Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Monza race chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Monza race chat  (Read 61522 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Round 4: Monza race chat
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
You sure it was on 5x wear? That would be the equivalent of running 70 laps for only 97%?

Will you be making the practice server 5x tyre wear Wally?
Yep, it's already got 5x wear on it.

Was on the xgn server so I assume so and hards dropped off way more then they did in our 7 lap race by lap 7.

I will try again this time hooking up teathering my phones optus 4g connection will see how stabke and how much bandwidth it uses. Seeing Dodo has died yet again, I tried calling them to inform them I am going to churn and cancel the contract for a service they havent held up their side of the deal on. Tried calling but they dont answer the phone so just wrote them a nice email lol.

Still no NBN here even though they have a major warehouse within a few hundred meters of my house lol. No plans for this area over the next 5 years either so naked dsl is my best bet. Internode looks ok anyone have experiance with them or a recommendation, dont need a phone line at all and only need a good quality connection with large dl limits.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:23:19 PM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Internode used to be the best, they're now managed by iinet so you can go with either, you get pretty much the same.  Still not bad.

I'm with 'node for many years now, and I've no complaints, I've tested their support a number of times, and they're always helpful and the phone is answered by technically able people, not monkeys (like it is at TPG, Telstra, Optus, etc...)

Rolz

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »

Still no NBN here even though they have a major warehouse within a few hundred meters of my house lol. No plans for this area over the next 5 years either so naked dsl is my best bet. Internode looks ok anyone have experiance with them or a recommendation, dont need a phone line at all and only need a good quality connection with large dl limits.

Been with iinet (bought out internode) for quite a few years... they are pretty good and I've always been happy with them. Always tried to be naked (phoneline - mind out of the gutter  :P) with them, but my last move I had to get a phone number as well as net access.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
The Formula Abarth hard tires are very durable, from what I've read. In real life, one set can last several races. They will stay at 97 for some time, then go down to 90 more rapidly.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
I was pretty shocked to hear you where with Dodo Marty.
I thought everyone knew Dodo are the worst ISP in Australia.
http://www.ozbroadbandreview.com/company.php?id=16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
I was pretty shocked to hear you where with Dodo Marty.
I thought everyone knew Dodo are the worst ISP in Australia.
http://www.ozbroadbandreview.com/company.php?id=16

I was with IINET a while back but had issues with them, then used netspace wh9 were bought by IINET and then got Dodo maybe a year ago and had no issues. The last 2 weeks have gone from bad to worse and so I am done with them. IINET doesnt do naked here for some reason but I can with internode so its all strange.

Re tyre wear I tried to push a little harder and still ended with 97 % front and rear,  they start to wear at around lap 6 for me and go fairly quickly from 99% to 97% and then stay there. I havent tried guybrush's setup but I can see his car running  more camber and also quite likely toe so that will eat tyres quite a bit.

Teathering with optus 4g used hardly any data well under 10MB while runnnng about 20 laps on the server with a ping of 45 but I was on track on my own. I think I will need to use that option tomorrow nite as I doubt my connection will stay up with the ADSL connection. Still strange how it was running better then any other connection I had in the past for nearlg 1 year then turned to crap so bad recently. Since mp came into AC my pings were always about 37 on the amazon servers but its just started to float til it no longer connects at all.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
I have put up my server with a short qualy and 14 lap race with dynamic track and 5x tyre wear if anyone wants to try to see how that will all work out.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
FYI race 2 is 13 laps, not 14.

If you spin badly and light up the rears when they are already at 97,  it rapidly sends them towards 90.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »
What's your lap there, Wally?
I've managed a 53.3 after a few laps with a modded guy setup (raised it by 2cm again against sudden death, added a bit of fuel and straightened the rear toe-out, it was bugging me a bit, hehe - oh and set the brake a bit towards the rear.)  But all in all I think I could potentially do better with this set.  Still, I dunno where I'm effing up.  Here's my telemetry if you want to analyse me :)
Actually, this is the wrong file. It's a TC file instead of an NKT file.
ops.  I thought that the telemetry will be in the folder that says telemetry.    :)

I've found this one in the "aim" folder, I guess this is it:
http://ysumail.com/ac/telemetry_dump.rar

Altho I can see the results already..."Guy brakes later, carries more speed and gets on the throttle earlier" LOL.

Not far off in your summary, Bird :)

First chicane… GB brakes 10m later, stays on the throttle 10m longer, gets on the throttle 22m earlier, about 0.3 secs lost. Pretty similar inputs though.

Second chicane, same story, 0.35 lost. Again, the input traces are very similar in shape, GB is just on full throttle longer on entry and sooner on exit.

Second Lesmo (Turn 5), Bird goes full brake on entry, GB only applies 50% brake (and for shorter time). Bird lifts off the throttle a bit on exit; GB holds the throttle flat on exit. 0.3 secs lost.

Ascari (T7), GB brakes later, and more lightly (80% as opposed to Bird’s 100%). Bird got on the throttle momentarily too early on exit and had to lift a little, GB puts power on a little later, but can then hold it. GB coasts deeper into the complex, until he can put the power down without lifting (which is always great driving style). 0.35 lost.

Parabolica, GB brakes later and less hard, but Bird actually gets on the throttle earlier, and yet, 0.3 lost, mostly because GB holds more speed throughout the corner.

GB’s strength is late breaking, not to 100% brake, and getting on the power only when he can hold it flat. It’s just great driving style, although his setup must really help him do that.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
Seeing I dont think I will be running softs in this race at all here is my Telemetry for a 7 lap race on hards, Last lap was low 1:52 and the last few laps were all in the 52s or close to.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oh1l3en7wft5nmx/Marty+7+lap+race+hards.rar

Marty actually arrives at the first chicane 5 kph faster than GB, but loses about 0.2 secs coming out. You know the drill… GB brake/off throttle later on entry. Marty oversteered a bit on exit and had to lift. But very similar to GB.

Second chicane, 0.15 lost. Braking is similar, but Marty lifts off the throttle earlier. Very similar, but GB gets quite a spurt of full throttle mid chicane (where Marty only has a little 85% application) which picks up some mid-chicane speed. Marty takes it in 2nd; GB takes it in 3rd.

0.4 lost through the two Lesmos. You already know why.

Ascari chicane, 0.35 lost. You already know why.

Parabolica 0.15 lost. You already know why.

Again the lesson is - if you want to be as fast as Guybrush, brake later, get on full throttle earlier. But Marty's telemetry is closest to GB's in "shape".

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »
Im running quite a bit less aero then guy so sacrificing some cornering speed to be able to pass easily others down the straights and that data you have was done on the hard tyres for me vs softs ib Guys lap. He can easily do low 1:51's on softs and I struggle to get under 1:52 which is the same as I can do on the hards. Maybe my soft tyres are wrong on my Tatuus or something as the only difference between softs mediums and hards is how long they last with less then .2 between my best on all 3 tyres.

I can just about hang on to guy for a lap or 2 racing if hes busy eating sausage rolls or something. I also just found my throttle spiking so will need to clean that out as my telemetry was spiking like crazy. If I stay in his draft I can be a nuisance for a fw laps but a tiny mistake of mine then he just pulls away.

We did do a 5x wear 14 lap race sim with grip starting at 97% and he was pulling away about .5 per lap on me nearly every lap, my throttle was spiking a little but still my pace was still quite a bit off him and we both finished with the same wear by the end of the race.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »

Again the lesson is - if you want to be as fast as Guybrush, brake later, get on full throttle earlier. But Marty's telemetry is closest to GB's in "shape".
Sounds simple but . .. if I brake any later I overshoot, get on the gas earlier I slide, and I'm in the 1.55's.  >:(

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2014, 12:20:52 AM »

Sounds simple but . .. if I brake any later I overshoot, get on the gas earlier I slide, and I'm in the 1.55's.  >:(

Its a lot to do with line commitment and precision, then making a setup to maximize this or altering the line whichever gives a better result.  You also need to be able to do this consistantly and thats quick guys from very quick guys.

I have followed guy enough and know his lines but using my setup approach I cant do the same but just hope to pass him at the end of the straights, I havent tried his setup here but figured id try something different as I cant beat him doing it his way. Still I think if we both have a clean race I will be a bit behind him but there may be a few of us battling for the minor positions and this track can really be fun in a good close battle.

Looking at Guys RSR and also racing him a bit he is running more aero then most faster times his top speed 230kmh most others are 235+, kind of my preferred red bull type setup but I have gone the other way this roung. Still the guys running even higher top speeds then me are nearly a second quicker so I am always just a little slow.

Would guy be quicker with a more traditional aero setup for monza? who knows but there are some pretty big names there on RSR he is mixing with and I dont think there is much more time there and it shows you can run a similar pace with very low and low aero setups, one of the main things I like about AC is exactly that. Its a shame Darren isnt here as they may have had some good battles in these cars but as is I dont think anyone quite has the pace to beat him over a longer distance fairly.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »

I'd prioritize a better exit over later braking.  I'm sure Wally's telemetry magic would back this up that you might gain a tenth or so by braking a little later but by the time you get to the next corner a better exit could save you two or three tenths, especially at a place like Monza where there is so far between corners.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »

Would guy be quicker with a more traditional aero setup for monza? who knows but there are some pretty big names there on RSR he is mixing with and I dont think there is much more time there and it shows you can run a similar pace with very low and low aero setups, one of the main things I like about AC is exactly that. Its a shame Darren isnt here as they may have had some good battles in these cars but as is I dont think anyone quite has the pace to beat him over a longer distance fairly.

I wondered the same Marty, but I was on WR pace by about a tenth before I stuffed up every corner from the second Lesbo onwards!  I haven't really tried a lower downforce setup properly but might give it a shot.

With soft v hards I'm wondering whether you just can't lean on the softs as much without having the aero to do so?  Also, if you are running a lot more front downforce than rear do you feel you can really throw it into corners?  That's where the softs hold the advantage for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal