Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Monza Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Monza Race Chat  (Read 100314 times)

Rolz

Re: Round 3: Monza Race Chat
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
Having dinner and then will be there to warm up... Or watch those DTM's scream past  :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
Any ideas how to prevent the wireless from dropping out?

LAN cable. Got a long cable? Other than that, don't know. Interference from something polling? Got any new radio freq devices around the house?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
A bit late for tonight, but I've had some real success with Ethernet over Power (EoP)
Units are getting pretty decently priced these days...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Yeah EoP is a good alternative, I've been told (a friend uses it).  I haven't tested it.  I've used a 15m LAN cable in the old house.  That's the fastest, most reliable and cheapest, just have to put up with the cable sneaking around the floor :)

My apologies for my grumbling tonight!    I'm just getting grumpy and old, there's no denying.
These were still great races, and you guys are great!  I had fun, it was just a tad frustrating at times :D

I went with the 1st (short lower ratios) gear set to get off the line quicker, knowing that it'll cost me in the end about half to one second a lap.   It worked well early on, but I got caught up in traffic & accidents in both races, which has eroded my advantage completely both times.  But it was an interesting test.  I don't think I'd do it again on this track :)

I've also made the mistake of leaving the softs on for the second race, and due to a couple of bigger spins they were really slippery by lap 8-10.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »
Race Results
Season Standings
Season Statistics

Congratulations to Glen73 on both race wins and the round win.
Glen73 has taken the season lead, while team Projekt Rennesport takes the team points lead, thanks to a strong showing in the DTMs.

Round Points
Glen73    48
Bacchulum    46
BJSRacer    46
Gratulin    39
Phil    39
cramjet    37
Darren Marsh    34
Dave O    34
Imperious    34
Guybrush Threepwood    32
Marty    29
Crimespree    25
Freezer    24
Wally    23
Ysu    18
Mopz    16
Rolz    16
Rob    14
GWyar    13
Dick Forrest    11
Flattop    8
Grubbet    7
Vipergod    7
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »
wow, thanks Wally, this was quick!

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2014, 07:07:52 AM »
DTM POWEER!

That was a good night of racing thank you everyone for a clean race, it's amazing what the difference between AI and human really is.
All week I was racing the AI on 100% and I could catch up and easily win and last night I had to use all my racing skills, limited as they may be, to just hold my position.

Race one I had a decent poll position starting 5th and as always I had a shocker of a start and was lucky I didn't get overtaken right away, I think everyone didn't want to cause an accident on the first corner so I think that saved me, I did see a funny looking purple car in-between the DTMs!
Dave O was tailing me the whole race, the pressure was intense, I'm not sure if he had a DTM but his car must to have had some special brakes because every lap at both the first and second chicanes he would make up massive distances but then I'd be able to pull away. My tires faded on lap 9 or 10 and I was very very lucky to hold back Dave O. I'm not sure if it was tire fade but I had massive oversteer on the last two laps, that's why next race I went with hard compound tires.

Second race after reflection might not have been a good start, I decided to drive half the car on the grass. Because I didn't qualify I started at the bottom of the grid and when the race started I decided to cut down the inside, half the car was off the track and the other two wheels on the track, it was a bumpy start!
Hats of to Freezer, Davo and DarrenM you guys put some pressure on me and I honestly think one or two more laps and Darren would have caught me on one of those chicanes.

Either way I had a great night and can't wait for Thursday  8)

Rolz

« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:34 AM »
Yeah top racing last night all! Gosh it sure is fun.... even though I was in the GRA and the DTM's just left me in the dust it was good.

Racing was relatively clean, as clean as can be expected with new drivers (me) and old hands all thrown together... please a flurry of apologies if anything did happen.

Cant wait for next time.  Thanks to all out there last night... watching race-lines, break points or uploading your setups so all thumbs mechanics (me) can post some respectable times is sincerely appreciated  ::)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Despite being smacked around in the chicane in race 1 and being sent to the back of the grid, I had some good racing last night. Race 1 was fun working back through the field, squeezing past on the inside here and there. I put up a good chase on a few guys - Crimespree was a good battle, and Rob, who I never could quite catch (I finished 0.3 secs behind him in race 2. Where was the draft when I needed it??)

I had softs in race 1, which got just a little slippery by the end of the race, but mediums in race 2, which coped well. I also went with the longer gear set in the Group A, which bogged down off the line but felt a lot more comfortable with the distances between the gears down the track. I guess a lot of people did the same, because around me a lot of guys started the same off the line.

Like Vipergod said on TS, you have to be aware not just of the car in front of you, but the pack ahead of him too. In the lap 1 chicane, you need to see that the whole field is bottling up and slowing right down and becoming a brick wall. There's no excuse for charging into the back of an already slowing pack.

Turn 1 at Nurburgring is similar, very tight. Be aware of the large field bottling up there. The first half or third of the grid will get through alright, but the back half will be held up and get slower and slower.

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »

Despite being smacked around in the chicane in race 1 and being sent to the back of the grid, I had some good racing last night. Race 1 was fun working back through the field, squeezing past on the inside here and there. I put up a good chase on a few guys - Crimespree was a good battle, and Rob, who I never could quite catch (I finished 0.3 secs behind him in race 2. Where was the draft when I needed it??)

I had softs in race 1, which got just a little slippery by the end of the race, but mediums in race 2, which coped well. I also went with the longer gear set in the Group A, which bogged down off the line but felt a lot more comfortable with the distances between the gears down the track. I guess a lot of people did the same, because around me a lot of guys started the same off the line.

Like Vipergod said on TS, you have to be aware not just of the car in front of you, but the pack ahead of him too. In the lap 1 chicane, you need to see that the whole field is bottling up and slowing right down and becoming a brick wall. There's no excuse for charging into the back of an already slowing pack.

Turn 1 at Nurburgring is similar, very tight. Be aware of the large field bottling up there. The first half or third of the grid will get through alright, but the back half will be held up and get slower and slower.

Thanks wally. I went softs again for the second race and they were well and truly off by end. Extra 2 laps was worth the mediums.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
I have moved from the long Ethernet cable snaking across the hall to EoP without any loss. (Not to mention EoP access at the other end of the house 25 metres!) You need to check my ping but i have noted ~30 normally in FPS and AC
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:51 AM »
.. I did see a funny looking purple car in-between the DTMs!

Wait a second... I have a funny looking purple car!  :D
I was in a DTM though, but mine was tuned down so as not to show up any of you pros! I was also still on the same set of softs from last week...

I was there at the chicane in race one. I swear I behaved and didn't hit anyone.. though I was looking for Marty, my neck is still sore from the practice race hit... ;)
I did see you spin Wally, I gotta say, when these bumps happen, it's not very natural looking and seems a bit of bad physics. Just a small bump and the cars spin wildly and fast.

I had a blast last night, my shoulders are genuinely sore today from being tensed up!
Race one I had to accidentally late brake and ram Grubbet off track to take his position.. (Hugs to Grubbet)
Managed to pick up a few more positions when people went off. big thanks to Rob for crashing his game, there was another position.
I had to concentrate hard to finish and hold my lap times.
  I achieved what I set out to do. To prove to Marty I could get a poor result.  :o 18th. With cars still running behind me.

Race two, I didn't throw down a qualifier so I would be well out of the way on the grid. It's a great to see all the cars so close going through the 1st chicane, even onto the second.
It doesn't take much to mess up a race, I pounced on the mistakes of a few of the fast guys and was up in amongst it again.
Being a noob I was more concerned in giving room than taking race line advantage. I did mange to hold up Bird and I think Rob for a lap so I hope you guys at the front appreciate that.  ;) The pressure of lap 3 got to me and I chocked big time and went off.
  Still, managed to finish the race.

Monza is my most practiced track. I think i'll be back to being lapped next week!

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

Well it seems microphones are my nemesis... :)
Race 1. Ran out of fuel! My gauge lied to me!
Having fun picking up the fast drivers in the slower cars, cautiously overtaking, only to ease off mid corner when I was little close to Bird late in race...
Topped up and finished a lap down.
Race 2. Ran out of fuel, must be the gauge if it happened twice in row! :)
At the time I didn't know I was going to run out of fuel, but I was running 10th slowly edging up, only to find at Roggia a couple of cars came to grief, short lived rise in the field, with sliding/reentering cars, when I finally stopped spinning I WAS ALL ALONE! What happened!
Started to catchup only to run out of fuel.

Even though there is a whinge in here, having great fun in these cars and AC!

Glad you had a good night too Dick...
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
Your paint job looks great in-game Dick.  I wanted to sit side-by-side with you in the race so I could take a look!  Actually, that might be a good excuse for me spinning off the track.

Despite a bit of off-roading last night I really enjoyed it.  In the first race there were a few offs as a result of various bumps but I think the same thing happened to those ahead of me and I ended up in front of Darren and co. and cruised around till the end.

Second race was a bit more disaster-riddled for me but fun all the same.  Darren qualified ahead of me and I was following him into the Ascari chicane (second last corner).  When I went around the first left part of that chicane I was presented with the view of someone who had spun and lay waiting in the middle of the track, so I went straight into the back of Darren who was trying to slow down as well as the car that had spun.  I then had to wait for everyone to go past before rejoining in what must have been in last position.  I came up to the back of another pack this time on the second Lesmo (second right hander after the second chicane) and there must have been some carnage as there were cars everywhere so I took evasive action and went straight for the grass on the outside of the track around the outside of a few cars.  Anyway I ran out of grass and slowly moved over to the track only to find that there must have been another car just beside me as my back end got pushed out and I nose-dived into the fence.  So then I started my journey again and hung off the back of Ysu/Bird for a bit before overtaking into Ascari.  I was catching another group of 3 or 4 cars and was only a few seconds behind on the second last lap when I got a bit too aggressive and a bit too sideways through the second Lesmo and nose-dived once again into the wall.

I enjoyed coming back through the pack though, and despite a poor result in race 2 I had more fun in that than most of the other races where it has been a bit lonely with people quite a few seconds in front and behind.  It was apparent that most of the incidents happened in the first 3 or 4 laps, and after that once the field had settled out it was fairly straight forward.

Thanks Wally for a great night once again.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
Had a couple of good races with Bacchulum, we were both the most consistant racers of the field in both races so you could imagine doing that for 22 laps. Race one I managed to hold first with very little seperating us across the line. Race 2 I grabbed pole and we quickly resumed our race one battle, I made an error and Bacchulum was good enough to get by cleanly,  it was a positive experience to sit behind him for a few laps to see where his braking points were and gave me some confidence to see which corners I felt stronger in and which corners I needed to work on. Bacchulum made a slight error and I was able to take back the lead until the end. Again .3 seperating us over the line.

Btw, for one reason or another I found teamspeak very distracting last night and in my intense battle in race one I asked people to quiten down, sorry for this. I didnt mean to say dont have fun I just found it hard with full blown conversations going while racing.

Well done Bacchulum and Bj on podiums and go Rennosport  ;D

Thanks for the racing and thanks Wally for the quick results posted last night.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal