Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Mugello Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat  (Read 74208 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Good vid, Marty, you've too much time on your hands :)
Check how little time I had to avoid you in R1 - it's a miracle I was actually able to !

When I checked the replay I was quite amazed it wasnt a huge wreck with everyone being involved. Rob just got unlucky as he wouldnt have seen where the car ended up and then his car parked nose inti the wall losing him even more time then it cost me.

I wanted to do a full race highlights video with everyone but that would take forever to find each persons highlights. I figured I saw nearly every other car during the race at some point it would kind of do the same thing.  ;D

Was very similar to both of my races at Silverstone actually as I seem to make a habit of losing spots during a race. Either start in the pit or get pit manouvered at some point early lol, only the races I have lead start to finish have been much less eventfull and quite boring at times. I see why Guybrush wants reverse grids as unless you have a proper battle out front its just a hotlap session for the most part.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Round 3: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Have to agree - a great night's racing. Either everyone is giving me a wide berth or I am getting better (more relaxed?) driving in traffic. ;)

Race 1 start was really good since I was mid pack and worried that I would get tangled up in turn 1 but everyone seemed super aware of other cars and we got through it without incidents (?). I then just tried to keep consistent and keep a lookout for the clouds of smoke that kept appearing. My race position kept improving each time I passed one of these clouds - not sure if this is a bug? Pretty happy with my finish but it was very much "inherited".

In Race 2 I got a fantastic start. Not sure what happened but the cars ahead of me all pushed over to the left and I had to go right. Ended up with clear track ahead and ended up 5th after turn 1 from about 11th on the grid. Then I was sweating because I had all these fast guys hunting me (I won the most hunted award!). Man, that was pretty intense watching out for cloud ahead and overtaking cars behind. Luck I had my new quadraphonic sound so I could hear the angry buzzing of the  cars coming up behind me :) I also never really felt comfortable with the car in the second race - forgot about the track grip starting low and lost confidence in my hard tires. Managed to finish 10th I think due to more cloud bugs.

Thoroughly enjoyable to be in the mix.

Seemed to me that having more severe consequences of spinning (ie getting beached) leveled the field a bit in this race. Is that what others also felt from this round?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:40:23 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
Well done Guybrush on the wins, I didnt really have the pace to hurt him. Race 1 was quite fun even though I did a silly error being gready on the exit of t5. I missed the apex but didnt want to lift as Wally was pressuring and I was trying to get out to pull out a gap so he couldnt draft me down the straight. This resulted in a big tank slapper and into the wall but spun back onto the track. Rob got unlucky as he was blindsided by the 2 cars ahead of him and he nailed me just as the car stopped across the track.

I then had to try fight back dropping to about 10th there then unfortunatly had a coming together with Glen as I got squeezed with nowhere to go as I was inside. I locked up once I saw he was turning in but we hit and I spun into the grass and nearly everyone got past. I ended up 17th when I rejoined and then just tried to fight my way back with a few good battles especially the last lap and half with Rob and Gwyer. In the end finished 8th so at least I got some points out of that messy race of mine.

Here are my lowlights and highlights from race 1 in a video.
[youtube]TLQuyhG0hO0[/youtube]

Race 2 the first 2 laps were almost Identical as with Wally again challenging and passing on the draft lap 2, we had a good battle and he did start to pull a little gap so I needed to push a bit to make it up. Finally got by and a few draft passes each it was shaping up to be a fun battle with Guy a second or so ahead but pulling ahead more as we slowed eachother down with some side by side action. Sadly Wally spun on the last corner then I just tried to chase Guybrush.

Luckily for me had had an off and so I was able to catch him and even get past a little later. We were close for a few laps then he got by and I made some small mistakes where he started to pulk a little gap. I was pushing hard then ended up spinning on the second last lap, got pretty much beached but just got out a few seconds ahead of Rob. With dirty cold tyres he was gaining quickly. I tried pushing for a fastest lap on the last lap but ran wide exit of 6 and nearly lost it again. Then just had to try hold Rob off to the line.

Was fun especially all the passing in race 1 and battles with Wally, Guy and Rob in both races.
Hey Marty, I didnt see where you were when we came together as you were right in my blind spot, i reckon next time give a holla on TS saying "inside"  or what ever. You had made good ground watching the video but I had no idea you were that far up, if I had of known, room would have been given.

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »
Cramjet managed to throw down 3 consecutive laps in qualifying of 1:47:767.
 a lot of people did at least two laps one after the other. exact same times.
suspicious? buggy? normal?

That's where you pit in from a previous lap, in Cramjets case he pitted after completing a 1:47:767 then when you come out of pits Assetto throws out the last recorded lap of that driver time again, so it gets recorded as such to results, in Cramjets case, he would have pitted again and came out a third time and recorded again the last known lap.

That's right, if you exit pits your previous lap shows up as you cross the line. I was trying to get some laps down to improve the track, got a hot lap in at around 98% (that 1:47) and then two offs in a row. Are ya trying to get me in trouble Dick  :P

First race was just messy for me, kept losing concentration and making mistakes. Ended up dead last - the only people who I beat in the end screwed up worse than me! Learned a good lesson though - I previously would have gotten upset (at myself) for a couple stupid mistakes like that, instead I put in a few clean laps and learned how to place the car a bit better around here which really helped come race 2.

Race 2 was much better. Qualified 6th (I think) and got to 5th (maybe not reading Gratulin's post above) by the first corner. I haven't got much practice that end of the field so just put my head down and kept it clean. An error up front meant I snatched 4th nice and easy - was hoping for another to get on the podium! It gets a bit lonely when the front runners blast off into the sunset though :(

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
Good to read about everyone's races.

I was fairly happy with how I went in Race 1.  My plan is always to build pace, so I took the first couple of laps fairly tentatively and then got into the "zone".  I think every lap bar 1 or 2 was a session best so I was quite happy with that.  I was so fixated on making each lap better than the last that it was a complete surprise to me when the race finished.  I did almost overshoot T1 on one of my "non session PB" laps though as I was looking at Wally's lap time as he crossed the line.

I wasn't at all happy with how I went in Race 2.  I got too relaxed and made a small mistake on the 2nd lap (I think) which lost a couple of seconds to Wally and Marty.  Then I got into the "zone" again, but lost my concentration when I lapped someone and completely stuffed up my braking into T10 and went off and Marty got passed as I was re-joining.  Nothing at all to do with the back marker, I just got out of the head-space I was in and had a blip in concentration.  It was a fun battle with Marty for a couple of laps before I managed to pull a bit of a gap, but still doing fairly scrappy laps.  I may have just been mentally fried by then.

I had fun though and well done to everyone as there seemed to be very few multi-car incidents.  Especially into T1 at the start of each race.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
That's a pain, Phil. I just about think checking out internet availability is something you need to check out before you buy a house these days.
Sadly it does not mean squat.  I did my due diligence, moved in, and there were no ports available...:/
Ow. Note to self: never move.
Or get a Telstra 4G wifi device up front - it's better than most ADSL's, even the ping is pretty decent!
It can be had on pre-paid & plan.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »
Hey Marty, I didnt see where you were when we came together as you were right in my blind spot, i reckon next time give a holla on TS saying "inside"  or what ever. You had made good ground watching the video but I had no idea you were that far up, if I had of known, room would have been given.

All good Glen, its easy to get caught in a blindspot. It all happens pretty quick and I had a better run then I expected so it was quite a late move and I was just looking for my turn in point. Then once I saw your car come in I braked harder and locked up so was pretty screwed at that point with nowhere to go as I was commited so unfortunatly we made contact.

I actually thought I had a broken wheel as you can see in the video I was full lock opposite to the direction I was going at one point after that when trying to get back on track .  ;

Still its just a racing incident and these alway will happen with close racing, I was quite amazed in race 2 that there was no contact between me and Wally or Guybrush as we did get very close a couple times. When inside of Guybrush I was trying hard not to do the pit manouver we practiced a bit during the week as it would be a bit silly us taking eachother out.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2014, 12:09:03 PM »
That's a pain, Phil. I just about think checking out internet availability is something you need to check out before you buy a house these days.
Sadly it does not mean squat.  I did my due diligence, moved in, and there were no ports available...:/
Or get a Telstra 4G wifi device up front - it's better than most ADSL's, even the ping is pretty decent!

How is 4G for online gaming though?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »

How is 4G for online gaming though?

I've only used it in one race, there were no complaints.  It really depends on the latency, and it was quite decent, something around 50-60ms I think.  Considering it's 4G and wifi it's damn good.

But if you're in a patchy zone, there maybe problems.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
4G... that's mobile only right? Won't it chew through Telstras, pathetic, data plans in like one race?
I'd rather have zero coverage 24/7 with Vodajoke than ever use Telstra..... Can you fell the hate?  ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
4G... that's mobile only right? Won't it chew through Telstras, pathetic, data plans in like one race?
I'd rather have zero coverage 24/7 with Vodajoke than ever use Telstra..... Can you fell the hate?  ;)
I share your views, or rather did, on Telstra, but the fact remains; they've got the best coverage here.  I've tried voda & optus networks, they don't come close in data speeds, reliability & latency, pretty much anywhere around NSW where I've been.   And a funny thing is; they aren't that much cheaper after all.

I've this 4G device on prepaid, I've got some 12GB of data 1yr expiry for $160.   It's expensive, but this is the backup & travel device.   I don't download on it, so it lasts for months.
Here's the device and the prepaid data recharge price is on this page under "Prices within Australia"
mind you it seems to have gone up - $200/12GB.   But if you don't download on it, it lasts months. 

Gaming usually uses up surprisingly little of your traffic allowance. What you really need is low latency.

Btw data maybe cheaper on a plan, but only if you use exactly the amount of the plan - which will never happen.   And if you don't use half of it each month, it does not roll over so eventually it can be a lot more expensive!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:04:30 PM by Bird »

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »
I share your views, or rather did, on Telstra, but the fact remains; they've got the best coverage here.  I've tried voda & optus networks, they don't come close in data speeds, reliability & latency, pretty much anywhere around NSW where I've been.   And a funny thing is; they aren't that much cheaper after all.

I've this 4G device on prepaid, I've got some 12GB of data 1yr expiry for $160.   It's expensive, but this is the backup & travel device.   I don't download on it, so it lasts for months.
Here's the device and the prepaid data recharge price is on this page under "Prices within Australia"
mind you it seems to have gone up - $200/12GB.   But if you don't download on it, it lasts months. 

Gaming usually uses up surprisingly little of your traffic allowance. What you really need is low latency.

Btw data maybe cheaper on a plan, but only if you use exactly the amount of the plan - which will never happen.   And if you don't use half of it each month, it does not roll over so eventually it can be a lot more expensive!

Is that $160 a month? That's pretty over the top. I think telstra deliberately screw up other providers by keeping them away from using their equipment. I think it's only iinet who have started laying their own data cables?
I'm assuming 4G uses towers and satellites? satellites have some 20 second latency?

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
You could check if there is an NBN wireless tower you could connect to.  It's a satellite on the roof job.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »

Here are my lowlights and highlights from race 1 in a video.
[youtube]TLQuyhG0hO0[/youtube]

Nice video Marty. Can you trim it down a bit and post a link to it in the AC videos thread? Just a bit from the start (to show the size of the field) and then some of that good three-way racing around the 10 min mark. Put some blurb about the XGN Australian AC league - it's all good promo material.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Top night of racing last night last night chaps, much appreciated.  ;D

I did enjoy race one, had a great battle with Rolz at the end and managed to keep it fairly tidy all race.
Race two had a few more dramas than the first, starting off with the loss of audio at the line but thanks to who gave me the tip of 'hit esc and resume' I was underway again. I was way behind the field but was enjoying catching up and finding some good battles on the way.
Sadly, a few corners later he managed to beach himself, bugger about that.   
Yeah that was a weird bit. I was on the track going through those 2 flat out corners where I was bottoming out on every 2nd lap or so and I saw an orangy red flash of the chassis on the left of the screen and then it just shunted me off into the sand. I thinks I must have broken my skid panel or something?? Was a pity as I was beached after that but hey for my first AC race I was very pleased with the night.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal