Poll

Do you want to change the race format?

Yes
9 (69.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: August 16, 2016, 08:30:13 AM

Author Topic: Change format?  (Read 11480 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Change format?
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »
Passing people is fun. Being passed is not so fun. With the current format of all 3 races in reverse standings order, the slowest are always being passed and the fastest are having more fun.

Do you want to change the round format to have the first 2 races only in reverse standings order, and then the 3rd race in order of race 2 finish, to balance out the fun a bit more?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Change format?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:53:12 AM »
I think if the format was to change it would be better to have 1 regular qualy race followed by 2 reverse grid in season order. Giving a bit of both changing race 3 only in that way I think would just end up having more of a random mixed grid and not a proper reverse grid so I think not really making much difference so not really worth changing to that in my view.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »
I think what I'm proposing adds a little more intetest/pressure on race 2 to get a good result, as that's where you'll be starting the next race from.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
How about having races 1 and 3 as previously but for race 2 have a pressure filled short qualifying sessions?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
How about having races 1 and 3 as previously but for race 2 have a pressure filled short qualifying sessions?
Refer previous post :)

Offline slideways

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Gonna fence sit on this. Doesn't matter either way to me. They're either going to pass me getting to the front or when they are about to lap me.. ;D ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
I think what I'm proposing adds a little more intetest/pressure on race 2 to get a good result, as that's where you'll be starting the next race from.

If your starting near the back theres pressure on each race as it is to get a good result and avoid too much carnage. Being able to start further up race 3 would just make race 3 easier it would save some of the guys from being passed again. I really dont mind but thinking about it again its not too bad an idea as it changes the grid for 1 race at least.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
I tend to think that if you are going to have a reverse grid race that it should be  longer format to let people settle into their natural order and race those who are more closely match in terms of skill level.  I also think pitstops also mix the action up.

I would suggest qual + regular race 1 and then reverse championship order long race 2.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
If you decide to have a reverse grid race then I would appreciate it being the later raves so I can just run in the normal races and skip the reverse grid ones. I might give Tuesdays a go again if that happens.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
Everybody wants something different. I'm not putting up alternative format options; you can see that's a never ending spiral. The poll is the two options.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I'm going to sit on the fence also with this one.... can't remember the last time I overtook someone   ;D

Qualifying for each race does put you close to people with similar times as yours, hence someone to race against.

Cheers Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
I'm going to sit on the fence also with this one.... can't remember the last time I overtook someone   ;D

Qualifying for each race does put you close to people with similar times as yours, hence someone to race against.

Cheers Dave O.

I think the current setup probably causes you to start closer to people with similar lap-times as drivers with similar skills would tend to be on the same points especially as the season continues. Qualifying always brings in some randomness.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
A mix of both would be good, qual race 1 then cship reverse grid race 2 3
do you even motorsports?

Offline LetsTestDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »
I voted yes, but only because last night didn't really feel like a race to me, but more of a "let me see if I can hold up the quicker driver behind me/I better let the quicker driver pass" event.  ??? If I qualify 9th I want to be fighting it out with the 7th/8th/10th/11th drivers as the race evolves. That's my 2cents  :P

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
 We have many varied season formats thanks to Wally and your continuous improvement/experiments.
Seems from the reports it is giving good entertainment.
EDIT:
sorry got sick of typing on phone in train...
but the proverb jumps to mind from one of A. Lincoln's speeches: "Don't change horses mid stream".
(throwing out "lean practice" as it suits me), the variety makes the Tuesdays' seasons great,
my 2d worth.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:49:05 AM by Bruce »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal