Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Mugello Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat  (Read 74194 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:57 PM »
Qualified around 10-11th in each race and based on practice didn't see this race lasting long as I was having all sorts of grief putting laps together.
R1 Got a good jump and the front half of the field got going cleanly however at T1 on the second or so lap I spun and by the time I got going i was last so I spent most of the race just trying to catch the field.
R2: Decent start again but half way round the 1st lap my wheel departed the desk and I was in all sorts of pain trying to keep on track whilst trying to get it re attached.  Managed to hold position but not to long later I got a top and was off again and back to the rear.  Once again I set about the chase however with 2 laps to go I noticed the fuel wasn't going to get there and with the pit rule it was race over........
Did actually get the hang of the car as the night went on but have zero idea how to get near the speed of some of you guys up front. (well done).

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
Race 1 I was fortunate that Marty was unfortunate and spun on a kerb. I managed to hold it together to finish 2nd.

In race 2, I followed Rob's lead and increased the camber all round, which made the car feel great. I could really put it where I wanted to. I got off to a good start, having some close racing with Marty, with a few draft-assisted lead changes, and keeping in touch with the Achilles Heels guys. But on lap 8 I just barely touched the inside kerb on the last turn, and it spun me off into the wall. With dirty tyres, it took me about 3 goes to get the car straight again, kept spinning. Dropped from 3rd to 10th. Then on lap 10 I ran a little wide over the kerb, and coming back onto track was carrying too much speed and hit the back of Gratulin, for which I'm sorry. I should have allowed for more speed difference. I redressed, which saw me lose another couple of spots. On lap 13 I drifted into a sandtrap while talking, lost another spot to finish 12. A pretty messy race, which was a pity when the car was feeling really good.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
R1 I had a great start, picked up 2-3 positions by T1.  Then I've watched Marty & Wally having a great battle.  Then barely missed Marty as he spun back onto the track.   I think it was a wise move from me to raise the setup by 20 clicks.  I was able to do evasive manoeuvres, get out of the rough, etc, without major trouble.   R1 was a hotlapping session after this, I could not catch Wally, let alone Guybrush, and no-one was close behind.

R2 started well, good position, etc, but on the 2nd lap I got a bit too cocky in T1 and this setup bites...  Waited for the field, then proceeded to have great battles along the way, the best with StanDaam, chasing him for a good 3 laps before I've managed to sneak by.  Sadly, a few corners later he managed to beach himself, bugger about that.   

Very good race, and a really fun night overall, thanks gents!

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Great fun last night.
Went from my worst races last week to my best races this week. Mainly thanks to everyone's mistakes! I just had to keep it on the black stuff. Race 1 I held onto it for 12th. I think my best result to date.

Big shout out to my main man Cramjet for just missing out on the podium. It was our plan all along to come in 4th at the most. puts us in a fighting chance of.... something... :o
I heard some sledging going on about West Australians.. I was too distracted to defend our state at the time. But left me wondering are there other, awesome, west Aussies here?

Was some good racing all round from where I was placed. Great to see all the cars going around and jostling for position.

Question about qualifying times. if you look at the spread sheets, it's pretty odd / amazing how many people got exact same lap times lap after lap in qualifying. yet this doesn't seem to happen in racing.
http://xgnassettocorsa.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/s2r3-formula-abarth-at-mugello.html

Cramjet managed to throw down 3 consecutive laps in qualifying of 1:47:767.
 a lot of people did at least two laps one after the other. exact same times.
suspicious? buggy? normal?

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »

That's where you pit in from a previous lap, in Cramjets case he pitted after completing a 1:47:767 then when you come out of pits Assetto throws out the last recorded lap of that driver time again, so it gets recorded as such to results, in Cramjets case, he would have pitted again and came out a third time and recorded again the last known lap.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »
I heard some sledging going on about West Australians.. I was too distracted to defend our state at the time. But left me wondering are there other, awesome, west Aussies here?

Just keep an eye out, West aussies can be identified by there mild paranoia behaviors of swerving all over the long straight thinking someone might be getting the slightest draft 300 meters in toe ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Well done Guybrush on the wins, I didnt really have the pace to hurt him. Race 1 was quite fun even though I did a silly error being gready on the exit of t5. I missed the apex but didnt want to lift as Wally was pressuring and I was trying to get out to pull out a gap so he couldnt draft me down the straight. This resulted in a big tank slapper and into the wall but spun back onto the track. Rob got unlucky as he was blindsided by the 2 cars ahead of him and he nailed me just as the car stopped across the track.

I then had to try fight back dropping to about 10th there then unfortunatly had a coming together with Glen as I got squeezed with nowhere to go as I was inside. I locked up once I saw he was turning in but we hit and I spun into the grass and nearly everyone got past. I ended up 17th when I rejoined and then just tried to fight my way back with a few good battles especially the last lap and half with Rob and Gwyer. In the end finished 8th so at least I got some points out of that messy race of mine.

Here are my lowlights and highlights from race 1 in a video.
[youtube]TLQuyhG0hO0[/youtube]

Race 2 the first 2 laps were almost Identical as with Wally again challenging and passing on the draft lap 2, we had a good battle and he did start to pull a little gap so I needed to push a bit to make it up. Finally got by and a few draft passes each it was shaping up to be a fun battle with Guy a second or so ahead but pulling ahead more as we slowed eachother down with some side by side action. Sadly Wally spun on the last corner then I just tried to chase Guybrush.

Luckily for me had had an off and so I was able to catch him and even get past a little later. We were close for a few laps then he got by and I made some small mistakes where he started to pulk a little gap. I was pushing hard then ended up spinning on the second last lap, got pretty much beached but just got out a few seconds ahead of Rob. With dirty cold tyres he was gaining quickly. I tried pushing for a fastest lap on the last lap but ran wide exit of 6 and nearly lost it again. Then just had to try hold Rob off to the line.

Was fun especially all the passing in race 1 and battles with Wally, Guy and Rob in both races.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Haven't seen Phil on-line all weekend?
He was having internet drama. He might not have a connection yet.

He has probably been practicing in secret we will see what he brings, lets hope he finally got hooked up so he can make this weeks races.

I really and truly wish that was the case.

Unfortunately I moved house into an area with zero available internet - well I can get a pathetic 50kb if I sign up :(
I am looking into other ISP and what other options I have. My exchange is RIM and basically no DSL2 is possible.

Also I do apologise for not updating you guys with my attendance, I also started a new job exactly two weeks ago and I am super busy here reading documentation and stuff.

I don't want to stop someone else getting a spot on race nights so for now, I will have to say assume I won't be available.

On a side note: with regards to my crappy exchange does anyone here have any experience with line transposition requests?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Haven't seen Phil on-line all weekend?
He was having internet drama. He might not have a connection yet.

He has probably been practicing in secret we will see what he brings, lets hope he finally got hooked up so he can make this weeks races.

I really and truly wish that was the case.

Unfortunately I moved house into an area with zero available internet - well I can get a pathetic 50kb if I sign up :(
I am looking into other ISP and what other options I have. My exchange is RIM and basically no DSL2 is possible.

Also I do apologise for not updating you guys with my attendance, I also started a new job exactly two weeks ago and I am super busy here reading documentation and stuff.

I don't want to stop someone else getting a spot on race nights so for now, I will have to say assume I won't be available.

On a side note: with regards to my crappy exchange does anyone here have any experience with line transposition requests?

That's a pain, Phil. I just about think checking out internet availability is something you need to check out before you buy a house these days.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
Hey all, wow fun night... Firstly great racing everyone!  ;D

Didn't do anything special other than stay consistent, relax and wait for a pass opportunity rather than push too hard, accidentally bump someone and then spin out and then feel awful about it.

Q1 - got a PB... stoked
R1 - just followed the pack, was very lucky that it was the mistakes of others that I gained so many spots... Had a wicked last few laps battle with StanDaam... I think if there were 2 more laps you would of had me... my concentration was just shot by the end of it with you breathing down my neck.

Q2 - fluffed around too long to have track time to nail a good lap, or I was still not relaxed enough after R1
R2 - Decided will just do the same as race one, try for consistency and wait for opportunities. Glen73 and I had really fun battles and eventually his class showed and started to leave me in his wake...

This week I think the trick for me was don't be on the course for 2 hours before the race... I jumped on with about 30min to go of practice and that had me well and truly warmed up and ready... last week I was mentally fried to try to maintain concentration for so long. I'm only relative new to this... Since AC really.

Thanks again all! Man I love this racing! A real buzz!

Cya online again soon  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »
Good vid, Marty, you've too much time on your hands :)
Check how little time I had to avoid you in R1 - it's a miracle I was actually able to !

That's a pain, Phil. I just about think checking out internet availability is something you need to check out before you buy a house these days.
Sadly it does not mean squat.  I did my due diligence, moved in, and there were no ports available...:/

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
I struggled to find time to practice and make a setup I could drive fast. Well off the pace. And that was it. Still enjoyed it as there is fun racing in any position!

oh and sorry dave for pulling out in front of you. Looked clear on map but before I knew it it was too late. At least no positions were lost :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:30:06 AM by crimespree »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
It's great to read about people's first experiences with sim racing and AC, enjoying the racing, having fun. That's what it's all about!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
Sadly it does not mean squat.  I did my due diligence, moved in, and there were no ports available...:/
Ow. Note to self: never move.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

Hope you're settling into your new job at least Phil!
There was no sign of CTR last night. so CramDick racing has snuck past you guys! *cheer

I remember a couple of years ago I was living in a broadband dead spot. 30kms from Perth city. I'd ring up those Telstra jerks and they would want to know which is my closest regional capital city. I'd tell them I'm 30 kms from Perth and the line would go silent. They are just tight fisted, money grabbing pigs. No intention of providing enough ports or whatever. I had to move house.

That's where you pit in from a previous lap, in Cramjets case he pitted after completing a 1:47:767 then when you come out of pits Assetto throws out the last recorded lap of that driver time again, so it gets recorded as such to results, in Cramjets case, he would have pitted again and came out a third time and recorded again the last known lap.

ah ok.. makes perfect sense  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal