Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 thoughts

Author Topic: Season 3 thoughts  (Read 75922 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Season 3 thoughts
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Don't want to over complicate this but how do other drivers know what car a skin will be for? I realise we can look up the week's list of cars, then work out which folder to copy a particular driver's skin into, then go look for the specific skin for that driver and car combo for the week. Just saying it might get a tad messy?

I could put 'guybrush' in a sub folder of the car make. Then just take it out of that car make folder once unzipped?
or I could post them separately. I'm sure I can name the zip file different to it's contents?

Offline Grubbet

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Skinning the 240 and 240 s3 is pretty simple. you only have to skin one and the copy that skin folder to the other car skins. I guess its the same for the other cars that have s2 s3 etc?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »
Skinning the 240 and 240 s3 is pretty simple. you only have to skin one and the copy that skin folder to the other car skins. I guess its the same for the other cars that have s2 s3 etc?
I'm no skin expert, but I reckon it would be.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

for sure there are a few that have the same car shape. the 240's and the Elise SC variants. but the other lotususus don't
so the Exige's 240's and Elises..

at a glance i think the
the rest have different skin names in the templates

Exige Scura
Exige S Roadster   
M3 E92 Step 1   
Evora S   
BMW 1M   
Z4 E89 S1   

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
There might be some cars I'm less likely to be in Dick, so you might not have to do all of them???

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
There might be some cars I'm less likely to be in Dick, so you might not have to do all of them???
Guy is most likely going to be in an Elise SC variant.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2014, 08:22:07 AM »
Guy is most likely going to be in an Elise SC variant.

Ok.
Just say, All the stars align and the SIM gods smile upon Dick Forrest and he brings home a win..

Would I go from the fastest car, into the slowest car next week? Or would I Just drop down to the next slowest?

I'm getting there with skins. Trying other semi-traditional skins. The Lotusuess have a lot of panels though which spoil big designs cause they are hard to match up lines.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
No, it all just goes on fastest lap times. If you won by being faster than anyone else in your particular car, you may get a slightly slower car next week (not the slowest). It all depends how much faster you were, looking at fastest lap times.

If everyone's lap times end up being really close, then no ones car would change at all. It all balances out. Its not an exact science though, because everyone drives a bit differently of course, but it should be pretty close

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
No, it all just goes on fastest lap times. If you won by being faster than anyone else in your particular car, you may get a slightly slower car next week (not the slowest). It all depends how much faster you were, looking at fastest lap times.

If everyone's lap times end up being really close, then no ones car would change at all. It all balances out. Its not an exact science though, because everyone drives a bit differently of course, but it should be pretty close

Thanks Wally. i'm glad you are using your brain and not mine.

any chance of sandbagging? I know one or two let's say, morally questionable, members who might look for loopholes..

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
This might be over-kill Wally, but it would be good to take the average of each player's 2 fastest laps per race.  This is in case someone inadvertently cuts a corner, runs wide, or gets bumped past a corner, etc. and puts in a lap a bit faster than normal.

The other thing I was thinking - just as a throw-away idea - is that you could have a 13 minute qualifying session and then the top 5 (or 4, etc.) could do a hotlap each on clear track.  Kinda like in the V8 Supercars at some races.

So after the first session everyone's qual position bar the top 5 would be locked in, and then each car in the top 5 goes out on their own with the next car coming out when the preceding car is half-way through its hotlap.  It would give people the opportunity to watch each hotlap from the driver's seat and might add some excitement with everything on the line for one lap.  It would only take a few extra minutes if the next car is starting their hotlap not long after the first car finishes theirs.

Just a thought anyway.  Some people would probably find this boring if they weren't in the top 5.  I know I'd enjoy watching it unfold if I weren't involved in the shoot-out.  If I were in the top 5 I probably wouldn't fare as well, as hot-lapping consistency is a weakness for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:07:19 AM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Thanks Wally. i'm glad you are using your brain and not mine.

any chance of sandbagging? I know one or two let's say, morally questionable, members who might look for loopholes..

Done it all before :)

Sure, there can be sandbagging. Like say, a certain team throwing a race in the M3 E30's to get the DTMs for Monza ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
[in response to Guybrush]
It's not technically viable - but I'd also vote against it.  I'd hate to just sit and watch 5 others go a lap one-by-one.  I'd probably just go and grab a beer or something :)  Some rF online series had this sort and it was boring as batshit, to be honest, xcuse my language :)

On the two laps avg; I don't see a reason, really.  I cannot see any real serious accidents where one gets too much of a bonus.  If there's the occasional occurrence, it can be raised as an individual case.
On the other hand if someone cuts and gains some, he'll just pay the price next race :) Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »
This might be over-kill Wally, but it would be good to take the average of each player's 2 fastest laps per race.  This is in case someone inadvertently cuts a corner, runs wide, or gets bumped past a corner, etc. and puts in a lap a bit faster than normal.

That's not a bad idea. It's easy enough to do... it's all automated.

I like "top 10" style shootouts. The pressure of having to do one clean hotlap is good fun (especially when everyone's watching). However, it does take quite a while, and it needs more stuffing around on the night, so I'm unlikely to introduce it any time soon. I'd like the game to enforce a limit on the number of qualifying laps you can do. I sort of fake it by having 10 minute qually sessions after the first one.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
On the two laps avg; I don't see a reason, really.
It'll make it a tiny bit more accurate. Like you might get a killer lap because you got lucky with drafting or something. No harm in averaging your top two. It all then gets averaged out over the whole round (3 sprints) as well.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
Actually looking at the code, it needs a bit more of a change, so I won't do it after all (the averaging, I mean).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal