Xtreme Gaming Network

Bucket list: future season ideas

Author Topic: Bucket list: future season ideas  (Read 82261 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Bucket list: future season ideas
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »
Over time too reversed grids will help everyone to race better among others, especially if damage is effecting the car a fair bit then there is no point rubbing past others as it will stop your progress fairly quickly. Some people dont really want to be stuck in a proper battle though I feel, but in the end as long as the guy ahead drives fairly and hits the racing line or does normal defensive moves its up to the guy behind to make a safe pass and not rear end them in the race. Once there is overlap this is where both really need to give some room and why you need to watch mirrors.

Yeah longer races.
Or two races: first starting reverse, second in finishing order.

I still think best to have 1 regular race and 1 revers grid, this will help to keep the people that are quicker at the back of race 2. If its just reverse grid race 1 then I think the actual field will be more mixed up and less in a proper reversed order going by pace. Also how would you start the first round that way, but if race 1 is always a shorter regular grid race maybe only 15 minutes then race 2 around 45 minutes keeping total racing at 1hr as the current season if its not too long for all would give more chance to battle back up the grid from the rear.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
I still think my idea of a grip handicap would produce the closest and best racing.

It would be good to do a few fun runs in a car that has many tyre choices and then handicap based on tyres.

But if you could manually assign grip levels for each driver the racing would be awesome.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
I still think my idea of a grip handicap would produce the closest and best racing.

It would be good to do a few fun runs in a car that has many tyre choices and then handicap based on tyres.

But if you could manually assign grip levels for each driver the racing would be awesome.
It would be interesting to try. Ballast arguably changes the handling characteristics of the car, whereas lower grip is just... slippery.

In theory, we could try it by giving everyone a specific surfaces.ini (which has the grip multiplier for each track surface in it) to download, just for one race. You'd then have to disable track checksums on the server, as everyone would have a different surfaces.ini.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
The main issue with ballast is that it slows you down in a straight line so you can't pass.

When you think about it, the only thing that makes us fast or slow is corner entry, mid corner and corner exit.  By lowering grip it brings these aspects back toward slower drivers so the passing opportunities remain the same, with the same straight line speed.  Yes, corner exit will effect straight line speed, but if you are exiting a corner 10 km/h faster than someone else, then lowering that exit speed a little bit will still mean you are entering the straight at a similar speed to the lesser handicapped car.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
Hence ballast is preferred. Because it is really pleasing to leave a GB in the dust on the straight . :D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
The main issue with ballast is that it slows you down in a straight line so you can't pass.

When you think about it, the only thing that makes us fast or slow is corner entry, mid corner and corner exit.  By lowering grip it brings these aspects back toward slower drivers so the passing opportunities remain the same, with the same straight line speed.  Yes, corner exit will effect straight line speed, but if you are exiting a corner 10 km/h faster than someone else, then lowering that exit speed a little bit will still mean you are entering the straight at a similar speed to the lesser handicapped car.

Even better when you enter the straight 5kmh faster with a .5 second lead and get passed like your standing still well before t1 at Imola.  ;D

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
How about long races on the occasional Sunday, they could be one off special events. I'm talking 90 minute plus races. You could start them much earlier than the current week nigh races.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
How about long races on the occasional Sunday, they could be one off special events. I'm talking 90 minute plus races. You could start them much earlier than the current week nigh races.

Id love some longer races, Sundays sometimes I can do sometimes but during the day on Sundays I would end up missing most races. a 90 minute race wouldn't take much longer then the current 2x 30 minute race with server change and practice or Q session between races.

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »

Id love some longer races, Sundays sometimes I can do sometimes but during the day on Sundays I would end up missing most races. a 90 minute race wouldn't take much longer then the current 2x 30 minute race with server change and practice or Q session between races.
You could even look at running a one hour Qual session on the Sunday prior.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
I really like longer races, but I'd be struggling to make any other night myself. But if Marty or someone else wants to run a Sunday night comp, then go for it. I'd be happy to parse logs to get results etc, if you want it in the Tuesday night format.

Or I can do some special events on Tuesdays in between season. Enduros don't get a real good turnout though, I reckon.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
I really like longer races, but I'd be struggling to make any other night myself. But if Marty or someone else wants to run a Sunday night comp, then go for it. I'd be happy to parse logs to get results etc, if you want it in the Tuesday night format.

Or I can do some special events on Tuesdays in between season. Enduros don't get a real good turnout though, I reckon.

I think we had a fair turnout to the Nords 24h gt 1 1/2 hour race, dont remember the numbers but was 20+ I think though my pc crashed on lap 1 or 2 and I rejoined a lap don so that kind of sucked. If there is enough interest in an enduro series mabe even just 1 a month or each fortnite some nite of the week other then Tuesday and Thursday that would suit most. I cant really run a sunday afternoon as I may quite likely not be able to make most of them which wouldnt work so well but later Sunday nites starting say 7 or 7:30pm est could be doable.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2016, 08:57:11 AM »
I like this idea, espesh the "occasional Sunday", and the 90 minutes style. 
I believe I could do something here, if Phil is happy to do the server side stuff I am happy to work out an enduro style with little used content.
I will put up a vote...
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
I am happy :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »

I think we had a fair turnout to the Nords 24h gt 1 1/2 hour race, dont remember the numbers but was 20+ I think though my pc crashed on lap 1 or 2 and I rejoined a lap don so that kind of sucked. If there is enough interest in an enduro series mabe even just 1 a month or each fortnite some nite of the week other then Tuesday and Thursday that would suit most. I cant really run a sunday afternoon as I may quite likely not be able to make most of them which wouldnt work so well but later Sunday nites starting say 7 or 7:30pm est could be doable.
This is mid to later afternoon for me anyway so I'm still happy. You could do it every fourth, third or other Sunday. No championship points so people don't feel compelled to compete every race. If you can be there great if you can't so be it.

I'd really like to try some full distance grand prix in the F1 mods that are available for AC. The mod with last year's cars spring to mind, but the 2004 Ferrari and the 1998 or 99 McLaren that are available would also be cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal