Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 thoughts

Author Topic: Season 3 thoughts  (Read 76609 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 thoughts
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
Candidate tracks and indicative lap times:

Gentrack 1 (1:44)
Nurburgring (2:20)
Castle Hill Long (1:13)
Imola (2:10)
Silverstone International (1:18)
Mugello (2:16)

Maybe throw in Spa, assuming we get it, even though a lap may be the other side of 3:00. I'd throw it in instead of another long lapper, such as Nurburgring.

I want to go for three sprints this season, each of about 15 mins duration, with 3 x 10 min qualifying sessions. That makes the overall night about the same length, and regroups the field more often for more action. You'd stay in the same car for all three races.

Didn't we agree to have 5 rounds of Monza?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
That's a private season, just for you Dick.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
Vallelunga?  We haven't had too many races there...I certainly don't remember them! ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
Vallelunga?  We haven't had too many races there...I certainly don't remember them! ;)

Vallelunga gives me nightmares. I think it's one of the tracks with about 16 grid positions only. I think that's why we haven't seen it yet.

G0RGAK

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »

Maybe throw in Spa, assuming we get it, even though a lap may be the other side of 3:00. I'd throw it in instead of another long lapper, such as Nurburgring.

I want to go for three sprints this season, each of about 15 mins duration, with 3 x 10 min qualifying sessions. That makes the overall night about the same length, and regroups the field more often for more action. You'd stay in the same car for all three races.

Just my 2 cents, can we not use the custom made maps tracks they are just not up to scratch imo, even Castle Hill which is fairly high quality just does not have the surface variation, and turns what is a awesome simulator into more of a 'arcade' experience. I understand that playing the same maps tracks again does not appeal to some people, but at the end of the day its the racing experience, not the layout of the circuit that's determines the enjoyment (for me anyway).

So my track requests are :- Mugello, Imola, Monza, Nurburgring, Silvestone (Int or GP) and Spa if we get it.

Shame we can't use Vallelunga as it only has 22 spot's :(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:21:45 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »

It's a candidate, but the thing is it only has 22 pit boxes as opposed to the 24 of the other tracks. Magione is also ruled out by only having 18. I'd love to work these tracks in somehow.

The Vallelunga could be a short notice kind of thing if I know I'm only going to get 22 runners one week.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »

Just my 2 cents, can we not use the custom made maps they are just not up to scratch imo, even Castle Hill which is fairly high quality just does not have the surface variation, and turns what is a awesome simulator into more of a 'arcade' experience. I understand that playing the same maps again does not appeal to some people, but at the end of the day its the racing experience, not the layout of the circuit that's determines the enjoyment (for me anyway).

So my track requests are :- Mugello, Imola, Monza, Nurburgring, Silvestone (Int or GP) and Spa if we get it.

Shame we can't use Vallelunga as it only has 22 spot's :(

I'm with GORGAK on this. There are indeed some very nice custom tracks! Great to see. But I really don't like to settle for anything less than 110% awesome.
Even more so. real life tracks. Part of the biggest appeal of AC to me is getting to race on real world tracks with extremely life like details.

I also understand Wally wanting to give us variety.
It's a tough situation atm.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
I'm happy with a mix of high quality mods and official tracks.  Gentrack1 is as good as any of the official tracks IMO.

Having bumps, etc on the road doesn't bother me.  It makes no difference to the racing.  There are a lot of circuits which don't have bumps anyway due to resurfacing, such as Donnington.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Yeah, there's a balance to be struck. It was the same with netKar and addon tracks, in it's more limited way.
I don't want to just run the same 5 tracks over and over, which limits a season length, and there's also lap time to consider in some of the slower cars.
A pretty track might be great for hotlapping/practice, but when it comes down to the heat of battle, hopefully the track layout will become more important than the subtleties. I'll throw in only 1 or 2 custom tracks, if they're of "good enough" quality. I haven't seen too many that do the sim justice yet.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
I'm being over critical about tracks. AC is trying to take SIM to the next level. Let's support that and push the developers and modders to push maximum effort.
  And there are some that are very very close.

If I was big player at KUNOS. I'd be quite anti-mod. I can imagine someone new coming along. Unwittingly use a mod track, mod car and come away absolutely disappointed and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »

It's a candidate, but the thing is it only has 22 pit boxes as opposed to the 24 of the other tracks. Magione is also ruled out by only having 18. I'd love to work these tracks in somehow.

The Vallelunga could be a short notice kind of thing if I know I'm only going to get 22 runners one week.

Maybe we need to start another official thread team spam asking for more grid spots on those 2 tracks. After all they have much larger fields at all tracks in some races with 100+ at spa and Nurburgring so surely fitting in 24 at magione and Vallelunga wouldnt be such a stretch.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
I'm being over critical about tracks. AC is trying to take SIM to the next level. Let's support that and push the developers and modders to push maximum effort.
  And there are some that are very very close.

If I was big player at KUNOS. I'd be quite anti-mod. I can imagine someone new coming along. Unwittingly use a mod track, mod car and come away absolutely disappointed and wondering what all the fuss is about.

It's a two edged sword. On the one hand, you get questionable quality, and also the problem of never being able to join an online pickup race because you never have the car and/or track mod. But on the other hand, good mods can prolong the life of your game considerably, like rFactor 1, or even netKar. We would never have raced on it that long if every race was on a variation of Aosta.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
Perhaps in the meantime we can work a way to use Vallelunga and Magione. One way is to make those rounds single points rounds and ballot a few people to sit one of the races out.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
Perhaps in the meantime we can work a way to use Vallelunga and Magione. One way is to make those rounds single points rounds and ballot a few people to sit one of the races out.
I don't know if it's worth kicking some people out, just to use a different track. And then there's the question of the points those people miss out on. I'd rather try to work those tracks in if we're down on numbers at some stage.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
Have to agree. The racing league is working really well at present. I for one, have more than enough to still learn with the existing set of cars and tracks. Just a pity that 2 of the AC tracks cannot be used.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal