heavy gear-shifts and the lack of power steering.  ;D 

The feel on the shifter was great, you could almost feel the gears meshing together!

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 07:31:10 PM »
LOL, ironically I don't drive IRL. Haven't for nearly 20 years so no chance of any practice there. I'll get used to it. Changed it to sequential many years ago when V8 Supercars did and that's pretty much all I raced then. Never got round to switching back.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »
After running quite a few (or heaps ;D) of laps racing a few guys here tonight I can see the main trouble corner will be the last chicane complex at Club. The fastest way around is braking quite early here then holding a tight inside line just missing the sausage curb, most of the slower guys are braking much deeper and so its quite likely they will rear end someone if they are following. If you try a move on the inside you will need to brake even harder to hold the very tight line with less track on entry. If you come in hot on the inside you will likely hit someone or run straight across the road.

Even on your own if you mess this and run deep you have compromised the next 2 right handers and all your speed on the main straight. Easy to lose .5 of a second by either missing the first apex or hitting the sausage curb.

The place I am seeing most lose heaps of time is at t1 Abbey. If you are too hot in there and miss the curb on apex then run wide of the exit curb, your going to run very wide at farm curve and then also be coming across the track into village corner. You want to hold a tight line around farm curve to be able to brake from the left into the village apex. If your still coming across from the right the corner is much tighter and you lose lots of speed here. The few car lengths gained by carrying more speed into t1 if you run wide is all thrown away plus more.

Onto hanger straight at becketts I assume as PLP and official track limits call the exit tarmac all valid track you can use all of that. Still the fastest way around the corner is braking early and taking some curb then straight line and on throttle towards the exit but not running too wide as that just scrubs speed.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:06 PM »
Here is a screen from Guyrbush after he kept trying to mount the sausage curbs, I guess he really likes them as he tried to mount them all for a few laps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal