Xtreme Gaming Network

Help with FFB settings

Author Topic: Help with FFB settings  (Read 7814 times)

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
Help with FFB settings
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
So up until today I have been using the default of very close to default FFB settings with my Driving force GT wheel and it seemed to work fine.

Then I was looking at the season 2 Cobra Cup post and thought I might have a go, went and downloaded the Cobra and took it for a few laps around Blackwood and had a hell of a time getting it stopped so I fiddled and fiddled with the setup until I got it to a state that it was some what drivable but was still having trouble with locking the wheels so I was looking online for tips when I remember I had watched a video about how FFB setting make a lot of difference in how the car drives (video was by Empty Box on YT 'bout iRacing in you are interested)

anyway I looked up some settings for Assetto Corsa and came across theses settings in some youtube video and put them in.

wow did it make a difference I put the car back on default setup and was pretty close to the time I had with the crazy setup before with only a few laps done.

Just want some advice on how to improve the settings I dont get any feedback when the wheels lock which would be good so...

TL:DR Trouble driving Cobra, gets proper FFB settings, Drives alot better, wants to improve settings.

Edit: the settings from the random video were for drifting making them not ideal and I have everything in the Logitech profiler at 100%
if they should be changed.

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:51:31 PM by Schmittez »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Help with FFB settings
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
I've got similar settings. For me, 10% damping made a huge difference in catching slides, and have had a similar brake gamma too. It's probably quite hardware dependent, what works best for you.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
I still can't get my head around damping and what it does.  As far as the "gain" or actual force goes I have it set to 100% from the launcher but when I'm in game for each car I go for a drive with the pedals app up and try to get the right side line almost hitting the top without going red.  I fiddle with the FFB in the "general settings" in game until I get this right and then I save it.

I have the slip effects right up so I can feel what the car is doing - particularly under brakes.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
A lot of damping adds "viscosity" to the wheel's motion, as if it was moving through thick oil i.e. classic damping. But a little bit of damping just sort of takes the edge off the wheel's motion and gives it a bit of natural feeling weight. Your wheel's got some natural damping due to the resistance of the gears/belts, so what feels good will vary from wheel to wheel.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
So maximum gain + maximum damping should give you the strongest FFB?  Or does damping take away from the actual FFB forces as the motor is being used to "stiffen" up the wheel?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
Just try a big damping and see. It doesn't give you more FFB - it feels like a lag, and smooths the forces. That's why you only want a little bit of damping. Season to taste.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »
Wow. Just gave this a go and dropped 2secs off my PB. Had Damping set to 5% and slip to 5%. Now have Damp=10% and Slip=20%.

Wally, you are correct about catching the slides.
Guybrush, you are correct about feeling the car under brakes better - especially when to feather the pedal just as you turn into a corner.

thanks!

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, I am now getting force feed back instead of just force back. I can actually feel when the wheels lock and when they start to slide during under steer where as before it was just kind of a force resisting me turning.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
yeah, I have slip at about 100.  She sure rattles the table when I lock up!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
Strange as I turned all the effects off no damping or filter. Have force at 101% in the profiler all others at zero. Ingame force around 60 I get pretty good feel for what the car is doing with a g25. It does feel like a car with powersteering but not much point trying to get too high a force from a wheel that cant really do it.

I get very good feel for oversteer and can drift it quite easily if needed. In the little elise Im pretty much sideways into most turns. Using the other effects gave me an exaggerated feel for those things but I get a much better feel for grip with them all off. There is no odd shakes and letting go of the wheel on a straight it doesnt wobble itself to death and will mostly hold its line.

I never had the wheel at extreme forces so I dont think its degraded over the years ive had it. My next wheel will be a direct drive but ive heard guys have issies with the bodnar wheel and ac atm. I will keep an eye on the accuforce and prpbably get that if its running well within ac. For now the g25 still does a pretty good job and I dont think a better wheel will make me any faster just more immersive and more auto rotation speed will help for some drifting or rally style driving.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal